Teen Forums




Go Back   Teen Forums » Teen Forum Community » Debate Forum

Reply
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Super Senior Member



 
Gender: Male
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 1,492
Money: 12,885
Last Online: 03-24-2011 02:26 AM




xNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to behold




African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

*I didn't intend for it to be this long but it's a good read*

This thread is so necessary because I feel like white people are less racist against black people than black people are. White people, I know that may say crazy to you but it's because you don't know what's going on; so let me fill you in.

For some reason, there is this tension in the black community between Light skin African Americans, and Dark skin African Americans. A lot of light skin people present themselves as if they are superior to dark skin people (African Americans of course). And dark skin people tend to not like light skin people because they act like they're better than us.

As a Dark skin African American teenager in high school, I have endured so many hurtful things regarding my skin color (even my own family). And most of it is from people of my own race. Not only has this brought down myself esteem (A LOT!), but it has also made me less trusting to my own race. Don't get me wrong, I have black friends, but they are black friends who accept me and themselves for being black people.

I know that immaturity has a lot to do with it, but why do you think Light skin African Americans, feel the need to come down on us darker ones? I consider myself to be damn good looking but for some reason, people (mostly African Americans) want to focus on my color. Why is it a bad thing that I'm Dark? Since when did the shade of my black, and the shade of a lighter skinned persons black, split us into two different races? At the end of the day, we're both still African American!

My theory of why Light skin African Americans come down on us darker ones is because they're insecure with being black themselves. They aren't proud of wear they come from. I can't tell you how many times of heard, "I'm glad I'm not that black." But why? Is it because your ashamed of your true color? Of who you REALLY are? You obviously don't want to bare your heritage loud and proud. And it's funny because, they're actually the ones who should be getting ridiculed. They must not know that the reason they are light skinned is because they're most likely a product of rape. Yes, I did go there because it's true. It's not secret that slave owners raped their slaves back in the day. So why should I be ashamed to look the way I do? I look good black and all.

Even though I sound harsh, I'm not an asshole. I love everyone for who they are. No matter what color, what disability, or what imperfection they may have. But if you have a shitty attitude or personality, that's when I'll tell you to go to hell. But yeah, our black ancestors and many others before us have fought for so much and stuck together the whole time and I feel like as black people, we should be loving each other instead of hating one another; the WORLD, should be loving each other instead of hating each other. color is SO irrelevant.

What is you view on this situation? What's your theory on the controversy?
xNerRadx is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Super Senior Member



 
BadaBing's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Gender: Male
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Leeds, England
Posts: 1,310
Money: 9,574
Last Online: 11-10-2012 02:56 AM


My Mood:


BadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond reputeBadaBing has a reputation beyond repute




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Thing I always see as the problem of racial discrimination is due to literally having the word "race" in their in the first place.

Using "race" as a cultural determinant has done nothing but promote racial discrimination.. The Egyptians were one of the first people to use the word so that they could kill the Libyians, as you can never kill one of your own.
This has been injected into generations of civilization which has given excuses to some races (the caucasian race specifically) to think they are superior to other races. The whiter you are the more superior you are... Even unintentially this is promoted through lighter skinned people.

I believe we cannot achieve anywhere near world peace unless the word "race" as a cultural determinant is taken away as most people seem to forget that wee are all the human race.

Thats my opinion anyway
__________________
BadaBing is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
 
Advertisement
Friends & Partners



Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
PENALISED
 
Gender: Male
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enigma
Posts: 2,917
Money: 1,488,965
Last Online: 10-28-2013 01:15 AM




Vice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond reputeVice has a reputation beyond repute




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Well I do the same thing to white people. Like the Irish, Scandinavians, and Dutch.
Vice is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
New Member



 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Money: 1,097
Last Online: 04-06-2011 10:46 AM


My Mood:


Heisenberg is a jewel in the roughHeisenberg is a jewel in the rough




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Can we please, as a species, just get over skin color?
__________________
I'm so uncertain, it's principle.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"We wear the mask that grins and lies"
Heisenberg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Super Elite Member



 
LOLFag's Avatar
 
Name: Derek
Gender: Male
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,293
Money: 15,422
Last Online: 07-17-2012 09:45 AM


My Mood:


LOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond repute




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Can we please, as a species, just get over skin color?
Seeing how humans are the only ones who discriminate, kill, and hate on its own species for no survival reason, just pure ignorance, I don't think this is a possible.
__________________
.::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

LOLFag is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Senior Member



 
xxjulyxx's Avatar
 
Name: julie<3
Gender: Female
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 887
Money: 4,383
Last Online: 03-11-2011 11:28 AM


My Mood:


xxjulyxx is a jewel in the roughxxjulyxx is a jewel in the rough




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLFag View Post
Seeing how humans are the only ones who discriminate, kill, and hate on its own species for no survival reason, just pure ignorance, I don't think this is a possible.
not true at all

animal racism - Google Search
__________________
This is the part of me that needs medication
This is the part of me that believes in heaven
xxjulyxx is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Super Elite Member



 
Controversy's Avatar
 
Name: R
Gender: Male
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: south yorkshire, sheffield.
Posts: 6,051
Money: 1,961
Last Online: 03-08-2012 08:25 PM


My Mood:


Controversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond repute




Send a message via Yahoo to Controversy
Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Im light skinned. I always make jokes about my dark friends, and they do about me. Its just a joke get over it. From what i see in england, lighter skinned and mixed race guys get all the nicest girls (of every race). I dont know how it is in the usa. Maybe just chill and take everything as a joke and it wont be so much of a big deal.

Im boutta add you though.
Controversy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Super Senior Member



 
mario_128's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: australia
Posts: 1,828
Money: 22,659
Last Online: 12-20-2010 05:43 PM


My Mood:


mario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant futuremario_128 has a brilliant future




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

In australia its the big fat ugly islanders that get the best woman of all races
__________________
mario_128 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Super Elite Member



 
Controversy's Avatar
 
Name: R
Gender: Male
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: south yorkshire, sheffield.
Posts: 6,051
Money: 1,961
Last Online: 03-08-2012 08:25 PM


My Mood:


Controversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond repute




Send a message via Yahoo to Controversy
Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

lol
Controversy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #10
Super Senior Member



 
Gender: Male
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 1,492
Money: 12,885
Last Online: 03-24-2011 02:26 AM




xNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to beholdxNerRadx is a splendid one to behold




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBritishPsycho View Post
Im light skinned. I always make jokes about my dark friends, and they do about me. Its just a joke get over it. From what i see in england, lighter skinned and mixed race guys get all the nicest girls (of every race). I dont know how it is in the usa. Maybe just chill and take everything as a joke and it wont be so much of a big deal.

Im boutta add you though.
It's a joke when you don't have the shit end of the stick. It shouldn't be a joke in the first place. If that was the case, it'd be ok for white people to make black jokes and is that the case?... No. So why are black people making jokes about other black people? That logic is pretty damn stupid; especially when black people in America are complaining about not being treated equally but yet, we aren't sticking together as a community. Instead, they wanna fight and kill each other giving the rest of us a bad reputation. Me and a couple of my friends were talking about it today, black people are so damn ignorant.
xNerRadx is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Super Elite Member



 
Controversy's Avatar
 
Name: R
Gender: Male
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: south yorkshire, sheffield.
Posts: 6,051
Money: 1,961
Last Online: 03-08-2012 08:25 PM


My Mood:


Controversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond reputeControversy has a reputation beyond repute




Send a message via Yahoo to Controversy
Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

"shit end". Was that a pun?

Where Ilive everybody is open to a joke. Whites, asians and blacks all make jokes (within reason) about eacother. I mean you even got dark vs dark in my old school (different countries) but it was light hearted and everybody was proud and never though of themselves as having the "shit end of the stick".

Are you even proud to be black.
Controversy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
New Member



 
RosettaStoned's Avatar
 
Name: Chelsea
Gender: Female
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Money: 668
Last Online: 01-30-2010 02:24 PM


My Mood:


RosettaStoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_128 View Post
In australia its the big fat ugly islanders that get the best woman of all races
Hahaha it's true. They're not ugly though


I think it's pretty funny when we'll (well, I'll speak to myself) be talking about something, like, "oh I met this guy the other day, he was Indian" like I feel the need to say their race? Also one of my good friends is gay, and he was about to be introduced to my other friend and I was like "his name is *his name*, he's gay by the way"... it's weird how we do that. Like him being gay doesn't change the person he is or anything, and it wouldn't change the other persons opinion (I'd hope)... but anyway. But I wouldn't introduce my friend to someone and be like "oh he's straight" or "oh he's white" (seeming as I'm white). I've noticed everyone else does it too, even when they're not racist or whatever.
After that realization - though I'd like to think I'm in no way racist or homophobic in the first place - I try to look at every human being as a human being, not a race. I also hate generalizations like 'Asians are bad drivers' and stuff.
No matter what colour someone is, I'll always judge them by their personality not their background. At least I'd try to.
Racist jokes are okay... as long as they're a JOKE.
__________________
"One day I will disappear, one day so will this comment, one day so shall you... fear nothing."
RosettaStoned is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Super Elite Member



 
LOLFag's Avatar
 
Name: Derek
Gender: Male
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,293
Money: 15,422
Last Online: 07-17-2012 09:45 AM


My Mood:


LOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond reputeLOLFag has a reputation beyond repute




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjulyxx View Post
Thanks, that gave me absolutely no scientific article about animal displaying racism. Most of the websites have people proclaiming the OPPOSITE, and the only "evidence" for animal racism can be traced to the animals' owners who display racism.

If you're going to use a link, make sure it LEADS SOMEWHERE RELEVANT and PROVES YOUR POINT.
__________________
.::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

LOLFag is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
Junior Member



 
Gender: Male
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 97
Money: 797
Last Online: 11-02-2011 10:56 AM


My Mood:


Barbeque has a spectacular aura aboutBarbeque has a spectacular aura about




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

nvm
Barbeque is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #15
Senior Member



 
Maximus1991's Avatar
 
Name: Max
Gender: Male
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 576
Money: 23,742
Last Online: 11-16-2010 03:49 AM


My Mood:


Maximus1991 has much to be proud ofMaximus1991 has much to be proud ofMaximus1991 has much to be proud ofMaximus1991 has much to be proud ofMaximus1991 has much to be proud ofMaximus1991 has much to be proud ofMaximus1991 has much to be proud of




Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNerRadx View Post
They must not know that the reason they are light skinned is because they're most likely a product of rape. Yes, I did go there because it's true. It's not secret that slave owners raped their slaves back in the day.
Well, first I have to object to this, lighter skinned African Americans are lighter because at some point in their gene pool there was more white members. While some of this certainly came from being raped back in the day it has been almost 150 years since then and there have been many interracial couples since then so, just because someone is lighter doesn't mean they're ancestors were raped.

Now, see I felt bad about that because I do sympathize with your plight. I grew up in a school where 75% of the students were African American and the biggest hating went down between African Americans and other African Americans. I think it is just another way people can distinguish and draw lines between each other. As humans, especially in adolescence we feel better when we have someone to hate on and a small group of people who we can count on. If as a culture, we can draw a line down the middle of the African American demographic we will. Such is life and I think the only thing you can do is not participate and try your hardest to shrug off the ignorant insults thrown your way.
__________________
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
~ Maximus from The Gladiator
Maximus1991 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes


 
Friends and Partners



All times are GMT +6.5. The time now is 03:49 AM. Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
Ad Management by RedTyger