Mom's Alcoholism?? :/..:(

• Mom's Alcoholism?? :/..:(

I was just wondering what the very very earliest stages of alcoholism is?
      Because I've noticed my mom drinking a good bit more than usual lately, like, she doesn't get up every morning and pour a drink, but she does drink quite a bit every night, like maybe it is just to unwind but she drinks enough so until she is happy and merry like she gets when drinking, i've also noticed lots of empty vodka bottles in the press, like i know she drinks vodka but there is like 7 empty bottles there now and i think that press was last cleaned out a month ago. Maybe i am reading too much into things but it has raised my concern which i figure isn't good, i am worried about her :(. we are all having a tough time lately as a family and maybe she is drinking to help forget that for a while. I just do not know. Can someone please help me figure this out because i am actually stressed out with worry :(:(
    • Re: Mom's Alcoholism?? :/..:(

Alcohol makes people feel more 'calm', and/or 'happy' for most, but a alcohol addiction goes a long way. If your noticing that she is more.. 'buzzed', or 'drunk' often, then that's the key. I mean, having a couple drinks for two days straight, but the third should tick a concern.

If your concerned, then you need to talk to her. If she continues, if she does have a alcohol addition anyway, then you really need to sit her down and talk. Set a side your problems because becoming a 'drunk' would make things worse, emotional-wise, and even anger-wise. Make sure she listens, explain to her that drinking wont make things go away, even though it may seem like it - when someone is sober (again after drinking) they can still feel as they did before they got drunk, and think the same; therefore they will drink again, and again to keep the thoughts away. So let her know that you are concerned and all.

If she doesn't listen, talk to a couple family members and let them help attempt to make your mother listen, and take care of the problem. If all goes good, then congratulations - but if it doesn't, you might want to use more force (such as emotions) or possibly call a intervention center, or possibly something around there, but only call third party help when it's absolutely needed, as it could make things worse.

Good luck. xox.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Alcohol makes people feel more 'calm', and/or 'happy' for most, but a alcohol addiction goes a long way. If your noticing that she is more.. 'buzzed', or 'drunk' often, then that's the key. I mean, having a couple drinks for two days straight, but the third should tick a concern.

If your concerned, then you need to talk to her. If she continues, if she does have a alcohol addition anyway, then you really need to sit her down and talk. Set a side your problems because becoming a 'drunk' would make things worse, emotional-wise, and even anger-wise. Make sure she listens, explain to her that drinking wont make things go away, even though it may seem like it - when someone is sober (again after drinking) they can still feel as they did before they got drunk, and think the same; therefore they will drink again, and again to keep the thoughts away. So let her know that you are concerned and all.

If she doesn't listen, talk to a couple family members and let them help attempt to make your mother listen, and take care of the problem. If all goes good, then congratulations - but if it doesn't, you might want to use more force (such as emotions) or possibly call a intervention center, or possibly something around there, but only call third party help when it's absolutely needed, as it could make things worse.

Good luck. xox.
      [COLOR="Teal"]Counselor at LGBT Committee Program of Ontario
      Counselor at Ontario & Manitoba Int. Counselling Service
      [/COLOR]