i'm planning to go back to school.. any thoughts?? help :(

• Re: i'm planning to go back to school.. any thoughts?? help :(

Congrats on deciding to go back to school!

I will be a little biased in my post but I recommend you check out Boise State University. I graduated from there and am lucky enough to be working with them now. I feel that Boise and Boise State offer a little bit of everything to everyone. There's plenty of outdoorsy things to do such as ski/snowboard, hike, mountain bike. There's also a good nightlife scene with three downtown theaters, various restaurants and shopping, coffee shops, etc. Also, it's large enough to not feel like you're stuck in a "college bubble."

Also, the education is great too. Boise State was recently featured a few times in the media for its educational accomplishments, such as the Boise State professor that was involved with the Casey Anthony case and a student engineering club that broke a world record for the fastest vegetable oil powered car. Boise State has this program called Beyond the Blue that highlights its educational aspect that you should consider checking out. Their website is beyondtheblue.boisestate.edu

I hope this can help you pick out a school for you. I've been to big cities like Los Angeles and New York City, and to towns that are super small but Boise feels like a happy medium that gives me the best of both worlds.
    • Re: i'm planning to go back to school.. any thoughts?? help :(

You need to research yourself as much as you will research potential schools.

What is your financial situation? Could you afford to pay full tuition anywhere, how much assistance do you think you'd need?

What do you want to major in? If you don't have an intended major, do you have an intended area, i.e. science or history?

What are planning on for a career?

Could this career comfortably pay off loans you take in college?

Public or private?

Small (<5000), medium (5,000-15,000), or large (15,000+)?

Do you want a good chance at a merit scholarship? A full ride scholarship?

Do you want to feel, in terms of academic or intellectual talent, that you're in the middle of the pack or at the top of the heap?

What sort of climate do you want to live in for a few years?

Do you want to live in a city, town, or in a more rural area?

And so on.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell