Why would my mother lie to me about this?

• Why would my mother lie to me about this?

My mother. Ever since I was a little kid, she constantly told me I was "perfect". I wasn't too fat, too skinny, or too ugly.

Then I look in the mirror one day, and, fuck.

a1 DOT sphotos.ak.fbcdn DOT net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183731_642334281805_201408928_35925108_5829830_n.jpg

I'm the one in the middle.

Why would she lie to me? Even when I tell her that I'm somewhat fat and need to work out, she just yells at me and says I'm "skinny".
    • Re: Why would my mother lie to me about this?

She's not lying! I'm sure she believes what she's saying 100% - she loves you and wants what she thinks is best.

If you are worried about your weight, just try to adopt some healthier habits. I don't see why she'd complain about you wanting to work out or eat better, but when you bring up that you're "fat", she might worried that you'll try to change in too drastic a way. There's a big difference between "Mom, I want to be healthier" and "Mom, I want to be skinnier" ! :)

QWERTY531 wrote:

She lived in the Philippines as a kid, and they had very little food and nearly starved every day just trying to scrape by. Ergo, she moves to America and tries to turn my dad into a circle.

Then she obviously had motive for what she's doing -- it seems like she just wants you guys to be happy and healthy and is simply taking it a bit too far. If you want to be skinny, it may send the message that you don't appreciate her or her cooking or that you take food for granted (and nearly all of us do).

Maybe present her with research that shows the correlation between overeating, weight gain, and associated health problems/chronic disease. (That's not to say you're at risk for it now, it's just a rationale for eating the amount of food you want to eat.) Even if you want to maintain a healthy weight, you still need to eat, so make sure she sees you do it. If she tries to make you more, just say "No thanks, I'm full, but it was really good" - include a compliment or something to show you appreciate it.

I'm sure there's a lot you can do to resolve or at least lighten the tension in the situation, you just have to be creative and mature about it.

QWERTY531 wrote:

She lived in the Philippines as a kid, and they had very little food and nearly starved every day just trying to scrape by. Ergo, she moves to America and tries to turn my dad into a circle.

I know what you mean but you just have to learn to say no. My family is just like yours. Cooking for other people is a way to show your love but obviously there's a limit. You just have to learn to say no. It's not rejecting her love. You're the one that eat, not her.
      ALWAYS be thankful of having food on your table and that you're not starving because you'll know who your mother feels.

Let her know that you appreciate her love and when you're full/satisfied.
      [5:24 AM] lazyday: i love girls but when they're fresh e.g. 7 yo

QWERTY531 wrote:

My mother. Ever since I was a little kid, she constantly told me I was "perfect". I wasn't too fat, too skinny, or too ugly.

Then I look in the mirror one day, and, fuck.

a1 DOT sphotos.ak.fbcdn DOT net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183731_642334281805_201408928_35925108_5829830_n.jpg

I'm the one in the middle.

Why would she lie to me? Even when I tell her that I'm somewhat fat and need to work out, she just yells at me and says I'm "skinny".

WE GOT OURSELVES A SITUATION

hit the treadmill fat boy. start pounding the pavement and pump some iron, srsly. if ur mama feeds u THATS FUCKING GOOD WHATS WRONG WITH U IDIOTFAG. the more ur fed = the more muscle u can build. muscle = strength and power. be like a lion, my son