Is cutting really ALWAYS a bad thing?

• Is cutting really ALWAYS a bad thing?

I mean, if you're not addicted to it, why should you stop? Yes I know...some people have problems and they cut themselves so deep that they need stitches and faint from blood loss...:o...but NOT EVERYONE.

But, think of it this way: If a person drinks a little bit of alcohol here and there, being a "responsible drinker"...do you call that person an alcoholic? No of course not. Just like some people can be "responsible cutters" like you never go far enough to actually HURT yourself. You know when to stop and it isnt a problem in your life! :cool:
      Hope is like a butterfly, it can be killed with one quick movement.
    • Re: Is cutting really ALWAYS a bad thing?

so agreed. repped just for bringing up the point :D. i mean sure its not a good thing to encourage people to cut, but if someone cuts that doesn't automatically make em a cutting monster always going too deep. but i guess its kinda like one day you'll slip n drink one glass to much, and similarly you'll slip n make one cut too deep, which IMO ends up being a turning point in one of the 2 ways, either the person gets really horrified n stops, or goes the other direction, straight down to rock bottom.

but definitely, cutting's been under a huge stigma soon after it was known publically. but as the topic is discussed, better understandings are achieved, and thats how people will eventually understand. thank you for bringing up the point :)
      Welcome to the world; welcome to the biggest Mindfuck of your life

This logic...I can't even...How could you possibly...the fuck...? :nono: :wtf:

Cutting yourself, whether you are addicted or not, is still harming yourself.
      Alcohol, when used responsibly, doesn't leave permanent scars that you end up regretting. And sure, now your not addicted to it. But if it's good enough that you still enjoy doing it for some reason, then one day it could very well escalate into more frequent cutting, which could end up having the same affect as one deep cut could.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MasterMayhem ().

theunknownwonder wrote:

so agreed. repped just for bringing up the point :D. i mean sure its not a good thing to encourage people to cut, but if someone cuts that doesn't automatically make em a cutting monster always going too deep. but i guess its kinda like one day you'll slip n drink one glass to much, and similarly you'll slip n make one cut too deep, which IMO ends up being a turning point in one of the 2 ways, either the person gets really horrified n stops, or goes the other direction, straight down to rock bottom.

but definitely, cutting's been under a huge stigma soon after it was known publically. but as the topic is discussed, better understandings are achieved, and thats how people will eventually understand. thank you for bringing up the point :)

If you're careful, you wont make "the slip" too soon. But thanks for getting my point :)

plax77 wrote:

Yes, it hurts the people around you. It causes angst in everyone that loves you and confuses most of them to no end, most of the time causing them to think that they're bad people.

I'm one of those people

I'm sorry that happened to you. :hugs:

But that doenst mean all cutters hurt the ones who love them. If you don't tell the people around you, you can save them the trouble of having all that stress.

~Fallen~*Angel* wrote:

This logic...I can't even...How could you possibly...the fuck...? :nono: :wtf:

Cutting yourself, whether you are addicted or not, is still harming yourself.
      Alcohol, when used responsibly, doesn't leave permanent scars that you end up regretting. And sure, now your not addicted to it. But if it's good enough that you still enjoy doing it for some reason, then one day it could very well escalate into more frequent cutting, which could end up having the same affect as one deep cut could.

How is it harming yourself if the cuts aren't even deep enough to last more than a week. The scars are temporary, shallow things. I don't feel addicted...honestly, I don't even "enjoy" it that much. It's just something I do every now and then. I doubt it's going to escalate into more frequent cutting. In the past 5 months since i started, i've been doing it less and less.

plax77 wrote:

Yes, it hurts the people around you. It causes angst in everyone that loves you and confuses most of them to no end, most of the time causing them to think that they're bad people.

I'm one of those people

The post was edited 1 time, last by icy ().

icy wrote:

I mean, if you're not addicted to it, why should you stop? Yes I know...some people have problems and they cut themselves so deep that they need stitches and faint from blood loss...:o...but NOT EVERYONE.

But, think of it this way: If a person drinks a little bit of alcohol here and there, being a "responsible drinker"...do you call that person an alcoholic? No of course not. Just like some people can be "responsible cutters" like you never go far enough to actually HURT yourself. You know when to stop and it isnt a problem in your life! :cool:

What is the purpose of cutting?

From alcohol I guess I get it, it tastes good and helps people to socialize.

Now cutting? That's as useful as throwing money out the window.

im sorry but cutting is the stupidest way to cope with strees i've ever seen. i understand drugs and alcohol, but not this.
      it's really sad and should not even be on people's head. it's self-harm w/o any benefits. and what's worse, is that it does spread like the newest fashion and some do it for the attention. just stop please, have respect for yourself, it's immature and weird and pointless. you are better than that, maybe cute and the cuts will make you look ugly..
      dot

Agreed. Drugs and alcohol alter the brain, not really ever dealing with the problem, but it still helps somehow. Cutting is just like...wtf. Why don't you go cut your toenails instead? I think they have equal stress relief capabilities.

Humans are weird. Other animals don't self harm just for the hell of it.

~Fallen~*Angel* wrote:

It's still classified as self-harm. :nono:
      I just don't think it's really appropriate to be promoting such things when so many people are trying to get out of the habit.

I'm not promoting it. I just saying, its not necessarily a bad thing unless it causes health risks.

plax77 wrote:

Lying about it hurts just as much. It doesn't take much to find out for an insightful person.

True, true.

Louis wrote:

And if I was angry/sad enough, I would do that too.

Asturias wrote:

im sorry but cutting is the stupidest way to cope with strees i've ever seen. i understand drugs and alcohol, but not this.
      it's really sad and should not even be on people's head. it's self-harm w/o any benefits. and what's worse, is that it does spread like the newest fashion and some do it for the attention. just stop please, have respect for yourself, it's immature and weird and pointless. you are better than that, maybe cute and the cuts will make you look ugly..

It has benefits for me. You might not understand why, but it's a great stress reliever. I don't have access to drugs and alcohol. What am i supposed to do? Sit on my ass and cry all day? I already did too much of that in the first 14 years of my life. And do you think I care about my looks? I dont even like boys...:(

Baal wrote:

Agreed. Drugs and alcohol alter the brain, not really ever dealing with the problem, but it still helps somehow. Cutting is just like...wtf. Why don't you go cut your toenails instead? I think they have equal stress relief capabilities.

Cutting "still helps somehow" too. It helps you take out your anger on someone. And why not yourself? Better than harming others, isn't it?

Agreed. Humans are weird :/

There are always other ways of coping. And considering how even the tiniest slip up can be insanely dangerous, yeah, it's not necessarily an "okay" thing, no matter how safe you think you're being.
      I've been where you are. I've self-harmed before. There are other ways, better ways, that doesn't involve cutting yourself.

~Fallen~*Angel* wrote:

There are always other ways of coping. And considering how even the tiniest slip up can be insanely dangerous, yeah, it's not necessarily an "okay" thing, no matter how safe you think you're being.
      I've been where you are. I've self-harmed before. There are other ways, better ways, that doesn't involve cutting yourself.

I dont know what to say anymore. Anything can be insanely dangerous if you do it wrong i guess. And I've tried alternatives...its not the same. or as convenient. But dont worry about me. I CAN'T go deep. :p

icy wrote:

I CAN'T go deep. :p

icy wrote:

I'm slightly hemophobic.

I know what hemophobic means. The second quote is her response to my question asking what she seems to think she CAN'T possibly cute deep.
      I repeat, a fear of something does not make you impervious to it. It can still happen whether she fears it or not.

plax77 wrote:

Lying about it hurts just as much. It doesn't take much to find out for an insightful person.

emphasis on insightful person, and TBH, i have yet to see one single person who actually is insightful, or insightful enough to figure this stuff out. and trust me, i've seen a LOT of people.

Louis wrote:

really? taste good? you've even tried it? i've drank spoonfuls of brandy for medical purposes at young age (warm water ginger syrup and 1 tsp brandy and a pinch of salt is great to ease bad coughs) and honestly, it tastes worse than piss... and you tell me whats more "throwing your money out the window"; responsible cutting, a few jonson's bandages and an occasional big, cloth bandage vs a bottle of beer a week or 2. and btw, a lot of people drink to elevate from their usual stressful lives, SI can do the same.

Asturias wrote:

please read that over... so apprently, cutting yourself lightly (again, responsible SI) is worse than intoxicating yourselves... so you spend so much money to buy smthing illegal and then when you do it you're basically going around being a retard... you can't do anything that requires co-ordination or self control... yes... drugs are better than SI... *sarcasm implied*

Baal wrote:

if you were to (seriously) try it a few times, you'd kinda see what SIers argue, and you say cutting your nails is equivalent to SIing? then i guess drinking water or juice should be equivalent to drinking alcohol? humans are weird... other animals don't intoxicate themselves either...

~Fallen~*Angel* wrote:

agreed, but really, everyone's got their own preference, and some people find one thing better over the other. nothing's really ever safe if you really think about it. some like to go with illegal drugs n alcohol, other with self therapy (SI etc) while take the "recommended" path and take prescription meds. if you think about it, all these can really screw you over

EDIT: srry for such a huge post, im not very active on day to day bases so i sorta respond to all the things at once :D and also, if you're scared of blood, that fear of seeing blood kinda keeps you from trippin n' accidentally cutting too deep, but it can still happen nonetheless (although the chances would IMO go down a little). also keep an eye on your hemophobia, abusing it might actually kinda cure it (that kinda thing does tend to happen) so it can be both a good and a bad thing.
      Welcome to the world; welcome to the biggest Mindfuck of your life

The post was edited 1 time, last by theunknownwonder ().

For me, cutting was never a serious problem... I do it very rarely, and to be honest.... I only ever do it now to freak my friends out as i'm known as the pain person in my group.

Even when I was actually despressed and actually wondering what the point of still living was, I still knew when to stop.

I guess it's different for everyone. Obviously for me, not a problem at all. But everyone is different.

Same for drinking and drugs I guess. Some do them for fun and experience and never get hooked, whereas some will get hooked...
      The World is heading for mutiny, when all we want is unity.
      We may rise and fall, but in the end, we'll meet our fate together!
      One. Oh One. The only way is[SIZE=4] ONE.[/SIZE]