Choosing a career path?

• Choosing a career path?

So I know that a lot of people switch college majors a few times, but I really want to go into something that I can concentrate on and stay with because I want to go into a career thats going to put me through a lot of schooling and make decent money. I've narrowed down the things that I THINK I want to do most but, I was wondering if anyone has any experience in school for these things or knows what I need to look for in myself to choose. I have a really hard time making important decisions like this on my own so I figured I could come here and hopefully get another persons HELPFUL and not rude opinion.

Current careers that I'm considering:

Chemist
      ~ or possible sub-field
      Psychiatrist
      Veterinarian
      Physicist
      ~ or possible sub-field
      Astronomer
      Accountant
      Mathematician
      Psychologist
      Biologist
      ~ or possible sub-field

I got this list by taking random online quizzes and considering what I THINK I like, but because of my OCD and ADHD, I'm really not sure what would actually be right for me. Any ideas or comments?
    • Re: Choosing a career path?

Chemist - They are always in demand, but you have to watch where you get your job. It will be harder to find a job, but you will earn money.

Psychiatrist - Good money and a rather demand job. However, to work in this you will have stress due to the stress of your clients.

Veterinarian - A nice dream job. You can get a job as long as you live near a place where you can work like an animal hospital. If you like animals, be sure to know you will have to put them down often.

Physicist - Very challenging, hard to get into unless you plan on working for a team and/or government. Decent pay, but don't expect to fully be rich in a giant house or something. My friend is in college for Physics and he loves it.

Astronomer - Not really in demand because the lack of jobs it provides unless again, you plan to work for the government, but even that is hard.

Accountant - Almost all companies and businesses need this. Its a good demand job as long like people telling you what to do. But who can complain, the money is decent depending on how long you been in school and what job you get.

Mathematician - Dead job unless you want to be a college professor or teacher. Trust me.

Psychologist - Very high demand right now. Need to jump on this fast though because ALOT of people are in college for this and there may not be a need for it in the next decade or so. There are many branches of psychology you can get into there are so many jobs. I advise you to stay in college to get your masters or doctrine in this so you can get jobs easier than most people who just stay in college to get their bachelors.

Biologist - Very popular and I'm not too sure about the job demand. Sounds very interesting, diverse, flexible, and fun.

i would recomend getting your liscense and working under someone, you wont necasarily have a good job right out so be patient, to get your dream job you need a very good school, lots of expierence or suck lots of dick. otherwise i think that sub field thing is a good idea for you

To be completely honest, it doesn't really matter what you get your degree in. My boyfriend has a bachelor's degree in Chemistry and he works as a Computer Programmer. Just get a degree in something that you enjoy learning about, your career path will come next. As you go through school and meet new people different job and career opportunities will present themselves, so you don't have to stress so much about your major equaling your life-long career.

JennyColada wrote:

To be completely honest, it doesn't really matter what you get your degree in. My boyfriend has a bachelor's degree in Chemistry and he works as a Computer Programmer. Just get a degree in something that you enjoy learning about, your career path will come next. As you go through school and meet new people different job and career opportunities will present themselves, so you don't have to stress so much about your major equaling your life-long career.

As for the most part I agree, I don't always need a major to get a career going, however, if you have a dream and you want to work in a specific career, some fields require you to have a major in that field. Computer Programming doesn't always need a major in that field. Usually certified people or can prove their skills get in.

Where do you plan on going to school? Take a look at places and programs, maybe talk to people in the programs that you're interested in or who have careers that you like.

Usually in your first (and sometimes even second) year of post-secondary you take a lot of very general classes. Specialization comes later. You don't have to declare a major right way - just take a year and see what you like. :) If you took basic classes about everything you listed, many will count towards whatever major you choose and others can simply be used as electives.

ozmc003 wrote:

Most of the careers you listed lean heavily on the sciences and they all share the same core science courses (biology, chemistry, physics, etc....). Why not take all the core classes and see which one interests you the most?

this is a good idea.
      depending on what type of college your going to, you could take those required classes and then figure it out. Like in my community college, they have liberal arts where you just take simple classes until you figure out what major you want.

A bit late in replying, but I think career paths will change. My sister wanted to work in product design since she was 15. She went to uni and did a relevant course, graduated with amazing grades and got a job before she graduated. She got her dream job, worked for a few years then developed a passion in something else. So now she wants a career change! She seems happy with the move so what I'm saying is don't worry too much what you initially go for...

It's not life or death.

When choosing a career, you should know first if that could help you get a job in the future..
      I know you love science but you should also consider that after graduating, you should check out if you could get a job right away or earn money... Thats just how I choose my course..
      Signature removed by staff. You must have 50 posts in order to provide a link in your signature.