Babys parent incarcerated

• Babys parent incarcerated

I have a baby daughter that I've raised alone since the day she was born basically, her mom is in prison and since the Babys just a baby I don't have to deal with questions from her about why she doesnt have a mom...but someday I will have to deal with those questions. (assuming her mother serves her full sentence). What does a person say to a child about where their mother is? She is not allowed contact with us anyway even after she's released. I have to tell my daughter that her mother and I were never in love, it was an abuse situation and her mother is in jail because of it? That seems hurtful to my daughter...the day we have to talk about it is still quite a way away because right now she is just a baby. But I been thinking about it a lot because I don't want her to be upset or confused or hurt by it, and I don't know what to say when the time comes...

The post was edited 1 time, last by football ().

• Re: Babys parent incarcerated

I think that its best to tell her everything, the way it happened, when she'd old enough to understand. You would never want to give her a watered down situation of what happened, only for her to find out years later that you lied to her. Let her know that just because you didn't love her mother, doesn't mean you don't love her with all of your heart. I think she'll understand that you gave up a lot for her, and she'll know that you raised her right and cared for her the way a parent is supposed to.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling