Best friend ignores me except when he's bored or needs help in class (I'm a guy)

• Best friend ignores me except when he's bored or needs help in class (I'm a guy)

So my best friend, who I got even closer to this summer, ignores my texts and everything to do with me unless he has nothing else going on or he needs help with schoolwork. When we are in the hallway, he ignores me and just 2 months ago we were hanging out everyday and making trips downstate almost every weekend (we live in a preppy touristy area in northern Michigan [Harbor Springs] and it was our way to get out). Even though I rarely hang out with him, whenever he ignores me for other friends, i get a burning jealousy how can i control that? How should I handle this change? I've broken off friendships before but this one is too hard to let go. I just don't know what to do.
    • Re: Best friend ignores me except when he's bored or needs help in class (I'm a guy)

Do you guys have a different group of friends? Seems like you guys have more of an outside of school friendship, which i think is fine, i have a few friends like that and it seems to work out. Just try to hang out with him more outside of school i guess, but there's no need to stop being friends with him.
      [LEFT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/LEFT]
    • Re: Best friend ignores me except when he's bored or needs help in class (I'm a guy)

Well we have the same group of friends in a sense. I hang with his friends all the time and he does the same but he has been with them for less of a time. Idk. And I have some friends like that but this ones different for some reason. I will try the advice, Thanks a heap.

I'm the one putting the effort in. I call, I text. He blames it on his home life( I don't understand that cause both parents are doctors who care and are always there and he drives 5 carr that are his) which is bull. Idk what to do tho my reaction is always the same, "ok well what do I wanna do about it"

It's hard to let go of friends like that where you've been close. Right now, if he's not putting the effort in, the best thing to do is disipline yourself. Don't call anymore, and don't text. Every time you want to send him a text or something, text another friend. Occupy yourself. It's like getting over a girlfriend or boyfriend. You just have to get them off your mind. It's become a habit for you to text and call him, you just have to break that habit.

Another thing to help you with this, is to not help him when he comes to you. If he asks you for help with schoolwork, just say you're busy. As I said, this can be hard, but it's about disipline. Right now what you need to do is cut yourself off from him, and try and devote your time to something or someone else.

I hope things work out. I had a simular problem, and this is about what got me through it. Ending a friendship can be easy sometimes, other times hard. This is just a hard one, but with a bit of self control you can do it.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

ivaiva wrote:

Doesn't sound like best friend. I think you need new friends. I know that's hard but.... you can do it.

Agreed, best friends aren't afraid to be caught hanging out/talking to each other. I'd suggest bringing it up with him and if he dismisses it or gets angry about it, drop him. He's obviously not a true friend then.
      A friend in need's a friend indeed, a friend with weed is better.

I never sleep 'cause sleep is the cousin of death.

Thanks guys, every bit of this helped. I moved seats in my AP chem class and now i don't have to worry about him asking and that seemed nice. Also, i have found that he really isn't a best friend, although its gonna be hard, im gonna move on and maybe someday we can be friends again, thanks everyone for all your support! -MDK-

And Jenna, i tried that today and it really worked. the texting thing is so easy and makes it even easier. Super Thanks