"A Separate Peace" Help?

• "A Separate Peace" Help?

Has anyone read this before? I had to read it for my summer reading project, and I had TONS of questions to answer for it. I've finished the book, and I there's a lot of questions I don't understand. If you've read it before, do you think you could help me with it a little?

Thanks! :D
      [INDENT][CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
      [/INDENT]
    • Re: "A Separate Peace" Help?

Alrighty well I'm just gonna go ahead an post all of the questions I need help with

Chapter One
      1. Looking at the stairs in the First Academy Building, what surprising fact does the narrator (identified in Chpater 5 as Gene Forrester) realize he had overlooked about them? Why is this important?

2. Why Must Gene, against his better judgement, jump from the tree? How does this and his later "wrestling match" with Finny affect their relationship? What does this tell you about the personalities of the 2?

Chapter Two
      1. When Finny insists they jump from the tree again, why do you think Gene agress to it, even though he is obviously afraid to do so? I Gene's reaction ro "peer pressure" a typical one?

Chapter Four
      1. Finny tells Gene he would be so jealous, if Gene became head of their class, that he'd kill himself out of envy. Gene helieves Finny is telling the truth. What other reaction could Gene have had? Why do you think he choe to react in this manner?

2. After Gene jounces the llimb, he hears FInny hit the bank with a thud. Why do you think Gene jounced the limb? Was his action oremeditated? What were his thought about himslef and Finny just prior to the jump? Gene then jumps fromt he limp for the first time without fear. What explanation can you off for this?

Chapter Seven
      1. Why do you think Gene is unable to say he had pushed Finny out of the tree? What had he promised himself he would do when Finny returned to Devon? What effect might his admission to the other boys of what he had done have on the relationship between him an Finny?

Chapter Eight
      1. What is the plan Finny develops for Gene? Why does Finny develop a plam amd why does Gene agree to it? What could this show about the mental state of each boy?

2. What are bnoth Gene and FInny startled by? What do the boys do about this discovery?

Chapter Twelve
      1. As Gene watches Finny being carried out in the cahir, he states that he again had the feelin "of having all along ignored what was finest" in Finny. What do you think Gene was referring to?

2. Gene tells FInny that what he did to him wasn't "anything personal", that it was just "some ignorance inside" him., "something blind:. Is Gene telling FInny the truth? Recall Gene's realization right before the jump that there hadn't, after all, been any rivalry between him and Finny.

3. Gene the adult states that he had never cried about Finny, that at Finny's funeral he had a feeling it had been his own. What do you think Gene Means? Recall his earlier remark that his purpose had been to become part of Finny.

Chapter Thirteen
      1. Mr. Hadly tells Gene and Brinker that one's greatest moment, greatest privilege, is to serve on'es country. He goes on to say that the "old guys" like him are proud of the young ones going off to war, and jealous of them too. Brinker then angrily tells Gene that the "old guys" are responsible for the war but that the young ones will have to fight it. Comment on these two divergent opinions about war. Do you think thay are typical of all the older an dyounger generations?

2. Gene states that everyone he ever knew, except for Finny, found themselves "pitted violently against something in the world around them", and that his "hostile thing" broke "the simplicity and unity of their character." What kind of "hostile things" do people find themselves pitted against? Is Gene just refferin to such things as war, or is he perhaps refferinf to other types of conflict that cause people to change?

3. Gene comments that he was ready for the war since he no longer had any hatred to contribute to it. What does he mean by this?

4. From Gene's experience with his own "enemy", what conclusion does he come to about enemies in general? What do you tink Gene is suggesting about human nature in the last paragraph of the novel?

Thank you for reading this. I've read the chapters over and over and I just don't understand any of these questions at all :/

Any help is appreciated, and THANKS!! in advance! :D
      [INDENT][CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
      [/INDENT]