Need Advice for Alcohol at Parties

• Need Advice for Alcohol at Parties

Hi, I am a frosh and I abstain from alcohol for personal reasons. The problem is, all of the parties and social events I go to involve either drinking alcohol, or chugging alcohol as part of a drinking game. I feel completely awkward in these situations, as I'm not sure how to deal with this problem.

I don't want to drink just to fit in, but it's harder to socialize with people at parties. What's worse is that I don't feel safe when I'm around people that are drinking. So, my question is: what can I do to become more social and engaging at parties without drinking alcohol? Really big thanks to any advice out there!
    • Re: Need Advice for Alcohol at Parties

Hold a glass of coke, people will assume you have something in there, and you avoid the issue, unless people know you don't drink. In that case they'll either be decent, or will be pricks about it. If they're being pricks and you have a choice, don't hang around them.
      [CENTER][COLOR="Green"]If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
      [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Have a glass that is coloured so people don't know what u are exactly drinking or take a Bottle of alcohol empty it and fill it with water and use it the whole night, so that people will think that you've been drinking the same kind of bottle the whole night! And more, act, Sometimes scream, sometime act like a drunk and say I'm DRUNK and laugh like a crazy person. It is the only solution, because we know the people, next time they won't invite you, they won't be going out with you! Don't say no Ill take one later or I don't drink, if you honestly care about ur social life than ACT, because trust me a lot of people do!

BountyGirl wrote:

Have a glass that is coloured so people don't know what u are exactly drinking or take a Bottle of alcohol empty it and fill it with water and use it the whole night, so that people will think that you've been drinking the same kind of bottle the whole night! And more, act, Sometimes scream, sometime act like a drunk and say I'm DRUNK and laugh like a crazy person. It is the only solution, because we know the people, next time they won't invite you, they won't be going out with you! Don't say no Ill take one later or I don't drink, if you honestly care about ur social life than ACT, because trust me a lot of people do!

This. Although acting drunk isn't a good idea, since you can't really copy that.

bloodmage3 wrote:

Hi, I am a frosh and I abstain from alcohol for personal reasons. The problem is, all of the parties and social events I go to involve either drinking alcohol, or chugging alcohol as part of a drinking game. I feel completely awkward in these situations, as I'm not sure how to deal with this problem.

I don't want to drink just to fit in, but it's harder to socialize with people at parties. What's worse is that I don't feel safe when I'm around people that are drinking. So, my question is: what can I do to become more social and engaging at parties without drinking alcohol? Really big thanks to any advice out there!

If everyone else has been drinking, they will be really sociable, so if you just start talking to them, they'll most likely be willing to talk back.

I don't think you have to pretend to drink like most people have suggested - I go to parties all the time without drinking, and usually I drive so I have an obligation not to. Or I joke around with people and tell people I'm pretty much the coolest cat around, and that I'm going to have more fun than their drunk asses. :cool: As long as everyone (including you) is having fun, it won't be noticeable that you aren't drinking and people won't care that much.

Citky wrote:

This. Although acting drunk isn't a good idea, since you can't really copy that.

When you're around drunk people it's actually a lot easier to act drunk - it's like parties themselves are intoxicating. :lol:

I struggled with this when I gave up alcohol just to see (not morally against it or anything, just tired of being tired). It's weird at first, and you feel stifled and just out of rhythm with everyone else. I go out like 10 times a month and it took a good 2 months or whatever till it was completely normal about it in that I didn't THINK about it when out. Really it's just about realizing that drinking doesn't make you any funnier or more social. You make yourself that. So just do it.
      [COLOR="black"]When I'm not fighting mountain lions for sport, I read about broken homes, teenage depression, and other such life-improving awesomeness cause I'm weird like that[/COLOR]

I was never a big drinker in college (actually I'm STILL not a big drinker), and I did find it a bit hard to socalize. Alcohol isn't just the norm, it's the expectation. I have gone to so many events where there isn't a single non-alcoholic drink to be found (not even water!), and it is very frustrating.

Over the years I've just stopped going to parties that involve people that I don't know well. If my close friends are having a party I can generally count on them to have soda or juice (for mixers at least). I also tend to feel uncomfortable with forced social interactions with strangers, so that's another reason why I tend to only go to parties that involve my friends.

Beary Jam wrote:

Don't hang out with drunk people because they're really annoying if you're not drunk as well.

Depends on what kind of people you hang out. I drink but I don't bother people who don't. It's their choice and they're free to do what you want. And I know people who don't make fun of people who don't drink.
      [5:24 AM] lazyday: i love girls but when they're fresh e.g. 7 yo