the rocking horse winner question

• the rocking horse winner question

I have to write an essay about the short story called "The rocking-horse winner"
      I'm writing an essay based on the mother's attitude toward her son undergoes a development during the story. Describe her first attitude and trace the changes in this attitude referring to significant passages in the story"
      I know that in beginning, the mother doesn't care about her children.
      and at the end she does.
      I want to know what happens in the middle, the mother's attitude towards her son.
    • Re: the rocking horse winner question

The mother is really a static character. She changes a little bit, but not a whole lot. In the beginning the mother's attitude is she really doesnt care about her kids, and all she does is complain about not having money. In the middle, its safe to say she still didnt care because when she started getting the money and started "Careing" for her kids, it was only because of the money. Her attitude never really changges until the end when paul gets sick. so yea i would say, her attitude in the middle is positive compared to her attitude in the beginning because she starts buying stuff for the house and hires paul a tutor.

make sure u mention how the main issue in the story was greed and that paul's mom only cared about money, so paul felt that he needed money to get his mother's love!

hope this helps. its very hard to explain lol good luck with the essay
      :rofl: