Planning on going into law, help?

• Planning on going into law, help?

Okay, so I'm seriously starting to consider going into law, and I'm in need of some clarification. For the record, I'm only in ninth grade, so I have lots of time to better marks, or do whatever I need to, in order to help me on my path. As of now, my average is about 89%-91% which I'd like to think is decent.
      So basically, what I need to know, is about the university portion of this.
      I'm planning on going to the U of M (University Of Manitoba) for the credits I'll need to be accepted into a law university.
      What are the specific classes I'll need to take?
      Does anyone have experience in this field of work, and know a great law school to attempt to go to?
      and finally,
      What do you think about your job? (If you have pursued this field of work, or are farther in the process of this than I)
      Thank you very much in advance.
    • Re: Planning on going into law, help?

The best thing to do would be to check out the university website for what you need to do to get in (or just contact the uni, because the websites can be confusing). Many law schools actually require 2 years of study before you even apply, and a lot of people even get degrees, so you may want to consider what types of things you'd be interested in studying or focusing on prior to your law application.

I'm fairly sure that as long as your high school marks can get into a general "arts & science" type program (and the ones that you have, will) you'll be set to go for law. Your school might even be able to tell you what kind of classes you will need to get in to most universities.

List of law schools in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      I know lots of people trying to get into law at the U of S, but that's probably because I live in Saskatchewan. :lol:
    • Re: Planning on going into law, help?

I know a few people who are training to be lawyers in the UK- my advice would be to work really hard, its really competitive here. Try to get as much experience as possible, e.g. working as a legal secretary before/whilst at college and that sort of thing.