Help fix my internet!

• Help fix my internet!

Please? ^^

So lately my internet seems to be on the fritz - it wasn't working at all last week (the guy on the phone said something was wrong with the modem and that they were sending someone to fix it). My roommate's boyfriend said he would fix it instead and we cancelled the internet company guy.

So now it works, but only sometimes. The internet connection is there and I can use MSN/Skype just fine, but can't always browse the internet (no matter what browser I use - I even downloaded Google Chrome! :o ).

When a page won't load it says something about the DNS server, and my other roommate gets the same thing. Sometimes nothing will load, sometimes only certain pages will load (maybe only ones I visit often), and sometimes the internet works fine, and sometimes it's really, really slow.

I will Google about this problem later but I thought I'd post this real quick to see if anyone here had any ideas.

Thanks!
    • Re: Help fix my internet!

If that technician was free then I wouldn't have cancelled him because if your ISP is nice enough they would have replaced it for free; my old ISP did that for me anyway. But when DNS is involved it's an issue between you and your ISP, which could most likely mean faulty modem/router if default settings don't work with which ever settings are required to connect to your ISP.

Okay, yeah. We were thinking of calling SaskTel again and getting them to send someone -- the boyfriend had just said not to worry about it because 'he knows about these things'. Silly. :rolleyes:

My other roommates dad also works for the internet company so we have an "in" - it's just a matter of finding a time to get it fixed. Thanks for your help. ^^

I had a similar issue not long ago, my router was assigning the two computers in the network the same IP address, I didn't fix it, I just had another router that was exactly the sam and started using that one :rolleyes: but there is a way to fix it.

When you can go online go on your computer to whatismyip.org/ and tell your friend to do it too, if it's the same IP then that's the problem, if not, I have no idea :lol:

Dexter. wrote:

I had a similar issue not long ago, my router was assigning the two computers in the network the same IP address, I didn't fix it, I just had another router that was exactly the sam and started using that one :rolleyes: but there is a way to fix it.

When you can go online go on your computer to whatismyip.org/ and tell your friend to do it too, if it's the same IP then that's the problem, if not, I have no idea :lol:

Usually you don't have 2 or more public IPs at home. So, as long as they're on the same network, they'll have the same public IP.

Maybe you can try changing your DNS. Try Google DNS Servers for free (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Or you can try opendns.com
      [5:24 AM] lazyday: i love girls but when they're fresh e.g. 7 yo

So, bumping an old topic!

The internet ended up working again, so we never had any tech guys come in because they always think that if something is working when they're there (even if it only works on and off), it's not broken. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've figured out the problem only happens when someone is trying to torrent/download something, like a movie - hence why it happens on and off and only when her boyfriend is around; he's the only one that does that type of stuff. It's like it sucks all the internet's power away from everyone else. Is there any way to fix this? I feel silly telling them not to download movies, but I'd also feel silly calling the internet company to tell them they should fix that sort of issue. :lol:

It's happening again so hopefully I can post this. Images aren't loading so I don't know if I've posted it before but for reference, here's the error:

This webpage is not available

The server at teenhut.net can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

Here are some suggestions:
      • Reload this webpage later.
      • Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
      • Check your DNS settings. Contact your network administrator if you're not sure what this means.
      • Try disabling network prediction by following these steps: Go to the wrench menu > Preferences > Under the Hood and deselect "Predict network actions to improve page load performance." If this does not resolve the issue, we recommend selecting this option again for improved performance.
      • Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
      • If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to Applications > System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies and deselect any proxies that have been selected.

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.

For the record, I've tried all applicable listed suggestions.

Scaredycrow wrote:

It's like it sucks all the internet's power away from everyone else

Reload this webpage later.
      Technically, this will fix the problem. :p
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

What kind of package do you have with your ISP? Maybe there simply isn't enough bandwidth to do both.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.