How to convince my mom to let me get a job at 14?

• Re: How to convince my mom to let me get a job at 14?

Are you sure that's even possible? Around here, there's laws that protect people under the age of 15 or 16 (can't remember) from doing certain jobs that might be considered dangerous, so a lot of people don't hire younger people.

I suppose it depends on job availability in your area, but why don't you wait until you're a little older?
    • Re: How to convince my mom to let me get a job at 14?

Hi there -

I got my first job at 14 years old as well, so I know how you feel. I would start off by proving to your parents that you are mature and responsible enough to hold a job and avoid letting it negatively affect your schoolwork.

In addition, I would do a lot of research into potential jobs available for someone that's your age and in your specific community. Get a lot of research and possibly present it to them on paper. This will not only show that you're well-prepared with a lot of information, but it'll show that you're mature and truly want this additional responsibility.

Furthermore, you could make a list of reasons re: why you want to get a job. Think about this yourself. Why do you truly want to get a job? Be honest with your parents and give them your reasons.

I do hope this works out for you. Getting a job is an exciting thing and teaches you a lot of valuable life skills. Plus, it looks good on a resume.