Depressed about my life.

• Depressed about my life.

Hello everyone, I'm new here but I wanted some suggestions on what I should do or at least some support.
      Here is my story:

Okay, so I am a 14 year old male, turning 15 soon, in my first year of High school.
      I started getting acne around Grade 7, never really was a big problem for me up until Grade 8 graduation, I started breaking out like crazy right after that moment during the summer, I tried topical medications, then I ran out of it and broke out until I went to my doctor to get some new medication. It helped for a little bit, in the start of High school but now it seems like It's stopped working, I'm breaking out in places where I haven't even had acne before, I even break out on my upper arms, back, even chest! And I'm only 14!!! I wash my face everyday, I am very careful when dealing with it, and I eat a lot of fruits and I cut out on dairy products. Why am I developing this? I understand I got bad genes from my mom, (since she had acne growing up) but I am developing this annoying persistent acne that itches and is unbearable. I was thinking about Accutane for a while, because I know that will clear my skin... But it has too many side effects like stunted growth, hair loss, IBS, etc, (Look it up) and to top it off my parents are strict and when I complain about my acne, they say "Why are you complaining about this little thing? You should be studying," or whatever. When this "little thing" is all I think about everyday, like I can't even look in a mirror anymore because it just reminds me that that's how my skin looks. I see kids in my age group who have the lightest acne ever, and I think to myself, WOW I just wish I had that, that light acne that goes away by itself, instead of this annoying persistent acne that takes so long to heal and itches and prevents me from living my life to the fullest, and It's got me depressed, some days I feel better about it, today I don't feel so good.

Anyways, thanks for reading this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Re: Depressed about my life.

AdiZero wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new here but..
      -snip-

*mumbles to myself how I hate how whenever people are sad they cry depression*

Anyway, really, this is a pretty average teen problem. Some teens get acne worse than others, but every teen is self conscious about it. Don't worry too much about it, it's not even a big deal. These are really the only things you need to do to reduce your acne:

1. Keep your face clean. Whether or not you have acne, it's important to wash your face daily to remove impurities, dead skin cells, and excess oil from the skin surface. Use warm, not hot, water and a mild facial cleanser. Using a harsh soap (like deodorant body soap) can injure the already inflamed skin and cause more irritation.
      Avoid scrubbing your skin harshly with a washcloth, exfoliating glove, or loofah (a coarse-textured sponge). Gently wash it with your clean hands or a very soft cloth. Always rinse well, and then dry your face with a clean towel. (Toss the towel in the laundry hamper, as dirty towels spread bacteria.)
      2. Moisturize. Many topical acne products contain ingredients that dry the skin, so always use a moisturizer that minimizes dryness and skin peeling. A gel-based moisturizer usually works well for oily skin. If you have dry skin, try a moisturizing cream or lotion. Combination skin may need two products (cream or lotion for the dry section; a gel for the oily part). Always hydrate your skin with water before you moisturize it.
      3. Try an over-the-counter acne product. Topical (those applied to the skin) acne products may contain ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide, an antibacterial agent with a drying effect, or salicylic acid, an agent that sloughs off skin and gets rid of bacteria. Start with a small amount at first. Then increase or decrease the amount and how often you apply it, depending on how much peeling or drying you have. Use these ointments with caution if you have sensitive skin. Benzoyl peroxide can cause redness and scaling of the skin. It can also bleach your clothes, towel, and hair.
      4. Watch what you put on your hair. Avoid using fragrances, oils, and harsh chemicals on your hair. These ingredients can drip on the face, blocking the skin pores and irritating the skin. Stick to a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Oily hair can add to the oil on your face, so wash hair often, especially during a pimple outbreak. If your hair is long, keep it pulled off your face.
      5. Keep your hands off your face. Avoid touching your face or propping your cheek or chin on your hands. Not only can you spread bacteria, you can also irritate the already inflamed facial skin. Never pick or pop pimples with your fingers, as it can result in infection and scarring.

Really, you can't stop your acne or anything. Eating fruits and cutting back on dairy well, I doubt that will do anything. This is part of growing up, the only way you can stop your acne is to stop your hormones, which you can't do. You just have to learn to live with it.

My lil brother has it too and he's younger then you. Also my dad has it too.

ofcourse don't scratch it or touch it much then it will get worse.
      You could go to the docter another time saying it doesn't work anymore and ask for something else.
      Also don't shower too long and too warm if you do. And somewhere I heard milk from a horse would help, got no idea if it really does work but you can always try ofc.

And my bro had got some pills from the docter, it really worked good, everything was almost gone (dunno how it's called) but he wasn't allowed to use it another time cause he was young and it would be bad for him.

Also there is a topic on TH where someone posted a website in it which is a forum for ppl with acne. Maybe you can find some more tips there.
      [CENTER]It's the missing that will kill you,
      knowing you've missed your shot.
      ☆[/CENTER]

Little Raven wrote:

*mumbles to myself how I hate how whenever people are sad they cry depression*

Anyway, really, this is a pretty average teen problem. Some teens get acne worse than others, but every teen is self conscious about it. Don't worry too much about it, it's not even a big deal. These are really the only things you need to do to reduce your acne:

1. Keep your face clean. Whether or not you have acne, it's important to wash your face daily to remove impurities, dead skin cells, and excess oil from the skin surface. Use warm, not hot, water and a mild facial cleanser. Using a harsh soap (like deodorant body soap) can injure the already inflamed skin and cause more irritation.
      Avoid scrubbing your skin harshly with a washcloth, exfoliating glove, or loofah (a coarse-textured sponge). Gently wash it with your clean hands or a very soft cloth. Always rinse well, and then dry your face with a clean towel. (Toss the towel in the laundry hamper, as dirty towels spread bacteria.)
      2. Moisturize. Many topical acne products contain ingredients that dry the skin, so always use a moisturizer that minimizes dryness and skin peeling. A gel-based moisturizer usually works well for oily skin. If you have dry skin, try a moisturizing cream or lotion. Combination skin may need two products (cream or lotion for the dry section; a gel for the oily part). Always hydrate your skin with water before you moisturize it.
      3. Try an over-the-counter acne product. Topical (those applied to the skin) acne products may contain ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide, an antibacterial agent with a drying effect, or salicylic acid, an agent that sloughs off skin and gets rid of bacteria. Start with a small amount at first. Then increase or decrease the amount and how often you apply it, depending on how much peeling or drying you have. Use these ointments with caution if you have sensitive skin. Benzoyl peroxide can cause redness and scaling of the skin. It can also bleach your clothes, towel, and hair.
      4. Watch what you put on your hair. Avoid using fragrances, oils, and harsh chemicals on your hair. These ingredients can drip on the face, blocking the skin pores and irritating the skin. Stick to a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Oily hair can add to the oil on your face, so wash hair often, especially during a pimple outbreak. If your hair is long, keep it pulled off your face.
      5. Keep your hands off your face. Avoid touching your face or propping your cheek or chin on your hands. Not only can you spread bacteria, you can also irritate the already inflamed facial skin. Never pick or pop pimples with your fingers, as it can result in infection and scarring.

Really, you can't stop your acne or anything. Eating fruits and cutting back on dairy well, I doubt that will do anything. This is part of growing up, the only way you can stop your acne is to stop your hormones, which you can't do. You just have to learn to live with it.

is not really a big deal and just follow what they say