Why do we get fat?

• Re: Why do we get fat?

Torn wrote:

So inactivity has risen because... We eat and don't move. So this explains people who are generally inactive, but I don't think we can go from an average BMI to a BMI >30 within 20 years because we suddenly have computer nerds reproducing like horny rabbits.

I think it has to do more with some aspect of diet than pattern of exercise (in most cases)/"genetics" (isn't it funny how the more agrarian we got the more genetics had to do with everything?)

I guess... :lol: Haha I don't even know if I'm looking at this the right way, but it seems like that study would interpret that as "inactivity has risen because we have gotten fatter" whereas I would say "inactivity has risen because of our environment - we now live in a world where we don't have to move very much."
      In that study they try to apply the results to explain why PA promotion is failing, but I don't think that's the reason (or the sole reason).

I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. :P -- whatever the reason for inactivity I guess it doesn't really much matter in this topic because I'm not disagreeing with you overall. I think diet has a much bigger impact (especially in extremes like obesity). I'm not trying to say that inactivity is why why are fat, just that becoming more sedentary could at least be considered a [small] contributing factor.

If we became more inactive but our diets stayed the same and we gained weight, would we say we're overeating or we're not exercising enough? Maybe it depends on whom you asked the question to!