i think im in love with my best friend...help

• i think im in love with my best friend...help

i am 16. and i have been friends with this boy for 16 years. we used to do everything together. play soccer, video games, nap time ( when we were like 4 lol ) and as we have gotten older i started developing feelings for him. i told him i liked him as more than a friend, and he said thanks and walked away, then a week later apologized for being stupid & said he did like me but didnt want to ruin our friendship. two years later (im a junior now) i broke up with my first boyfriend (not him) two weeks before my junior prom, and asked him to go with me. we went and danced the whole night, and had an amazing time. but now i like him again. am i stuck in friend zone? should i try to put these feelings behind me? i dont want to loose my best friend. with my ex i had nothing to loose with this kid i have EVERYTHING to loose... help!! :confused:
    • Re: i think im in love with my best friend...help

I agree that you don't want to lose a friend over this. But at the same time, I'm also a romantic and think you should go for it. So let's try and take this slowly and not rush things.

How about you try to talk to him about it? State your feelings and how you don't want to lose a friendship over it. See how he feels about the situation. You could "test the water" so to speak by having a mock date. No strings attached, just trying a day as a couple. If things don't work out, you back off and put the feelings behind you. If it DOES work out, you can take things from there.

Remember that the best relationships are based on a good friendship. I'm in a relationship with a girl who was my friend for 1-2 years before we started dating. It was an awkward start to the relationship and things went VERY slow, but we've been dating for over a year now and I couldn't be happier. Because I have a girlfriend who's also my best friend.
      Need help or just want to talk? PM me. :)
      -------------------------------------------------------
      "It's easy to be nice to people you like. But being nice to people you hate, that's a skill. Do it."

just a friend wrote:

i am 16. and i have been friends with this boy for 16 years. we used to do everything together. play soccer, video games, nap time ( when we were like 4 lol ) and as we have gotten older i started developing feelings for him. i told him i liked him as more than a friend, and he said thanks and walked away, then a week later apologized for being stupid & said he did like me but didnt want to ruin our friendship. two years later (im a junior now) i broke up with my first boyfriend (not him) two weeks before my junior prom, and asked him to go with me. we went and danced the whole night, and had an amazing time. but now i like him again. am i stuck in friend zone? should i try to put these feelings behind me? i dont want to loose my best friend. with my ex i had nothing to loose with this kid i have EVERYTHING to loose... help!! :confused:

They say the best relationships come with a great friendship. Honestly, I think when you said you had feelings for him it caught him off guard a little bit. He did admit that he liked you, so he obviously has feelings for you but he's probably got a thousand thoughts running through his head you know? Considering you two have been best friends your whole life he probably fears that if you two end up getting together that you two could end in a nasty break up which would cost your friendship.

Just relax, and stay as best friends for now. If it's meant to be it will be. Take time to just enjoy being young, you're sixteen you know? Don't worry about a relationship right now because you two have been best friends for sixteen years, and you probably got your whole lives together to figure out what you two want.

thanks for the advice... i guess ill just try to let things happen on their own. he is the guy i always go back to. the one i can always count on to be there for me. we've been through great times, horrible times, fights everything. and at the dance he said he would never let me down and would always be there for me. but i do agree with everything you guys have said. i DO NOT want to loose our friendship, so ill just try to let it happen on its own.. thankyou.

Turn a good friendship in a serious relationship does not work out!
      In my opinion it can ruin your relation and yes, you can lose a good friend afterwards.

Just think about it; You know you'll have him as a friend forever, but you're not sure if you would have him forever as a boyfriend. Make your choice.

nando.t wrote:

Turn a good friendship in a serious relationship does not work out!
      In my opinion it can ruin your relation and yes, you can lose a good friend afterwards.

Just think about it; You know you'll have him as a friend forever, but you're not sure if you would have him forever as a boyfriend. Make your choice.

I agree.
      Also, and I'm saying this from personal experience, it's very easy to mix up emotions you have for your best friend and emotions you think you have for him as a boyfriend. Especially if others are mocking you all the time and say how great couple you would be. It happened to me with my best friend, I also told him I like him, he backed out, we were not so close for next year or two and then we realized we are really best friends and started hanging out again. I realized I never loved him romantically/sexually - I just love him and am in love with him as a great friend and great person.

I'm 14 and there's a girl I'm TOTALY into her
      I've known her a looooooong time but were just friends
      she knOSS I like her but she just wants to be friends
      1) if u really want someone, don't give up
      2) make sure u really know their right for you
      3) if he's really your friend then he won't give up your friendship for that kinda thing
      Go for it

Alright so I am in like the exact situation. I have some people telling me to go for it, and others telling me to just let things happen naturally. We havent really been close friends for that long, but we are really close. We talk nearly everyday, and see eachother a minimum of two times a week, and we don't go to the same school. He is one year older. The problem is that he has a few even closer friends in other states, and although I know a bit obout them. I think he has been hurt by them, cause he won;t really tell me much, though recently has opened up heaps. Everyone tells like him or me " -insert other persons name - was totaly flirting with you. Though yes I am fairly sure that we are very much in the friend zone. I tld him that I liked him, and he was like...... 'i don;t like you in 'that' way'. What does that even mean????? Many of my friends think he is perfect for me, and well i think i do too. But do i really want to risk the one person that I can tell nearly anything and is always there for me. Plus he gives amazing hugs. <3 ughhhh. I wish people would stop telling me that we should go out.

Any advice???? if you can make any sence from my ramblings??

I fell in love with my best friend and got burned. On the bright side, we started crossing the friend line too early without clarity and neither of us was ready. Everyone says if we would have waited a month and if I would have told him how I actually felt, things would have been different.

So tell him. Or ask him how he feels about you. Do something. Don't end up like me. Because when I lost him, I lost my best friend. I lost the one person that could make me smile. Don't go through that.

At least if you tell him and you actually talk about it, you can then start to move on.

A friendship as great as this should develop naturally without either party forcing words into it. Push too much and you lose the friendship...Push too less and you lose the love you have for him. Love was never made so easy.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      How far do you want me to suppress myself so that you'll be satisfied?