Advice needed.

• Advice needed.

Hi there, this is my first post on here so unsure how it all works really and for that matter where to begin. I'm 19 years old. I don't have a job. Cant see for the life of me where my career or lack of it at the minute is going to end up especially in this type of economic climate. I also have a compulsive gambling problems which has lead to massive amounts of debt. I cant pay them off.. There also rising. I feel as though I should tell my parents but cannot bring myself to doing so. Not that they could help me financially. All of this has demotivated me to succeed in life. I just cannot seem to turn my way of thinking and outlook on life around. How do I do so? how can I solve my debt problems? How do I gain a career in something I enjoy which offers good prospects in the future? Where can I gain this advice? I have trouble sleeping as I don't have a regular pattern. the reason for this is, there's nothing to go to bed for. Nothing to wake up for. If anyone could analyse and conclude where I'm going wrong or what I can do to change all of this. It would be much appreciated.

Wood
    • Re: Advice needed.

First thing first! get a job :) Be a bagger :P Be a cashier just do something :) Make it happen. I know the economy is bad but I am sure you can find a low end job easily. If you can't pay off your debt then don;t think about college as of now. get a job try to stop gambling... gambling is like a drug you have to gradually lead yourself off of it. You might have to do it a little faster but just dont stop automatically.

After getting a job tell your parents you are really trying to get your life under control ask them for advice. Always pay on your credit cards some months you might have to pay the least amount but others you can pay a little more. Don't try to live on the high end if you can't... once you start getting your first checks make a monthly budget about how much you are going to save or buy stuff. Always put some of the money i na savings account for things that might happen.

I am willing to help. PM me if you have any questions or reply :) I am only 16 but... I am great with money and plan on being a financial analyst and a side job a volunteer debt helper(give free advice for people like you).

Wyatt is right. If you're unsure as to what you want to do with your life and you need more structure, the military is an excellent decision. They'll help whip you into shape, both mentally and physically, and you get paid for it. And if you find out you don't like the military life? After 4 years or so, your contract is up and they'll help you find a job elsewhere/pay for your college.

If you're really against the military, then you should take whatever job you CAN get. Whether it be a cashier/bagger, a sales rep, whatever. A job is a job, and it'll help you. And then you can use the money you get to pay off your debts and build up a college fund. And when you go to college, look into health care jobs. Or law enforcement. Those are two job types that will ALWAYS be in demand, because people need to be taken care of and laws need to be enforced.
      Need help or just want to talk? PM me. :)
      -------------------------------------------------------
      "It's easy to be nice to people you like. But being nice to people you hate, that's a skill. Do it."

Talk to your parents and inquire with financial advisers. A gambling addiction is a serious problem, and the fact that you have already racked up what you consider to be large debt needs to be handled immediately, by people qualified to advise you on how to do so.
      Reaching out for help is the first and most important step to getting your life on track, but a teen forum is not an effective place to do so. Speak to adults and those with professional experience to help guide you through this.
      All the best

Just re-read you question, you also want it analyzed why you feel unmotivated.. You're overwhelmed. Your actions have put you in a situation that is getting increasingly out of hand and you don't have the ability and/or knowledge to resolve it. Fix the problem and the stress will decrease significantly and then you'll have the mental energy and motivation to live your life. If you feel unsure of where to get the help you need, Speak to your Parents. They may be disappointed, they may be upset, they may trust you with your independence less, But you Need to do it and the longer you wait the more the problem will build.

The post was edited 1 time, last by .C. ().

Well you can start by not gambling anymore, or getting help for the addiction. As far as jobs and careers go, I'm nineteen as well and have on idea where I want my life to go right now either. At least go to a community college and get your GenEds out of the way so you have some education, and a part time job is possible if you at least try to look.