18, still haven't finished highschool, options?

• 18, still haven't finished highschool, options?

Sorry, this is kind of long, but please read all of it before commenting so you know all the facts.

Hello, I'm 18 and haven't finished highschool yet, in fact I'm a freshman, again.
    In 2008 I started highschool, I was 15, then after going through a depression I gave up, I was having a hard time at home, and my friends were not so friendly anymore, so when there was one month left of school I gave up.

Then I started school again, a different school though, in the city, had to get on the bus at 6:30, and would only get home at 20:30, that's a lot of hours, I can barely stand for 10 hours without getting tired and falling asleep, I don't have much energy, especially when I don't exercise regularly.

Then I moved to another city, I had to be up at 5:50 to get the bus, so I gave that up, I wasn't going anywhere, constantly tired and with headaches, lasted about 3 weeks in that school, I liked it, besides the fact I was there too long.

So I was one year out of school in 2009, best year of my life, exercised as much as I could, trying to get my health sorted, scheduled some exams that never came, which sucks, my mum has some heart problems, I might too, but without an exam I don't know :confused:, so I can't get medication/stuff I can do so I'm not drained of energy as soon as I wake up.

Then, in 2010, I started school again, a programming course, I was excited because I like programming and computer related stuff, but when I got there I saw that I was miles away from the stuff we were doing, we start with a REALLY bad language, and the maths teacher assumed neither of us knew what a triangle was, in English lesson we do the verb "to be" every other lesson, a lot of Portuguese people have trouble with English, so they stick to the basics so the grades don't look bad compared to the rest of Europe.

Oh, I failed the year for not going to 2 English classes, here they are very anal about attendance, a bit too anal to be honest, not like I don't know English..

I now have 10 hours of school per day, doing shit I already know inside out, in this course they assure high positions to those with high grades, or they think they do, the one that graduated last year with a grade average of 17 out of 20 was unemployed for a year, now works at a coffee shop, and is starting to take drugs(I know his sister, she used to talk to me quite often).

On the other hand, I haven't even finished the course and have a job related to what I like at a local computer shop, not a lot of hours yet, take in about 150€/month, but I am in a sort of trial thing, he eventually wants me there full time(he considers 10AM, to 5 or 6PM full time, fine by me), which is about 475€/month with one day off, the guy at the coffee shop makes 320€/month working everyday except Sunday from 8:00 to 19:00.

The thing is, both these quantities are nothing, the average rent is 500€/month, 100€ for bills + food doesn't happen.

I would like to leave this country as soon as I can, those possible 475€ I may make are considered being paid well, with rents costing as much as they cost I couldn't keep an average lifestyle, my mum makes 300€/month on a good month(working illegally, if she was legal one third of that would go in tax), rent is 350€/month + bills + food, so about 700€/month, she gets the rest from dad, that obtains his currency by using illicit methods.

So, my question to you is, taking into account all that ^^

should I finish this shitty course to have highschool behind me in case I want to go to another country I can apply for college or something,? I would be 21 years old when I finished(I can't go to college here, I would have to move 600Km up north were we have colleges) + shit's expensive, 475€ on books only, + classes, and takes up all my time so I can't even work, meaning I can't afford a room nor food.

Or stay out of school and go to work and stay?

Advice? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I also don't have a driving license nor a car or motorbike because said license costs 600€ + a shitty bike costs 2000€ after import taxes.

I hate this place.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dexter. ().

• Re: 18, still haven't finished highschool, options?

I agree with above, at least you'll have it and not have to go back again in another few years should you decide you want a further education (or should a job you'd like require a high school education). Easy stuff can be boring, but all the more reason for you to just do really well and then be out of there. :)

Considering the money situation, dropping out doesn't look like a very stable option. What are summers like? Could you work at the shop full time when you're on holidays to make a little more than what you make part time?

Nah, if he needs someone and I'm not available he'll find someone else... I would work more hours + go to school, but I start at 8AM and finish at 6PM everyday :(

Are there any colleges that you can apply to without highschool? here they exist, but I have to be 24 years old...

Hm. I've never heard of any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist!

What about getting a high school diploma online? I honestly have no idea how that works, either. I've only known kids who were "homeschooled", though not by their parents - everything was online. I'm not sure it would allow you the flexibility to work full time, but you could probably work a lot more than you currently do, at least?

Scaredycrow wrote:

Hm. I've never heard of any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist!

What about getting a high school diploma online? I honestly have no idea how that works, either. I've only known kids who were "homeschooled", though not by their parents - everything was online. I'm not sure it would allow you the flexibility to work full time, but you could probably work a lot more than you currently do, at least?

They had an online highschool program here, but they shut it down because of budget cuts, I will see about moving, my family and I have always been restricted to this country, since my mum moved here she hasn't left(not by choice, tickets are expensive), I will see what I can do.

Dexter. wrote:

They had an online highschool program here, but they shut it down because of budget cuts, I will see about moving, my family and I have always been restricted to this country, since my mum moved here she hasn't left(not by choice, tickets are expensive), I will see what I can do.

Online High School | Online Middle School | Grades K-12 | Florida Virtual School (online schooling)

I do this from abroad (I live in a shite caribbean island). If I were in your shoes, I would take a part time job, and do this at home.
    [SIZE=3]Allow me to hold your[/SIZE] [SIZE=1](the ignorant masses and hordes of uncouth)[/SIZE][SIZE=3] face under the putrescent waters of knowledge[/SIZE]

Ne0 wrote:

Online High School | Online Middle School | Grades K-12 | Florida Virtual School (online schooling)

I do this from abroad (I live in a shite caribbean island). If I were in your shoes, I would take a part time job, and do this at home.

Hmm, I'll take a good luck at this, might be what I'm after.

It seems that you really hate high school and if you feel like you can succeed in life without a high school diploma, by all means go for it. I'm not sure what things are like where you're moving but, in America there are some community colleges you can go to without a high school diploma.

I would recommend taking on the full time job and saving up some money. When you have enough you can move to whatever country you choose/think would be best and take it from there. What you need to understand is that even though diplomas are very helpful, they will not stop you from accomplishing anything; only make it harder.

Try to keep a positive state of mind regardless of the troubles you are having/have had in the past with school and try to be open to new experiences. No matter what you choose, I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out.