Fun in the Sun - An Immediate Mood Elevator

• Fun in the Sun - An Immediate Mood Elevator

Fortunately, for me, I had a really good reason to escape the end of winter in Northeastern PA. I had a business meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona hosted by TriVita — a company for which I sell nutritional products. The products work in tandem with my health coaching practice as the needs arise. Back in 2004 when I began cultivating a relationship with the fine folks at TriVita, the fact that the company is located in my favorite state in the USA was an added bonus. So, when I was invited to attend this event it took me all of ten minutes to scope out the plane fare. What a wonderful way to spend the last week of March — under the blue, sunny skies of Phoenix and Scottsdale.
      In the colder climates of our fine country, winter often invites us to remain indoors and eat comfort foods. But, not so in the great Southwest. With a little less than 8 inches of rainfall a year, the Scottsdale area is the perfect setting for power walks every day. During the summer months in Arizona, I’ll admit that it’s best to get any exerting, outdoor activity over with by 8 a.m. But, for the remaining 9 months there are NO excuses for not doing something “fun” outside.
      I stayed on McCormick Ranch. That, in itself, provided a beauty all its own. But, the best part of each day was hitting the walking trail right behind the home in which I was staying. It’s called the “Greenway” and it runs for miles in either direction with the prettiest scenery on the planet. Gorgeous southwestern architecture, flower beds, orange trees, forsythia trees, and sporatic benches line the greenway providing for a most invigorating and “it’s good to be alive” power walk. It’s truly a wonderful way to begin each day.
      In March, temperatures are between 55 degrees and 80 degrees in Scottsdale and Phoenix. So, any time of the day is perfect. It all depends on what you like. It’s a totally safe environment and often young children ride their bikes alongside of their parents while someone else will be roller-blading, jogging, or pushing a stroller with little ones. But, the power walkers and cyclists are the dominent forces on the greenway. Everyone smiles and beckons a “Good Morning” to all those on the path. This type of morning immediately reduces any cravings for coffee and donuts. It just makes you want to whip up a power drink in the blender of fresh fruit. After beginning each morning like this, my energy level was over the top. And — the perpetual sun and warm, arid breezes continued to energize me all day long.
      The good news is warmer temperatures are on their way for the rest of the country. Think about where you would like to power walk in your city so you can “get away from it all” for 20 to 45 minutes each day. You will reduce your stress, have more energy, and take off a pound or two. So, think spring!