OK New Year - Bring it On!!

• OK New Year - Bring it On!!

The holidays and presents and cookies and tree lights are long gone. But, how are those pounds doing?
      OK. Sorry I asked. You’re back at the office for a few weeks now and nothing has really changed. It almost feels as if the Holiday Season was a dream you had while sitting at your computer — head resting, cradled in a clenched fist on each side of your chin. WAKE UP!!!
      December 31st deadlines are over. It’s time to race to the March 31st deadlines now. “Initiatives” are now being implemented for the first Quarter. Don’t you just HATE that word — Initiatives? I often wonder what would happen at the office if that word were outlawed — FORBIDDEN to be used! We’d have to hold a meeting to nominate a synonym.
      Yep, it seems as if the Holidays never even happened. Yet, when you look in the mirror you have that ‘over-stuffed’ look and winter is leaving the signs of little sleep and cold wind under your eyes. Your workload AND your extra pounds are piled high. This little combo makes for a lousy night’s sleep and a completely drained feeling around 2:30 p.m. every afternoon.
      If you don’t have your own office — take a walk. Get away from your desk. Just don’t go by the cafeteria or vending machines in the stairwell. But, DO GO TOWARDS THE STAIRWELL! Just keep walking. Go the the first floor if you work on the third and go to the third floor if you work on the first. Leave the building and walk to your car and back. Get some air. I know it’s cold in the northeast. You still need air! Maybe you’re fortunate enough to live in a warmer climate. If that’s the case, you don’t even have an excuse for not leaving the building! As you walk, take slow, deep breaths. This will help to clear your head for the remaining hours at the office.
      If you do have your own office, close the door. An “open door policy” is a nice gesture. But, not for a time like this. Close your door and do 5 to 8 deep breathing exercises. Keep your eyes closed and really fill up those lungs. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. This is a great form of detoxing that most of us neglect to do. Bend forward from the waist and allow your head and arms to freely hang in front of you. Don’t over-extend. Just try to relax and experience a nice stretch. Slowly raise your trunk to a normal standing position and continue breathing deeply for one or two more times.
      These simple “escapes” from your computer will rejuvenate you during your mid-afternoon slump. You don’t need to take an unreasonable amount of time. Five to ten minutes will be extremely beneficial.
      One more tip to avoid afternoon fatigue: Try to reduce your carb intake at lunch. Those grilled ham and cheese sandwiches will get you every time. Try salads or a chicken breast and veggie. Practicing even just this ONE tip may enable you to drop those extra pounds.
      Remember, I truly believe that if you’ve been doing nothing, doing something means everything!