Does God Exist?

• Re: Does God Exist?

run101 wrote:

all i can say is for those who don't believe God exists.... you better hope you're right

Yeah I can understand why you might say that, but on the flip side, you religious people better hope that god does exist... If the totalitarian dictatorships return you better hope you're praying actaully did something. Look at all the Jews that were killed in nazi germany and Stalinist Russia, did god save them? Nope... their bodies were burned in ovens of the concentration camps and never seen again. Is there a after life for those who died there? I can't say, but then again, you should hope that their is one or else all that faith in god was a waste.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

run101 wrote:

what are you basing your decision/opinion on? have you done any actual research yourself?

I'm not even choosing a side, so why would I need evidence? All I'm saying is that I'm sure nothing will convince me to believe in god or not to.
      Since when do you need evidence for not choosing a side? It doesn't make any sense.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Nightfall ().

Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Evidence for the Big Bang
      Big Bang Theory

The third on the list is named a 'theory'. A theory by definition cannot be fact, and therefore can't be evidence.

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model that explains the early development of the Universe,
      Above is the first sentence on the link to Wikipedia. Again... a theory cannot be fact, and therefore can't be evidence.

Before beginning the examination of the evidence surrounding current cosmology, it is important to understand what Big Bang Theory (BBT) is and is not.
      Second paragraph of the 'Big Bang Evidence' link... Again... a theory cannot be fact, and therefore can't be evidence.

Definition of:the·o·ry

A proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Definition of:
      con·jec·ture
      Guess; speculation.

You have given no evidence with these links. You have only established that your Big Bang is indeed nothing but a theory cooked up by people who have nothing better to do.

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

You can make the same argument in the inverse. Did the universe suddenly appear from nothing?

Well, considering I believe the big bang theory, the universe (to the naked eye) did suddenly appear from nothing...

KIA&SS, what about God? God is simply a theory cooked up by those who have nothing better to do than impose control on people. The Big Bang Theory is indeed a theory, but so is most of science, that's just how it works. You cannot simply say, WOAH MAN, THAT'S A THEORY, ITS WRONG.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4] I Love You Cassie<3
      OOOOH THESE KNIVES MAN
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Laddergoat. ().

Laddergoat. wrote:

Well, considering I believe the big bang theory, the universe (to the naked eye) did suddenly appear from nothing...

KIA&SS, what about God? God is simply a theory cooked up by those who have nothing better to do than impose control on people. The Big Bang Theory is indeed a theory, but so is most of science, that's just how it works. You cannot simply say, WOAH MAN, THAT'S A THEORY, ITS WRONG.

Idk... This is can go on forever. Really think about it, if you are saying the was something before the big bang, then what created that? See how that can never be answered? Since we don't know for sure, we can only speculate.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

KIA&SS wrote:

The third on the list is named a 'theory'. A theory by definition cannot be fact, and therefore can't be evidence.

Above is the first sentence on the link to Wikipedia. Again... a theory cannot be fact, and therefore can't be evidence.

Second paragraph of the 'Big Bang Evidence' link... Again... a theory cannot be fact, and therefore can't be evidence.

A proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Definition of:
      con·jec·ture
      Guess; speculation.

You have given no evidence with these links. You have only established that your Big Bang is indeed nothing but a theory cooked up by people who have nothing better to do.

I think this sums it up guys

Nayr343 wrote:

Idk... This is can go on forever. Really think about it, if you are saying the was something before the big bang, then what created that? See how that can never be answered? Since we don't know for sure, we can only speculate.

Well, the end of a previous universe I assume. Its a perpetual cycle, the end of one, the beginning of another. Not instantly of course, but nothing happens quickly in that sense.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4] I Love You Cassie<3
      OOOOH THESE KNIVES MAN
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

KIA&SS wrote:

The third on the list is named a 'theory'.
      You're confusing the everyday concept of a theory with a scientific theory. In order for something to be a scientific theory, it must be well substantiated with evidence to back it up.

KIA&SS wrote:

A theory by definition cannot be fact, and therefore can't be evidence.
      You want to run that one by me again? A theory is made up of evidence. That's what theory means...to be substantiated by evidence.

You're essentially saying the big bang has no evidence because it's a theory, which shows a fundamental misunderstanding of science on your part.

KIA&SS wrote:

Second paragraph of the 'Big Bang Evidence' link... Again... a theory cannot be fact , and therefore can't be evidence.

Definition of: con·jec·ture
      Guess; speculation.

Again, you're confusing a scientific theory with the everyday usage of "theory."

According to the National Academic Press:
      "Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses."
      Science and Creationism: A View from the National Academy of Sciences, Second Edition

The big bang theory is a scientific theory; therefore, by definition, it's a well-substantiated theory.

Laddergoat. wrote:

So if the universe can appear from nothing, why can't God?

Laddergoat. wrote:

Well, the end of a previous universe I assume. Its a perpetual cycle, the end of one, the beginning of another. Not instantly of course, but nothing happens quickly in that sense.
      In which case, the universe is eternal. And that leads me to the inverse question: if the universe can be eternal, why can't God?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

realdrizzy13 wrote:

Believe what you want about god but If you use logical thinking it is pretty clear that he doesnt exist

What logical thinking? The thing about logic is that it is limited in what It can prove because it depends on fact... And we humans know that we dont have a facts for every little in the universe. In fact we still don't know crap about whats really out there. If scientist can PROVE (no more theories scientists... Pls) that god doesn't exist then you atheist's can make that point. However you will not prove that for a LONG time (if ever).

You're confusing the everyday concept of a theory with a scientific theory. In order for something to be a scientific theory, it must be well substantiated with evidence to back it up.
      Scientific Theory as defined by you:

"Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses."

Hypothesis
      Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.

A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.

Tentative
      Not fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on; provisional:
      Uncertain; hesitant.

Inference
      The act or process of deriving logical conclusions from premises
      known or assumed to be true.

Premises
      A proposition upon which an argument is based or from which a conclusion is drawn.

Proposition
      A plan suggested for acceptance; a proposal.

Suggest
      To insinuate or bring to mind.

Insinuate
      To introduce or otherwise convey (a thought, for example) gradually and insidiously.

Insidiously
      Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner:

Intended to entrap; treacherous: insidious misinformation.

Beguiling but harmful; alluring:

It can
      incorporate facts and laws. But It can also incorporate inferences and Hypothesis.

In other words just because its a scientific theory does not mean it is evidence or fact.

that's true; however, the Creationism theory is a theory too...... the Big Bang theory is scientifically based whereas the Creationism theory is religiously based
      Both have scientific base and assumption base. Both creation and the Big Bang can also be considered religious by nature.

www .irc. org/article/177/
      www .creationism.org/heinze/SciEvidGodLife. htm

Nayr343 wrote:

If scientist can PROVE (no more theories scientists... Pls) that god doesn't exist then you atheist's can make that point. However you will not prove that for a LONG time (if ever).

There's no PROOF that God exists. Therefore, he doesn't exist.

Just because YOU believe he exists doesn't mean it's true. You could also believe in unicorns, but that doesn't mean they actually exist.
      Hope is like a butterfly, it can be killed with one quick movement.