The Future and the Whole College Thing...?

• The Future and the Whole College Thing...?

I've been really apprehensive towards going to university and what I want to study.

I haven't got any idea what it is I want to study. I keep getting interested in things, but when I actually look into them and what they require, I quickly get bored of it.
      I'm supposed to be all set for university (application-wise) by June.

I've spoken about it with my family, but we just get nowhere. And my friends aren't much help. Most of them just want to study what will get them the most money. Don't get me wrong, money is great, but I'm not about to become a doctor just to get the big bucks. I want to enjoy what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life.

I have my heart set on going to Europe, mainly because I live in the Caribbean and it's so far away. Far away is exactly what I want, even though everyone else seems to hate it. I do not, I repeat, do not want to study in the US or anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. Perhaps I don't have my priorities straight, but yeah. I just want to do more than see the world; I wanna live in it.

I know there are Liberal Arts schools in America, but since I'm not going there....
      In Europe, you're supposed to know what it is you want to do from the beginning, because changing majors is apparently a very big and difficult process. (I'm just going off of what my teachers tell me for this, by the way.)

I'm not really sure what I'm asking for. I'm not expecting you guys to start giving me different career options, since you don't really know me. But I suppose I just want some advice on what I should do, or at least how I should think about this.

For some reason, I can't seem to shake the feeling that I'm looking at the world one way, but in reality it's something entirely different.

Anyways, advice, help, maybe a big wake-up slap?

P.S. - Looking around isn't really an option where I live. All we have are business and shop owners, which I've already decided isn't for me. So my research goes as far as what the internet can tell me.
      I don't know what I want to do, but I do know what I don't want to do. Stupid, right?

P.S.S. - I'm in my Junior year of high school. I've been having these doubts since I was a freshman. People used to tell me I had forever to think about what I want to do, but I can see that hasn't really been working.
    • Re: The Future and the Whole College Thing...?

Many people don't go to university immediately after they graduate. I know a lot of people who have gotten work visas and lived in Europe for a year or two before going to school again.

I'm not sure how things work in Europe, but perhaps you could try to find a program that starts out a little more broad before you have to start focusing the major (some sort of arts & science)?

Good luck, anyway. :)
    • Re: The Future and the Whole College Thing...?

a lot of universities have their own prospectus, its like a book in which there's described the whole range of courses that you can take, there are many useful things. So i suggest you choose one of the following options:
      1. you choose a place where you want to study, then you go through the website and the prospectus and all that stuff and you decide which course you like the most (so you pick up the college first and then you think what exactly interests you)
      2. first you think what you are good at, what subject at school you like the most etc. so you kind of choose the way you want to go, and then you think of the courses that are the closest to the things you would like to do in the future.

thats true you shouldnt choose the course only for money reasons, but you have to pick someting that will give you some possibilities in the future. i wanted to study english philology. thats what really made me feel cool and stuff, but then when i started thinking about it, it turned out that there was no much of a career possibility after graduating, so i chose the computer science - my second huge interestment, which gives me a nice chance for my future.

good luck with your choice!