Gaining my parents trust

• Gaining my parents trust

A few months ago i found out I was pregnant. My parents were very understanding and completely supportive of my decision to have an abortion. However, since then my parents haven't given me an ounce of trust. I understand they dont want me to get pregnant again but I want them to trust me. They don't let me go to my boyfriends house or even see them unless at least one of my parents is present. This has been going on for four months. How do I get them to trust me again or at least start taking steps towards gaining their trust back?

I've tried telling them that after this whole experience I understand the consequences of my actions and I'm taking every possible precaution not to get pregnant again but they just don't listen.
    • Re: Gaining my parents trust

So that means that you are on birth control now? Have you tried to sit down with them and talk with them about how you're feeling? I think both of you need to get your feelings out in the open, have you guys talked about what happened at all?

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

Like Linda says, talk to them about it, but for starters you need to accept the fact that THEIR decision is that you are not to see your boyfriend unless one of them is present, which honestly is pretty decent. After getting yourself pregnant and not handling sex responsibly, they honestly had every right to not even ALLOW you to see him at all. I'm not trying to sound like a mom here, but I think they've been pretty giving in that situation.

Honestly, accept their rules right now, and little by little they will probably let you off the leash they have you on. I did that with my parents. Just listened to them and then one day they're like "okay I think you've learned your lesson." :p

I think that it really just takes time. Just like you would be stupid to blindly trust someone after hurting you, your parents feel the same way. You hurt them. Having to take your teenager daughter to get an abortion is a really hard thing to do, and it's really a hard thing to go through as a parent.

Four months really is not a long time, although it can feel like forever for you. All you can really do is to take it day by day and follow their rules and show them that you are able to make mature and responsible decisions.

You could try talking to them and being open with them. Telling them what you're doing and not doing and opening the lines of communication like that is a really good way to help them trust you. If they feel like you aren't hiding anything then they have less to worry about.

At 16, and after having an abortion, you no doubt feel like you should be treated like an adult and have lots of responsibilities. But really, you're still a kid. You still mess up (which is fine) and you probably don't always make the wisest of choices. I think that it's totally reasonable to be at your bf's house only with a parent, and MANY kids have that rule (not even kids that got pregnant!). You could try having your boyfriend over to your house, that way your parents feel more comfortable and trust him as well. That could really help.

But like I said, it just takes time. You can't expect it to happen overnight or even within a few months. It can take years to really have a parent trust you again, expecially after making such a large mistake such as pregnancy.

No offense but I do not think ur parents are being unreasonable. You're their teenage daughter who had sex, got pregnant, and had to be taken in to get an abortion. Does that make you a horrible person? No, but it does mean you broke their trust and trust takes a looping time to gain back. I'm not surprised they don't want you to be alone with a boyfriend...being alone with a guy is what led to this in the first place. Just try to not take it personally...remember, in THEIR eyes, this is all about protecting their daughter, and making sure you have a good future....even if the rules do suck. Sorry but I don't think you can really do anything about it, you're just going to have to suck it up and get through it.Good luck.

Personally, the are being a tad unreasonable. But the bigger picture is now, they don't want you to get pregnant again, and I'm sure if you did get knocked up again, this time, the punishment would be keeping the baby from what you say about them. An abortion is a big deal, and getting pregnant for a second time would be too. Abortions can ruin your chance of getting pregnant if done in multiples, just like having a miscarriage can.

I've lost my parents trust twice but it was not sex related my advice is just to go with it. Fighting them will just make it worse. It may take a year or longer to get back to were u were befor. In my case it took just under a year. It might be hard depending on how self Desiplened you are but try to enjoy what you've got for the next year or so and then who knows maybe by then you won't care about not having the privacy or whatever it is your looking for. That's what I did and it worked well. My relationship with my parents is probably better then it was befor and I think I have become a better person to with all the extra time I had just for thought. Good luck I know my advice is pretty crazy but I hope things work out for the best :) ps if u wana know what happend to me just let me know