Pinned Popular Drugs, Their Effects, and Substance-Related Disorders

• Popular Drugs, Their Effects, and Substance-Related Disorders

Popular Drugs, Their Effects, and Substance-Related Disorders

By Chris

Introduction

With the assumed success of the mood disorders guide, I figured it a good idea to write something on a subject more of the people on this site can relate to. In the guide, I’ll be using information primarily from the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Text Revision, other sites I feel are truthful and trustworthy (such as Erowid), and my own personal knowledge on the subject. I’ll cite where necessary.

As with the other one, when I list the disorders and their symptoms, in no way does that take the place of talking to a medical professional. Also, nowhere in this guide will I promote drug use, nor do I promote it in making the guide. I believe this information is some of the most important information any teen can get. Most kids hear it from the wrong sources, however; their peers. Although I’m a peer of yours, I’m directly citing the known medical literature on the subject (as well as organizations dedicated to giving people truthful information on the subject), which is held to high esteem and validity. Drugs can be very dangerous if misused, and although we can never stop teens from using drugs completely, we can arm them with information that will allow them to make rational decisions with a backing in scientific fact. In the guide I’ll only list the most popular drugs, for the sake of time and relevance. The drugs I’ll be covering are alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, opiates, and inhalants. I feel these are the most commonly encountered drugs today, being that I was once a high schooler too. I’ll also be covering substance-related disorders.

You may not agree with some of the things in this section (I’m expecting some backlash with the marijuana section), but take it as it is. You can post suggestions, but don’t attack me. I will chime in with some opinion (in the guide itself), but this isn’t a debate thread.

I hope you all get a lot out of this guide, and hope that you will always make the right decision, and try your best to stay away from these drugs (though you probably won't listen to me).

Substance Use Disorders

Substance Dependence

Substance dependence can be a complicated topic to explain, but I'm going to try to put it in the simplest terms. According to the DSM-IV-TR, there "is a pattern of repeated self-adminstration that can result in tolerance, withdrawal, and compulsive drug-taking behavior" (DSM-IV-TR, pp. 192). Craving the substance is a very prominent feature of dependence to a lot of the substances out there. Withdrawal symptoms are also not present in all substances, such as hallucinogens. To sum it all up for you guys, here is a direct quote from the big orange book of psychological knowledge. These are all the criteria for substance abuse:

DSM-IV-TR wrote:

A maladaptive pattern of substance use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

(1) tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
      [INDENT](a) a need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or desired effect
      (b) markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance[/INDENT]
      (2) withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:
      [INDENT](a) the characteristic withdrawal syndrom for the substance [...]
      (b) the same (or a closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms[/INDENT]
      (3) the substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended
      (4) there is persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use
      (5) a great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance (e.g., visiting multiple doctors or driving long distances), use the substance (e.g., chain-smoking), or recover from its effects
      (6) important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use
      (7) the substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance (e.g., current cocaine use despite recognition of cocaine-induced depression, or continued drinking despite recognition than an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption)

[and so on]

Substance Abuse

This one I will keep a bit shorter. Basically substance abuse is defined as being use of a drug when it hinders you from your obligations, you use it when it’s physically hazardous (like driving a car), you get into legal trouble, and you don’t stop even when you have problems with friends, family, coworkers, etc. having to do with the drug.

Substance Withdrawal

I skipped over substance intoxication, because we all know what that entails. Plus it’s very subjective drug to drug. Withdrawal is easy to understand. When you stop using a substance, you are ailed with a substance-specific syndrome (i.e., withdrawal symptoms) and it causes distress in social environments such as at home and at work.

All of the above, from the DSM-IV-TR, pp. 192-202.

Popular Drugs

Cannabis

Street Names: Marijuana, ganja, tree, pot, and many, many others
      Class: Sedative, Stimulant, Hallucinogen
      Legality: Schedule I Controlled Substance Federally, Decriminalized in a few states, Medical use permitted in several states

You all know what marijuana is. Marijuana’s plant name is Cannabis, and comes in three varieties; indica, sativa, and the more rare ruderalis. The plant produces aromatic, sticky, budding flowers which people remove from the plant, dry, and smoke to achieve a psychoactive effect. The main chemical in the plant, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), along with the anti-psychotic drug cannabidiol, produce the desired “high” that users get from the drug. Before entering the brain, inhibitory neurotransmitters are are active in the synaptic cleft, preventing dopamine from being released. Put simply, THC mimics a naturally occurring brain chemical called anandamide, which is responsible for allowing said dopamine to be released. When in the brain, THC binds to these cannabinoid receptors, causing dopamine to be released, producing the high. The high can be quite pleasant for a majority of users, leading them to use it again. These include:

Erowid.org wrote:

POSITIVE
      -mood lift, euphoria
      -laughter
      -relaxation, stress reduction
      -creative, philosophical, abstract, or deep thinking : ideas flow more easily
      -increased appreciation or awareness of music; deeper connection to music; increased emotional impact of music
      -increased awareness of senses (eating, drinking, smell)
      -change in experience of muscle fatigue; pleasant body feel; increase in body/mind connection
      -pain relief (headaches, cramps)
      -reduced nausea, increased appetite (used medically for this)
      -boring tasks or entertainment can become more interesting or funny
      NEUTRAL
      -general change in consciousness
      -increased appetite, snacky-ness
      -slowness (slow driving, talking)
      -change in vision, such as sharpened colors or lights
      -closed-eye visuals (somewhat uncommon)
      -tiredness, sleepiness, lethargy
      -stimulation, inability to sleep (less common)
      -blood-shot eyes (more common with certain varieties of cannabis and --inexperienced users)
      -mouth dryness, sticky-mouth (varies with strain)
      -interruption of linear memory; difficulty following a train of thought
      -cheek, jaw, facial tension / numbness (less commonly reported)
      -racing thoughts (especially at high doses)
      -time sense altered (for example, cars seem like they are moving too fast); time dilation and compression are common at higher doses
      NEGATIVE
      -nausea, especially in combination with alcohol, some pharmaceuticals, or other psychoactives
      -coughing, asthma, upper respiratory problems
      -difficulty with short-term memory during effects and during periods of frequent use (Ranganathan M, D'Souza DC, Psychopharmacology, 2006)
      -racing heart, agitation, feeling tense
      -mild to severe anxiety
      -panic attacks in sensitive users or with very high doses (oral use increases risk of getting too much)
      -headaches
      -dizziness, confusion
      -lightheadedness or fainting (in cases of lowered blood pressure)
      -paranoid & anxious thoughts more frequent
      -possible psychological dependence on cannabis
      -clumsiness, loss of coordination at high doses
      -can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders

Depending on the quality, the color can range from a dark ugly green to bright neon-like green. Some people will tell you the smell is similar to a less pungent version of a skunk. Hence the nickname skunk. Although many who are proponents of marijuana’s legalization claim that marijuana is not a gateway drug..well...they’re almost correct. There has been evidence of a high rate of polysubstance abuse related to marijuana. Although the marijuana may not have caused the person to try the harder drug, there is a concurrence of marijuana use alongside harder drugs. The bottom line on this subject is, do what’s right for you. Know your body, and know what you want to get out of life before you resort to trying hard drugs.

Another touchy subject amongst the marijuana community is whether or not marijuana is addictive. According to the DSM-IV-TR and information from NORML, marijuana dependency is rare, about one in ten smokers will experience it. These users report the development of tolerance, a criterion for dependence, and withdrawal to certain degrees, another criterion. Most would say marijuana is more psychologically addictive, where the high is pleasurable, and the person wants to seek out that high again and again, causing them to spend much time and money seeking it, using it, and finding more money to purchase more.

Is marijuana smoke bad for you? Of course it is. Inhaling any burning plant matter is bad for you. Among other physical problems, according to the DSM:

DSM-IV-TR wrote:

Associated physical examination findings and general medical condition
      Cannabis smoke is highly irritating to the nasopharnyx and bronchial lining and thus increases the risk for chronic cough and other signs and symptoms of nasopharyngeal pathology. Chronic cannabis use is sometimes associated with weight gain, probably resulting from overeating and reduced physical activity. Sinusitis, pharyngitis, bronchitis with persistent cough, emphysema, and pulmonary dysplasia may occur with chronic, heavy use. Marijuana smoke contains even larger amounts of known carcinogens than tobacco.

So there you have it, it’s not all rainbows and butterflies. But these are the facts, these aren’t watered down with bias, this is how it is. I know many hold marijuana close to them, and I’m not asking you to stop, but just be careful. Be responsible. If there’s anything you would like to see added to this section, just send me a PM.

Alcohol

Street Names: It’s not a street drug, but it has some nicknames, like drank and liquid courage :p
      Class: Sedative
      Legality: In the U.S., it is legal to purchase, consume, store, and transport alcohol if you’re over 21. Some instances, like religious ceremonies, allow people under the age of 21 to consume it. Drinking ages vary from country to country.

I’m not going to spend too much time on this one. Alcohol, ethyl alcohol, is a very popular drug, and it also happens to be legal for most people. “Among adults in the United States, two-thirds to 90% have ever consumed alcohol....” (DSM-IV-TR, pp. 220). It can also be very dangerous, with overdose happening as a result of what is called binge drinking (although there is no consensus between countries that defines what binge drinking is, Moreira et. al. define it as five or more drinks in two hours for males, and 4 or more in two hours for females [Moreira, MT.; Smith, LA.; Foxcroft, D.; Moreira, Maria Teresa (2009)]).

Alcohol comes in many varieties an potencies. The main types are beer, wine, and liquor. Liquor is the strongest of the three, being more potent by volume than either beer or wine (for the most part). One drink of wine or beer is roughly equal to one shot of high proof liquor. This varies greatly, because the potencies of liquor, beer, and wine, vary a lot from brand to brand, and from type to type. That being said, it’s really hard to gauge how much of the chemical alcohol you’ve been taking in during a drinking session. Using your best intuition as to how much you can handle will definitely keep you safe if you choose to drink.

Short and sweet, when alcohol enters the brain it binds to GABA receptors to make them more inhibitory, and binds to glutamate receptors, preventing it from exciting the cell. Basically, it slows you down very, very well. That’s what makes it so pleasurable, and gives you the following effects:

Erowid.org wrote:

POSITIVE
      -relaxation
      -mood lift, happiness, giddiness
      -talkativeness
      -lowered inhibitions / reduced social anxiety
      -analgesia (kills pain)
      NEUTRAL
      -slurred speech
      -flushed skin
      -drowsiness, sleepiness
      -nystagmus, difficulty focusing eyes
      -changed (often increased) response to sexual stimuli
      -tolerance with repeated use within a few days
      -changed aesthetic appreciation: normally beautiful things can seem ugly, things normally seen as ugly judged beautiful.
      -"beer goggles" — others appear more attractiveref
      mild visual distortions at high doses
      NEGATIVE
      (negative side effects increase with higher doses)
      -decreased coordination
      -nausea, vomiting (vomiting while unconscious can kill)
      -reduced impulse control
      -emotional volatility (anger, violence, sadness, etc)
      -reduced ability to attain/maintain erection in most males
      -increased difficulty in achieving orgasm in some females
      -frequent urination (more with beer or wine), diuretic effect
      -dizziness and confusion
      -blackouts and memory loss at high doses
      -coma and death at extreme doses
      -brain and liver damage (cirrhosis) with heavy use
      -lowered inhibitions and increased confusion can lead to unwanted and negative sexual encounters (date rape)
      -hangover, lasting 12-36 hours, from mild to severe after heavy use
      -fetal damage in pregnant women at high dose or frequency

Alcohol is a drug you have to be careful with. Irresponsible use of it can lead to serious injury or even death (from overdose, traffic accidents, etc.). Although some adults are guilty too, teens can be very irresponsible while consuming alcohol. It’s a bad idea in the first place for them, not only because they can get arrested and charged with underage drinking, but if they are under their parents’ roof, the parents can get fined for enabling the drinking. We’re talking big bucks.

If there is anything you would like to see added to this section, send me a PM.
      [CENTER]
      [CENTER]The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature; reason, honesty and love.
      The only demons we need fear are those that lurk inside every human mind; ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]
    • Re: Popular Drugs, Their Effects, and Substance-Related Disorders

Cocaine

Street Names: Coke, blow, snow, crack
      Class: CNS stimulant
      Legality: Cocaine in all forms is illegal in most parts of the world. In the United States, cocaine is Schedule I Controlled Substance. Its sale, production, transportation, and consumption is illegal and prosecutable under federal, state, and local laws.

“Cocaine, a naturally occurring substance produced by the coca plant, is consumed in several preparations (e.g., coca leaves, coca paste, cocaine hydrochloride, and cocaine alkaloids such as freebase and crack) that differ in potency due to varying levels of purity and speed of onset. However, in all forms, cocaine is the active ingredient. [....]

A commonly used form of cocaine in the United States is ‘crack,’ a cocaine alkaloid that is extract from its powdered hydrochloride salt..[crack preparation removed]. Crack differs from other forms of cocaine primarily because it is easily vaporized and inhaled and thus its effects have an extremely rapid onset. The clinical syndrome and adverse effects that are associated with crack use are identical to those produced by comparable doses of other cocaine preparations.” (DSM-IV-TR, pp 241)

For teens, this one is less common than alcohol or marijuana, but its abuse is still out there. Here are some statistics, taken directly from the website of the National Institute on Drug Abuse:

NIDA wrote:

In 2008, 5.3 million Americans age 12 and older had abused cocaine in any form and 1.1 million had abused crack at least once in the year prior to being surveyed. Source: National Survey on Drug Use and Health (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration Web Site). The NIDA-funded 2008 Monitoring the Future Study showed that 1.8% of 8th graders, 3.0% of 10th graders, and 4.4% of 12th graders had abused cocaine in any form and 1.1% of 8th graders, 1.3% of 10th graders, and 1.6% of 12th graders had abused crack at least once in the year prior to being surveyed. Source: Monitoring the Future (University of Michigan Web Site).

Not too, too prevalent, but still worth mentioning in this guide. Cocaine is a very powerful psychostimulant, and it’s misuse can easily cause death. This is going to be a little hard to explain, but I’m going to try to simplify it. Dopamine transporters are active in the brain, and remove dopamine once it’s done doing its job. Cocaine blocks the transporters, causing dopamine to bind over and over to the receptors. It is also very active in the reward pathway, causing it to be physically addictive.

Effects of cocaine:

Erowid.org wrote:

PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS:
      Varies with dose and the tolerance of the user. Increases alertness, wakefulness, elevates the mood, mild to high degree of euphoria, increases athletic performance, decreases fatigue, clearer thinking, increases concentration, increases energy, increased irritability, insomnia, restlessness. With high doses may exhibit a pattern of psychosis with confused and disorganized behavior, irritability, fear, paranoia, hallucinations, may become extremely antisocial and aggressive.

PHYSICAL EFFECTS:
      Increases heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, and sweating. Increases speed of respiration, dilates the pupils, decreased sleep and appetite. Can decrease seizure threshold and is associated with seizures, strokes, and heart attacks in susceptible individuals.

WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS:
      Although cocaine does not cause dangerous physical addiction, discontinuing regular use can lead to a wide varieties of (very) unpleasant withdrawal and craving symptoms, including: intense cravings for more cocaine, hunger, irritability, apathy, depression, paranoia, suicidal ideation, loss of sex drive, insomnia or excessive sleep, dizziness, shaking, and/or feeling cold. Although the withdrawal from heavy cocaine use is not as debilitating as the withdrawal from opiates or benzodiazepines, it is still usually quite unpleasant. Often, individuals simply take more cocaine to reduce these effects, leading to a pattern of habituation, dependence, and addiction.

OVERDOSE SYMPTOMS:
      Agitation, hostility, hallucinations, convulsions, high body tempertature (hyperthermia), stroke, heart attack, and possibly death.

There you have it. This drug, once again, can be very dangerous if misused. People should stay away from it, especially those with physical conditions that might be exacerbated by the drug. If you feel more should be added to this, just send me a PM.

MDMA, Methylenedioxymethamphetamine

Street Names: Ecstasy, X, XTC, Molly
      Class: Euphoric Empathogen; Stimulant; Phenethylamine
      Legality: MDMA in all forms is illegal in most parts of the world. In the United States, MDMA is Schedule I Controlled Substance. Its sale, production, transportation, and consumption is illegal and prosecutable under federal, state, and local laws.

Ecstasy is one of the most popular drugs in the world. It’s not very far behind alcohol and marijuana. Ecstasy is very popular in the club and rave cultures, because of its ability to lift mood, increase energy, and facilitate conversation. According to the NIDA, “1.7% of 8th graders, 2.9% of 10th graders, and 4.3% of 12th graders had abused MDMA at least once in the year prior to being surveyed [in 2008].” (NIDA, drugabuse.org, MDMA (Ecstasy) page). Pretty significant in my opinion.

One of the main problems with ecstasy use is the pills are usually never pure. More often than not, they are laced with everything from cocaine, to speed, to ketamine. Sometimes they may not have anything in them but caffeine. Methylenedioxymethamphetamine, the chemical in ecstasy, creates a torrent of different effects in the user. As with cocaine, there are structures in the brain called serotonin transporters, responsible for removing serotonin after its done doing its job. When MDMA enters the brain, it is taken up by these transporters. As a result, it causes them to do their job in reverse, sending serotonin back into the synaptic cleft, where it binds with serotonin receptors again and again, producing the high.

Effects include:

Erowid.org MDMA Vault wrote:

POSITIVE
      -mild to extreme mood lift, euphoria
      -increased willingness to communicate
      -increase in energy (stimulation)
      -ego softening
      -decreased fear, anxiety, and insecurities
      -feelings of comfort, belonging, and closeness to others
      -feelings of love and empathy
      -forgiveness of self and others
      -a sense of inner peace and acceptance of self, others, and the world
      -increased awareness & appreciation of music
      -increased awareness of senses (eating, drinking, smell)
      -increased pleasure from the sense of touch and being touched
      -life-changing spiritual experiences
      -sensations bright and intense
      -urge to hug and kiss people
      -analgesia, anti-nocioception, decreased pain perception
      NEUTRAL
      -appetite loss
      -visual distortion
      -rapid, involuntary eye jiggling (nystagmus)
      -mild visual hallucinations (uncommon)
      -moderately increased heart rate and blood pressure (increases with dose)
      -restlessness, nervousness, shivering
      -change in body temperature regulation
      -upwellings of unexpected emotion, emotional lability
      -strong desire to do or want more when coming down
      NEGATIVE
      (negative side effects increase with higher doses and frequent use)
      -inappropriate and/or unintended emotional bonding
      -anxiety or paranoia (less common than opposite)
      -agitation (less common than opposite)
      -tendency to say things you might feel uncomfortable about later
      -mild to extreme jaw clenching (trisma), tongue and cheek chewing, and teeth grinding (bruxia)
      -difficulty concentrating & problems with activities requiring linear focus
      -short-term memory scramble or loss & confusion
      -muscle tension
      -insomnia, inability to fall asleep when physically tired
      -erectile disfunction and difficulty reaching orgasm
      -increase in body temperature, hyperthermia, dehydration (drink water)
      -hyponatremia (don't drink too much water)
      -nausea and vomiting
      -headaches, dizziness, loss of balance, and vertigo
      -sadness on coming down, sense of loss or immediate nostalgia
      -post-trip Crash - unpleasantly harsh comedown from the peak effect
      -hangover the next day, lasting days to weeks
      -mild depression and fatigue for up to a week
      -severe depression and/or fatigue (uncommon)
      -possible strong urge to repeat the experience, though not physically addictive
      -possible psychological crisis requiring hospitalization (psychotic episodes, severe panic attacks, etc) (rare)
      -possible liver toxicity (rare)
      -possible neurotoxicity (controversial)
      -small risk of death; approximately 2 per 100,000 users have extreme negative reactions resulting in death (rare)

There’s not much else to say here. Ecstasy can be dangerous if misused. I think it’s something to be avoided. Even looking at the list of the negative effects of it should be enough to deter someone from using it. One thing I would like to debunk though, is the myth that ecstasy takes ice cream scoops out of your brain. This is simply not true. That rumor began back when MTV did a story on ecstasy. In the brain scans of people who had used ecstasy were these huge white spots where brain should be. What happened was, someone who was creating the documentary increased the contrast on the brains scans, giving the illusion that there were chunks missing, which also greatly exaggerated natural spots in the brain. I wanted to get that one out of the way.

If you feel something should be added to this section, send me a PM.

Opiates - Diacetylmorphine

Street Names: Heroin, dope, smack, junk
      Class: Analgesic
      Legality: Heroin in all forms is illegal in most parts of the world. In the United States, heroin is Schedule I Controlled Substance. Its sale, production, transportation, and consumption is illegal and prosecutable under federal, state, and local laws. Other opiates, such as prescribed painkillers, are legal under a doctor’s order. However, once on the street, they become illegal, and can carry some stiff penalties.

For the sake of time, in this section I’m covering only one of the opiates, in this case, diacetylmorphine, or heroin. I can add others by request. Heroin is a powerfully addictive painkiller, causing some of the most painful withdrawal symptoms of any substance. Heroin is most often snorted, smoked, or injected intravenously. It is a semisynthetic substance, derived from morphine. Morphine is a naturally occurring chemical in the opium poppy, cultivated in many parts of the world, including Afghanistan.

Heroin is not as prevalent as other drugs. According to the NIDA, “0.9% of 8th graders, 0.8% of 10th graders, and 0.7% of 12th graders had abused heroin at least once in the year prior to being surveyed [in 2008]” (NIDA, drugabuse.gov, Heroin section). Heroin is just something most teens don’t see, unless they’re very deep into drug culture. I’ve seen people on it myself, and I can tell you that it’s not pretty. The person was in school, laying on the ground. I do not understand how he didn’t get into trouble. He did eventually, however.

Heroins acts on opiod receptors in the brain. Before it enters the brain, heroin is converted back into morphine. Inhibitory neurotransmitters are active in the brain, which prevent dopamine from being released. When natural opiates, such as endorphins, act on opiate receptors, dopamine is able to be released. Heroins acts the same way as these natural opiates, and binds to the same receptors. This causes an immediate flood of dopamine into the synapse, causing a rush of euphoria. There are also opiate receptors on the brain stem, and when in overdose, this causes breathing to be suppressed, leading to death.

Effects of heroin include:

Erowid.org wrote:

Onset
      Intravenous injection can produce strong effects in as little as 3-5 seconds. Smoking produces milder effects within 5-15 seconds. Intramuscular and subcutaneous injection produce a more gradual onset in 5-10 minutes. Insufflated heroin produces effects within 2-10 minutes. Oral use can take 60-90 minutes to produce effects.

Duration
      When injected intravenously, smoked, or insufflated, heroin produces a wash of euphoria followed by a period of sedation lasting for 2-4 hours. Intramuscular and subcutaneous injection typically lack the initial wave of intense euphoria, and cause feelings of sedation lasting three to five hours.

Obviously, heroin is strongly addictive, psychologically and physically. Cessation of use can lead to painful withdrawal symptoms, and usually leads to relapse. Not only in there a danger in the chemical itself, the use of IVs to inject the drug can lead to infection, hepatitis, and even HIV. Sterile needle programs have been popping up in several European countries, and I fully support these programs. It’s a concept called harm reduction, where the best way to help the problem of addiction is to reduce the harms associated with the addiction. Heroin addicts need treatment, not incarceration. These people need to be treated, and taught coping methods to deal with their problems, not treated as criminals.

If you think there should be anything more added to this section, send me a PM.
      [CENTER]
      [CENTER]The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature; reason, honesty and love.
      The only demons we need fear are those that lurk inside every human mind; ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Inhalants

Street Names: Duster, freon, gasoline, etc.
      Class: Anaesthetic; Intoxicant; Dissociative
      Legality: Most of the chemicals abused are legal chemicals you can buy in any hardware store or at the gas pump.

Inhalants are most likely the most immediately dangerous drugs of abuse out there. Many of the substances that are abused in this fashion have a chance of causing death on first use, most notably computer duster (Intervention, Episode: Allison). These chemicals are very dangerous, and “their psychoactive effects may be inseparable from nerve and organ damage (Erowid Inhalants Vault).” It’s not naive to state that most who use inhalants are more than likely inexperienced teenagers looking for a quick, cheap, and legal high. The statistics from the NIDA back up this claim quite a bit:

NIDA wrote:

The NIDA-funded 2008 Monitoring the Future Study showed that 8.9% of 8th graders, 5.9% of 10th graders, and 3.8% of 12th graders had abused inhalants at least once in the year prior to being surveyed.

I certainly hope they’re not looking for a “safe” high, because they won’t find it with inhalants. This is one of the most foolish things you can do to your body. You will do damage by inhaling things such as paint, cleaning chemicals, gasoline, computer duster, and so on. When it comes to classifying them:

Ask Erowid wrote:

The classification of "inhalants" is one of convenience. There is no single chemical group which all inhalants fall into. Different organizations choose to define the grouping differently, but generally an inhalant is simply a chemical in gaseous form or a volatile solvent (liquid) which becomes a gas at the time of use, and which is inhaled by people for its psychoactive effects.

This is the one section of this that will serve as a warning. This is not something anyone should do. To give you an idea of the dangers of this practice, here is an experience from someone who posted to the Erowid experiences vault. This person huffed a somewhat large amount of computer duster and gasoline. The whole experience can be found here: Erowid Experience Vaults: Inhalants (Duster & Gasoline) - Flirting With Death - 67325

Erowid Experiences Vault wrote:

Suddenly I don't know why but the puking stopped and was unable to scream, my lungs still felt like they had been ripped from my body but weren't bad as before. I kept my eyes closed and all I could hear was evil laughter and steve urkels voice saying 'Did I do that?' over and over in different tones, that's when I lost all bodily function, I seized up stiff as a board and pissed and shit myself. the thoughts are a blur after that and I passed out. I woke up 2 hours later, I was still out of it not able to keep my mind on one thing and still seeing colors, but I remembered that I inhaled, I passed out again 4 hours later I woke up again still fucked out of my mind feeling like death I looked over and saw the disaster I made with the outer part of my forearm cut almost to the bone lying in blood with more still slowly seeping out, this made me extremely light headed and I guess I rolled more than I thought because there was blood all over my basement floor.

I crawled to the bathroom where I managed to wrap a towel around my arm the act of going to the bathroom made my pain and sickness 100x worse. after collapsing to the bathroom floor and puking the last of my bile I passed out again, the next thing I heard was my mother screaming. My parents were home and my mom had found me in the bathroom at first they didn't know what happened my mom stayed in the bathroom while my dad called 911 and looked around. He went in my room and then pieced together what I did. The ambulance got there and I was taken to the hospital where I was monitored givin drugs and a i.v. The doctor told my parents I may have givin myself brain damage.

After being in a chemically induced coma for 2 days I awoke and realized my strange surroundings, Only my mind was constantly wandering and I felt a major headache and couldn't think I could barely remember my name or my parents or friends. After 2 weeks I was let out of the hospital, with my parents aware of the damage I did to myself. All my mother could ask was 'Why?' My father has pretty well disowned me because I am not the same person I used to be, my brain is altered. It is 3 years later now I don't have friends because I can't socialize. I went from a normal healthy kid that was good in school with a high 80 average to a high school dropout who can't run 10 steps without having to stop for half a minute to catch my breath because I fuckt my brain and lungs up.

To this day I still have a pounding headache, and can't even walk straight this story alone took me over 3 days off and on to wright and without spelling check you probably wouldn't read it I know I am screwed for life all because of one dumb mistake. I can only warn others that its not worth it, and I wish I knew the dangers before I went and tried something stupid like that. My parents never left me home alone again.

I think you understand my point. There is no “safe” way of consuming these chemicals. They will hurt you, and they will do damage. If you feel this is anything that needs to be added to this section, send me a PM.

-----------

I hope everyone can get something out of this, maybe learn something you didn’t know. I just hope all of you stay safe through high school, and make good decisions. I won’t preach total abstinence to you, because you won’t listen to that, but do listen to this. If you choose to partake in any of these substances, use your brain. Find out everything you can. By no means do I condone drug use, but if you do, please be informed. Use credible websites and studies. One of the best places for unbiased and accurate information is Erowid, which I quoted many times throughout this guide. Don’t use the information in a way that hurts you. Above all, focus on school. Save the partying for when you’re out on your own, out of your parents house, and in a good spot socially, financially, physically, and psychologically. That’s the best advice I can give you guys.

Take care

-Chris
      [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I think we should add here what To do if ever a person is addicted to a certain substance. Ex. like inhalants. What I would do is to consult my doctor or find the nearest drug rehab center near my area. You can always ask help from family members so that they can help you in your time of need.
      Link removed by staff. You must have 50 posts in order to provide a link in your signature.

Poo-tee-weet? wrote:

Popular Drugs, Their Effects, and Substance-Related Disorders

By Chris

Introduction

With the assumed success of the mood disorders guide, I figured it a good idea to write something on a subject more of the people on this site can relate to. In the guide, I’ll be using information primarily from the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Text Revision, other sites I feel are truthful and trustworthy (such as Erowid), and my own personal knowledge on the subject. I’ll cite where necessary.

As with the other one, when I list the disorders and their symptoms, in no way does that take the place of talking to a medical professional. Also, nowhere in this guide will I promote drug use, nor do I promote it in making the guide. I believe this information is some of the most important information any teen can get. Most kids hear it from the wrong sources, however; their peers. Although I’m a peer of yours, I’m directly citing the known medical literature on the subject (as well as organizations dedicated to giving people truthful information on the subject), which is held to high esteem and validity. Drugs can be very dangerous if misused, and although we can never stop teens from using drugs completely, we can arm them with information that will allow them to make rational decisions with a backing in scientific fact. In the guide I’ll only list the most popular drugs, for the sake of time and relevance. The drugs I’ll be covering are alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, opiates, and inhalants. I feel these are the most commonly encountered drugs today, being that I was once a high schooler too. I’ll also be covering substance-related disorders.

You may not agree with some of the things in this section (I’m expecting some backlash with the marijuana section), but take it as it is. You can post suggestions, but don’t attack me. I will chime in with some opinion (in the guide itself), but this isn’t a debate thread.

I hope you all get a lot out of this guide, and hope that you will always make the right decision, and try your best to stay away from these drugs (though you probably won't listen to me).

Substance Use Disorders

Substance Dependence

Substance dependence can be a complicated topic to explain, but I'm going to try to put it in the simplest terms. According to the DSM-IV-TR, there "is a pattern of repeated self-adminstration that can result in tolerance, withdrawal, and compulsive drug-taking behavior" (DSM-IV-TR, pp. 192). Craving the substance is a very prominent feature of dependence to a lot of the substances out there. Withdrawal symptoms are also not present in all substances, such as hallucinogens. To sum it all up for you guys, here is a direct quote from the big orange book of psychological knowledge. These are all the criteria for substance abuse:

Substance Abuse

This one I will keep a bit shorter. Basically substance abuse is defined as being use of a drug when it hinders you from your obligations, you use it when it’s physically hazardous (like driving a car), you get into legal trouble, and you don’t stop even when you have problems with friends, family, coworkers, etc. having to do with the drug.

Substance Withdrawal

I skipped over substance intoxication, because we all know what that entails. Plus it’s very subjective drug to drug. Withdrawal is easy to understand. When you stop using a substance, you are ailed with a substance-specific syndrome (i.e., withdrawal symptoms) and it causes distress in social environments such as at home and at work.

All of the above, from the DSM-IV-TR, pp. 192-202.

Popular Drugs

Cannabis

Street Names: Marijuana, ganja, tree, pot, and many, many others
      Class: Sedative, Stimulant, Hallucinogen
      Legality: Schedule I Controlled Substance Federally, Decriminalized in a few states, Medical use permitted in several states

You all know what marijuana is. Marijuana’s plant name is Cannabis, and comes in three varieties; indica, sativa, and the more rare ruderalis. The plant produces aromatic, sticky, budding flowers which people remove from the plant, dry, and smoke to achieve a psychoactive effect. The main chemical in the plant, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), along with the anti-psychotic drug cannabidiol, produce the desired “high” that users get from the drug. Before entering the brain, inhibitory neurotransmitters are are active in the synaptic cleft, preventing dopamine from being released. Put simply, THC mimics a naturally occurring brain chemical called anandamide, which is responsible for allowing said dopamine to be released. When in the brain, THC binds to these cannabinoid receptors, causing dopamine to be released, producing the high. The high can be quite pleasant for a majority of users, leading them to use it again. These include:

Depending on the quality, the color can range from a dark ugly green to bright neon-like green. Some people will tell you the smell is similar to a less pungent version of a skunk. Hence the nickname skunk. Although many who are proponents of marijuana’s legalization claim that marijuana is not a gateway drug..well...they’re almost correct. There has been evidence of a high rate of polysubstance abuse related to marijuana. Although the marijuana may not have caused the person to try the harder drug, there is a concurrence of marijuana use alongside harder drugs. The bottom line on this subject is, do what’s right for you. Know your body, and know what you want to get out of life before you resort to trying hard drugs.

Another touchy subject amongst the marijuana community is whether or not marijuana is addictive. According to the DSM-IV-TR and information from NORML, marijuana dependency is rare, about one in ten smokers will experience it. These users report the development of tolerance, a criterion for dependence, and withdrawal to certain degrees, another criterion. Most would say marijuana is more psychologically addictive, where the high is pleasurable, and the person wants to seek out that high again and again, causing them to spend much time and money seeking it, using it, and finding more money to purchase more.

Is marijuana smoke bad for you? Of course it is. Inhaling any burning plant matter is bad for you. Among other physical problems, according to the DSM:

So there you have it, it’s not all rainbows and butterflies. But these are the facts, these aren’t watered down with bias, this is how it is. I know many hold marijuana close to them, and I’m not asking you to stop, but just be careful. Be responsible. If there’s anything you would like to see added to this section, just send me a PM.

Alcohol

Street Names: It’s not a street drug, but it has some nicknames, like drank and liquid courage :p
      Class: Sedative
      Legality: In the U.S., it is legal to purchase, consume, store, and transport alcohol if you’re over 21. Some instances, like religious ceremonies, allow people under the age of 21 to consume it. Drinking ages vary from country to country.

I’m not going to spend too much time on this one. Alcohol, ethyl alcohol, is a very popular drug, and it also happens to be legal for most people. “Among adults in the United States, two-thirds to 90% have ever consumed alcohol....” (DSM-IV-TR, pp. 220). It can also be very dangerous, with overdose happening as a result of what is called binge drinking (although there is no consensus between countries that defines what binge drinking is, Moreira et. al. define it as five or more drinks in two hours for males, and 4 or more in two hours for females [Moreira, MT.; Smith, LA.; Foxcroft, D.; Moreira, Maria Teresa (2009)]).

Alcohol comes in many varieties an potencies. The main types are beer, wine, and liquor. Liquor is the strongest of the three, being more potent by volume than either beer or wine (for the most part). One drink of wine or beer is roughly equal to one shot of high proof liquor. This varies greatly, because the potencies of liquor, beer, and wine, vary a lot from brand to brand, and from type to type. That being said, it’s really hard to gauge how much of the chemical alcohol you’ve been taking in during a drinking session. Using your best intuition as to how much you can handle will definitely keep you safe if you choose to drink.

Short and sweet, when alcohol enters the brain it binds to GABA receptors to make them more inhibitory, and binds to glutamate receptors, preventing it from exciting the cell. Basically, it slows you down very, very well. That’s what makes it so pleasurable, and gives you the following effects:

Alcohol is a drug you have to be careful with. Irresponsible use of it can lead to serious injury or even death (from overdose, traffic accidents, etc.). Although some adults are guilty too, teens can be very irresponsible while consuming alcohol. It’s a bad idea in the first place for them, not only because they can get arrested and charged with underage drinking, but if they are under their parents’ roof, the parents can get fined for enabling the drinking. We’re talking big bucks.

If there is anything you would like to see added to this section, send me a PM.

You missed out hallucinogens? (magic mushrooms, etc)