Advice on how to confront my teacher??

• Advice on how to confront my teacher??

Well, here's the back story first (sorry it's pretty long!):

Ok, so in History, we took a vocab quiz a few weeks ago.. I KNEW all the info on it. I studied for it, and made a 100 on the review/practice test on quizlet(our teacher had made a review there). I KNEW the info. I knew those vocabulary words like the back of my hand. I finished the quiz in about 5 minutes, feeling completely confident about it. Today, I checked my grades on i-now, and my jaw dropped. Apparently, I made a 25/50 (50%) on it, but I KNOW I should have made a 100! There is no possible way for me to have failed that quiz!!! If I actually deserved the grade I got, I wouldn't be this frustrated, but I KNEW the vocab words!! Every single one of them!!!!! :o I've never made anything below a B in a history class in my life! I'm thinking I may have clicked in the wrong answers (We use 'clickers' to take quizzes.. not sure what the official name is) except I've NEVER done that before, and it was multiple choice, so it's not like I had spelling errors.. One thing that caught my attention was that my teacher mentioned to us that someone in her 5th period class had been caught messing with her computer, but her 5th period class grades were up, not 3rd (I'm in 3rd..) So I doubt that the student messed with my grade.. Do you think it's possible that she entered in the wrong grade??

I'm definitely going to confront her about it, but I really don't know what to say.. I've never been good at that kind of stuff, so I need some advice on how not to just stand up there and get so nervous that I start to freeze up.. I definitely think I shouldn't talk to her when she's in a bad mood, because she'll probably be more willing to listen and help me out when she's in a good one..
      Any advice on how to handle this, and how to confront my teacher about it? Also, do you think she'll let me re-take the quiz or something, if it's not just an entry mistake on her part? Because I really did know all of those words! :( I'm so frustrated, I know it seems kind of silly, but I've actually lost sleep over this.
    • Re: Advice on how to confront my teacher??

Not tryna be that kid, but if you didn't do well, its noone elses fault except your own, and rushing probably wasn't the best idea for any test taking situation.
      But I know where your coming from and I had the same situation a few weeks ago, I asked for a retake which I wasn't given but she justified how I got the grade and is letting me do corrections to gain back some points.

There's nothing wrong with asking her. Explain that you studied very hard, got 100 on the review, and that you're wondering if there could have been a mistake with your mark.

If it wasn't an entry error, you could ask about a retake or some other assignment to make up for it, but if she says no there's not too much you can do. It's just one quiz - usually quizzes aren't worth too much and it's unlikely that it will affect your grade too drastically. Happens to the best of us. :)

ryn.maharaj wrote:

Not tryna be that kid, but if you didn't do well, its noone elses fault except your own, and rushing probably wasn't the best idea for any test taking situation.
      But I know where your coming from and I had the same situation a few weeks ago, I asked for a retake which I wasn't given but she justified how I got the grade and is letting me do corrections to gain back some points.

Except it wasn't rushing... I said 25/50 because it was worth 50 points, not because there were 50 questions, just to clear that up.. I think there were about 15 or 20 at the most, and I actually wasn't anywhere near being the first one done, and I always finish quickly on vocab tests... That's what bothers me, nothing was out of the norm.. Except the fact that this time it was multiple choice, which should have actually made it even easier T.T
      I get what you're saying though, and I kinda doubt she'll let me retake it.. :/ I still want to confront her about it though, because I 'clicked' my answers in pretty carefully. I just have no idea what's going on, and that's the really frustrating part.. If I knew how it happened, at least I'd be a little more comfortable :( Thanks for the reply though!

The post was edited 2 times, last by LilMonstaCel ().

Go up to her after class or during her planning period and let her know what is going on. Along the lines of "Hi Ms.______ or Mr.______ I know you are busy but I was wondering if I could ask you something. Then tell them your issue on how you studied really hard and was surprised about the grade. Maybe ask her to see the questions you got wrong, so you can look over and make sure it wasn't you error. And you could ask her about any questions you got wrong. Also, you could ask to redo the test or do test corrections and gain back some points.
      Have any other concerns or just want to talk? Go ahead. Pm me.

This has probably been given already but just confront her after a class or at breaktime. If you KNEW you understood what was on the test, and believe you should've got a better grade, she'll appreciate you taking your learning into your own hands and speaking to her. Don't assume it's her fault automatically, just ask to see your test again, or perhaps see the mark scheme for the test, once you've explained you were feeling confident about it before.
      She should appreciate the step your taking to improving your own learning, and help you regardless of her mood.
      [RIGHT][SIZE=3]we each owe a death, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]there are no exceptions ,[/SIZE][SIZE=3]but sometimes, oh god, [/SIZE][/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT][SIZE=3]the green mile seems so long.[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]