Lady Gaga

• Re: Lady Gaga

Bazinga! wrote:

Oh and as for the actual Lady Gaga question. I don't personally see her as a gay icon. I see her as a talented musician who supports gay rights.

I'm not a major fan of her music and definitely prefer her music when it's simple, Cut down. I love it when she sits in fron of a piano and just sings her heart out without all the audio effects and electro-pop synths. Say what you will, she's got a good voice and has the ability to write some good lyrics. She's also an accomplished entertainer.

I think the reason a lot of gay people identify with her is very similar to why Cher identified so well with the gay community. They embody a sense of unapologetic freedom and fearlessness that most of us can only dream of achieving. They're out there living out every single one of their childhood fantasies. People see this and can only admire them for doing so.

Okay, this, I can certainly agree with.
      I will admit, when she's putting meaning and soul into her music, she is quite the artist. It's her songs that get more recognition, the ones that are so loaded with audio effects and such that I can hardly tell it's her proper voice, that I loathe. And sadly, those are the ones many of her fans know her for. Not for the true musical abilities she possesses, and sadly, does not display as often as she should.

Tombgeek wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I mean in a respectable manner is just dressing how you want, just not...you know, practically naked. I was more referring to clothing, not personality.
      People can dress how they want. I was referring to the people at gay prides who tend to walk around practically naked.

This is respectable

This, well...not so much.

Of course, this doesn't only refer to effeminate gay guys. The bear subculture, as well as the leather and various others, has also been guilty of this, which is ironic because the whole point of the culture is not to identify with the stereotype.

ahaha yeh I see where you're coming from, I think that picture above is certainly going too far.

But I don't have anything against this type of thing you often see at the Sydney Mardi Gras-

These people are comfortable in what they're doing, they're happy, and events like this give them a chance to be able to do so at a much larger and grander scale. The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras attracts tens of thousands of foreigners especially from countries where they do not have the right to express themselves like this or show their support for people who express themselves. (see recent attempts in Moscow- Dozens detained in failed Russian gay pride march - AlertNet)

Tens of thousands of the spectators at the anual march are in fact straight. They come along because it's an incredible event, they get to see the Gay community expressing themselves how they want, whether it be dressing up (or down ;)) dressing normally and marching or even just to see the hundreds of straight parade participants publicly showing their support for the gay community.

Tombgeek wrote:

I know. I never said they all did. Some do, however. It is those people who irritate me and the problem is that they are the most vocal in the community. Effeminate people as a whole don't irritate me. If anything, I find them friendly and great friends. It's the stereotypical queens that irritate me, particularly the insulting and rude ones (and I've met one or two). People can act as they want.

I agree with you there. :)

ahaha yes I know what you're saying here. The stereotypical queens can get very irritating. Although they can give a great laugh. Priscilla Queen of the Desert is full of thee laughs. Including what I consider one of the greatest moments in Australian Film :lol:
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yLiGbJLWi8]YouTube - ‪Priscilla Queen Of The Desert - Bar Scene‬‏[/ame]

MasterMayhem wrote:

Okay, this, I can certainly agree with.
      I will admit, when she's putting meaning and soul into her music, she is quite the artist. It's her songs that get more recognition, the ones that are so loaded with audio effects and such that I can hardly tell it's her proper voice, that I loathe. And sadly, those are the ones many of her fans know her for. Not for the true musical abilities she possesses, and sadly, does not display as often as she should.

Yeh that's for sure. This is my favorite Lady Gaga recording. You can easily see she's putting all of herself into every moment and absolutely living in the moment having an absolute blast performing. Just her and her piano. It's so refreshing after all of the over produced stuff she releases.
      [ame='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HvURBhMGE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HvURBhMGE[/ame]
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

The post was edited 2 times, last by Albus Dumbledore ().

tombgeek wrote:

..but he's a bit...eww...

Queen alert!! Queen Alert!!!!!

:rob:
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

cazoofoo wrote:

I think most gays are a little afraid to be camp.

Or maybe they just aren't. Not all gays, or most gays, are the same. My school has quite the number of openly gay males and females, and if it wasn't for the fact that they date the same gender and have stated it publicly, you'd hardly be able to tell, because many of them don't fit into the "gay stereotype."

MasterMayhem wrote:

Or maybe they just aren't. Not all gays, or most gays, are the same. My school has quite the number of openly gay males and females, and if it wasn't for the fact that they date the same gender and have stated it publicly, you'd hardly be able to tell, because many of them don't fit into the "gay stereotype."

Yeah, I mean, check the Dwarvan Sniper on the previous page (Bazinga's pic, not mine).

MasterMayhem wrote:

I didn't group anyone together. I just think some of the people I know, are afraid to express themselves because they're afraid to be judged. My friend Ashley is like super-gay, he shits glitter and rainbows, but when he's not hanging out with me or the rest of the gang, he's silent, shy, and tries to be masculine. I'm not saying every single LGBT person in existence is a closet case. Don't twist my words.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

before I lay it down sharply for Gaga,let me put this out there:I don't hate her message. i love that she has the taken the issue of gay invisibility and made a big deal,sparkly,meat-wearing deal out of it.
      her refusal to be silent is refreshing and yes, i have danced to his music since 2007.
      its catchy and the lyrics are easy to remember-and while it works,that's not always a good thing. good music has staying power,and i'm not sure this stuff does