Incest

• Scaredycrow wrote:

I'm sure I've read (somewhere?)

That's great, but if I'm to be convinced I need the name of the book or at least a link of information.

Scaredycrow wrote:

Studies aside, if you look at it purely by probability, then yes, the probability of birth defects or that even a "bad" recessive gene is passed on increases quite dramatically. But like I said before, defects might not actually start showing up until a few generations later, so one isolated case of incest may not be a big deal if their children don't have incestuous relationships.

Well then there's the 'if'. If by allowing incest we have given way to the argument that to permit it is to permit free will, then to continue that line of logic we can't ban it in later generations, allowing them to continue in it (and if they've been brought up in that environment, surely they'll regard it as more normal?) and cause harm to children in later generations.
    [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
    [/RIGHT]
    [/CENTER]
  • I only really see it as an issue if it is to reproduce. if pregnancy is a result where a child has a higher chance of being born messed up because of gene manipulation then that is not good. So incest with a view to procreate I am against. But you can't say "well it's legal so long as you dont have a kid" because then accidents happen and those people would be breaking the law by accident. So possibly it's safer to make the whole thing illegal.
    But then again if you have consenting adults and no one is being hurt and they want to get sexual then why should there be a law condemming it. I dunno, hard one to call.
  • cherry_kiss wrote:

Agreeing with some of the above posts.
    It's not fair a child who will have to live with genetic disorders as a result of incest.

Just had a thought:
    Make abortions mandatory for couples who are immediate family. They have to sign a contract with the government saying that if they try to procreate with each other then the baby will be automatically aborted. Why not?
    [CENTER]I came; I saw; I conquered
    [/CENTER]
  • incest does not bother me, honestly. i wouldn't do it myself, but other people doing it does not bother me.

i'm aware that a lot of people are under the impression that if children are born, they might be unhealthy or even mutated in some way. it's not common knowledge i guess, but first-generation offspring from related parents have the same chance at having a deformity as those from non-related parents. it's when you begin further inbreeding beyond that point that deformities become a concern. and unless you practice incest beyond just a fluke relationship, and actually seek this out, the chances are low that your family is going to become one big incestuous sect like a polygamy cult living behind gates and stocked with guns.

you cannot help who you are attracted to. you can control whether or not you act on it, but in my personal opinion, a government should not be able to tell someone who they may or may not act on their attractions with. consensual is consensual, in my opinion, and adults are adults. being related does not change that.

whatever taboo-fueled views someone might have about it, that's their own issue, honestly. i don't let that cloud my own judgment; it's not fair to do that to myself.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Muppy wrote:

I'm actually shocked to the response in this thread. Fucking hell.

i am personally shocked at how many people know so little about the subject of inbreeding, personally.

such as your claim that the children always have problems; just plain ignorance.
    [SIZE=3]GFY[/SIZE]
  • Ok, I'm really not arsed reading through seven pages of this right now, but I'm just going to throw my own opinion out there anyway.

Incest doesn't bother me all that much. Sure, I think it's a little "ewwy", but that's my own personal opinion and shouldn't affect my ability to judge whether it's "right". I believe we have little or no control over who we love, and it's quite possible for someone to fall in love with someone they happen to be related to. Why not? It's not like you can help who you're attracted to, and you're bound to be pretty close anyway, and probably have a lot of things in common. It does kind of make sense.

The only issue I have with it is inbreeding. I know not all cases of relatives having children result in deformities in children, but there is a higher risk of it than with people who aren't. So I think people should think long and hard before having children with an incestuous partner, because even if they are willing and ready to be fully responsible for it, it's not fair on a child to have to live a life in pain and with disabilities just because the parents couldn't help themselves, when they knew there was a higher risk of the child having problems. But once they know the risks and are willing to support the child no matter what it needs, as I would hope any couple are, then it's up to themselves =/
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]
  • I don't see any harm in it so long as they don't procreate and so long as it's between two consenting adults. Love is love, and it's none of my business (or yours) who their feelings are directed towards.
    If you smacked a kid with a bottle of 'Johnson's No More Tears', wouldn't it create beautiful irony?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Matt93 ().

• clavicle wrote:

incest does not bother me, honestly. i wouldn't do it myself, but other people doing it does not bother me.

i'm aware that a lot of people are under the impression that if children are born, they might be unhealthy or even mutated in some way. it's not common knowledge i guess, but first-generation offspring from related parents have the same chance at having a deformity as those from non-related parents. it's when you begin further inbreeding beyond that point that deformities become a concern. and unless you practice incest beyond just a fluke relationship, and actually seek this out, the chances are low that your family is going to become one big incestuous sect like a polygamy cult living behind gates and stocked with guns.

you cannot help who you are attracted to. you can control whether or not you act on it, but in my personal opinion, a government should not be able to tell someone who they may or may not act on their attractions with. consensual is consensual, in my opinion, and adults are adults. being related does not change that.

whatever taboo-fueled views someone might have about it, that's their own issue, honestly. i don't let that cloud my own judgment; it's not fair to do that to myself.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

i am personally shocked at how many people know so little about the subject of inbreeding, personally.

such as your claim that the children always have problems; just plain ignorance.

This, exactly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE=4]"http://www.teenhutmagazine.com/"[/SIZE]
  • I understand people thinking that it's gross, but in all honesty, if a brother and sister really want to get it on, they aren't going to care if it's illegal. I think it's ridiculous that it was made illegal in the first place. Now marriage is a different story, but just having sex and not planning on kids sounds alright with me.
    [CENTER][SIZE="2"]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. Seuss[/SIZE][/CENTER]