Twisted Love

• Twisted Love

Just something I wrote back when I was 17. Always wanted to see someone act it out but all my friends that took drama were girls and it doesn't quite work the same I don't think.

Twisted Love

Setting: A small and slightly messy room, with clothes lying all around the floor and various pieces of trash mixed in. A few posters are up of sports and various movies. A small twin bed is lying in the back corner with a small table beside it. A cabinet stands opposite the bed with a TV on top. The only light comes from a small lamp that is lying next to a black LCD alarm clock on the bedside table.

Actor Description: Only one person is in the room, sitting on the bed with his head in his hands at the start of the monologue. He looks young, almost 14, but in reality he is almost 17. Adding to the distortion are his clothes, which hides the fact that he is actually very skinny. He looks confused or nervous, maybe even unnerved.

Acting Directions: The actor should seem very random in his words and thoughts, almost unorganized as he says things that come to his mind without thinking about them first.

(Deep Breath) What was I supposed to do? Punch him? Abandon him? Tell him to never come near me anymore? I…I didn’t feel the need to do any of those things…I didn’t want to. All I did was sit there and stare at the floor while he told me everything in between his faint sobs. What else can you do when your best friend tells you he loves you? It wasn’t really a shock…I mean, I had thought that he might for like a month now…but when it turns into a fact…coming from the very person…everything becomes much clearer than before. When something like this happens, without even telling it to, your brain picks up hints and small gestures in the past that should have let you know what was really going on. Like, it always seemed he wanted something more or he would always become sad and non-talkative when I told him how much I liked the new girlfriend I hooked up with. In fact…he told me it’s been about two years since he began to feel this way about me, and I had only just started to notice something! It makes me feel kind of stupid for not seeing it before. When he finally told me...everything seemed so obvious.

(Stands up from the bed and begins to pace around the room with his arms crossed)

Why didn’t I see it? Why should I have? He was my best friend, not someone who stared at you from across the classroom or…or passed you an anonymous note with only three choice words written on it. (Stops Pacing) No…he was the person who sat next to you throughout high school while you talked quietly back and forth, copying each others paper so you could get done faster. Just a few minutes ago…I realized that I had never truly noticed the way he looked at me every now and then, like he was daydreaming or something. I did see it…but it was always a sad, solemn look. I never would have thought it was because he loved me. (Resumes pacing with a pause) I think I know why it was always a sad look though. He knows that we…can never really be together. I’m straight and he’s…well…not. It has to be bad for him…but a part of me wants to understand why…why he is the way he is…why he loves me.

Him and I have been friends for…for years now! Best friends! Sure, we’ve had our fights and such, but one of us always made up for it any way we could. We didn’t want to lose our friendship over some stupid squabble. But this is something different…way different. I wonder how things are going to be now that it’s out in the open. I’d like to think it would remain the same as it has always been, but history and experience say otherwise. Things will change whether I want them to or not.

(Long Pause)

Love is…is hard enough as it is…but when it comes from your best friend…its just that much worse. Love can't be explained in words…it just can’t. No one will ever be able to, even if the whole feeling of love is coursing through their body at that very moment. It can't be put into words. Of course…I do love him…just not in the same way.

(Leans his forehead against the nearest wall with his eyes closed)

So what can I do now? What can I possibly say to him that would put some closure on this and make both him and me feel better about all this…if something like that is even possible… Should I just tell him flat out the way I feel, that I could never return his love the same way? Or should I leave that whole part out and tell him that I really don't mind and I still want him as my friend?

Who's the guy that said ignorance is bliss? Well…he was right that's for sure. I'm glad that he told me and got it off his chest…but my life would be so much better not knowing about this twisted love. (Turns around and leans his back on the wall) Him and me will just have to talk it out together…if he's willing. I hope to god he is, ‘cause the only way I’m going to get through this is if I work it out with him. Just like when we were normal friends…we always worked it out together and I'm not going to let that change...

(Turns around when he hears a faint knock on his door. He takes another deep breath and opens it slowly as the lights fade.)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=3]
      [/SIZE]