Romney vs. Obama

• Re: Romney vs. Obama

run101 wrote:

Which candidate do you want for president, and why?
      Obama for numerous reasons. To name a few, significant health care reform, the stimulus package, saving the automotive industry, bringing the Iraq war to a close, and other smaller accomplishments such as ending don't ask, don't tell and improving student loan regulations.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

??? Yeah So the republicans get victories... Big whoop. The USA is getting more and more left leaning everyday and you know it. If Romney wins it won't be like Ronald Reagan easy victory. Look at those maps again, you'll see the more heavily populated city areas like Cali or Ny are blue. These states are worth so much more than the other states in elections and this is why democrats are becoming hard to beat. I'm not even democrat but I can still see it.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Oh and the democrats almost always get more minortity votes and women votes (very effective) than the republicans.

Nayr343 wrote:

??? Yeah So the republicans get victories... Big whoop.
      It was one of the largest congressional seat changes in U.S. history, effectively stopping Obama from pursuing any of his objectives. It also broke the record for the number of legislative seat changes on the state level. So yeah, I'd call it a "big whoop."

Nayr343 wrote:

The USA is getting more and more left leaning everyday and you know it.
      Anything to back this up or am I supposed to just take your word for it?

Nayr343 wrote:

If Romney wins it won't be like Ronald Reagan easy victory.
      And on the flip-side, if Obama wins it probably won't be a blow out either.

You make it sound as though Reagan won solely because the Republicans were immensely popular. Reagan's huge victories were a combination of his popularity, a stable economy and blunders by his opponents. Not to mention his presidency was served under a congress that wasn't controlled entirely by Republicans.

Nayr343 wrote:

Look at those maps again, you'll see the more heavily populated city areas like Cali or Ny are blue.
      The electoral map is always changing. Back in the 1960's and 1970's, the Democrat would often carry Texas.

Nayr343 wrote:

These states are worth so much more than the other states in elections and this is why democrats are becoming hard to beat. I'm not even democrat but I can still see it.
      Weird. I seem to recall both Gore and Kerry winning California and New York, but last I checked, they both lost.

Nayr343 wrote:

Oh and the democrats almost always get more minortity votes and women votes (very effective) than the republicans.
      And Republicans tend to get the white male vote. What's your point?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

It was one of the largest congressional seat changes in U.S. history, effectively stopping Obama from pursuing any of his objectives. It also broke the record for the number of legislative seat changes on the state level. So yeah, I'd call it a "big whoop."Anything to back this up or am I supposed to just take your word for it? And on the flip-side, if Obama wins it probably won't be a blow out either.

You make it sound as though Reagan won solely because the Republicans were immensely popular. Reagan's huge victories were a combination of his popularity, a stable economy and blunders by his opponents. Not to mention his presidency was served under a congress that wasn't controlled entirely by Republicans.The electoral map is always changing. Back in the 1960's and 1970's, the Democrat would often carry Texas. Weird. I seem to recall both Gore and Kerry winning California and New York, but last I checked, they both lost. And Republicans tend to get the white male vote. What's your point?

Obama care doesn't prove this country is becoming lefty? (this is just a question from a amateur, if you disagree I'll glady listen to your opinion). Yeah the republicans mostly get rich white men but that's it really it... (compared to the democrats who get support from blacks, hispanics, homosexauls, women, green movement) There are some exceptions but still mostly rich white men. I was also thinking about how democrats are becoming more popular THESE days. I'm not talking about Reagan or bush I'm talking about right now.
      I will admit you're the one of the few dudes I've met on here that brings good evidence (yes that was a complement, :)TAKE IT!) You're evidence proves your point really well that republicans were always dominant back then. If Obama loses to Romney later this year I'll admit that democrats aren't dominant over the republicans in the present day :D.

Romney has all of the older, wealthy republicans on his side. With the tax cuts that republicans generally introduce this favors the rich. This is how he gets their vote. When the rich have to pay less taxes then the gap between rich and poor is widened, which is sad. Multimillionaires are living it up in mansions while the middle class are loosing jobs.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I'm not saying that I'm 100% correct, but if someone can give me a feasible, logical argument that Romney will do good things for the United States as president then I would love to hear it.

Nayr343 wrote:

Obama care doesn't prove this country is becoming lefty? (this is just a question from a amateur, if you disagree I'll glady listen to your opinion).
      Please don't tell me you're one of the people who calls the health care reform "Obamacare?"

Many provisions in the health care law merely take power away from insurance companies who were actively denying people treatment that would save their life. I don't call that a leftist idea; I call it common sense.

Nayr343 wrote:

Yeah the republicans mostly get rich white men but that's it really it...compared to the democrats who get support from blacks, hispanics, homosexauls, women, green movement
      Not really. Republicans get wealthy white voters, evangelical Christian voters, and seniors. In the end they often times balance out, and the election is decided by swing voters.

Nayr343 wrote:

I was also thinking about how democrats are becoming more popular THESE days. I'm not talking about Reagan or bush I'm talking about right now.
      Right, but you had used an example back from the Reagan years. So I followed suit.

Nayr343 wrote:

You're evidence proves your point really well that republicans were always dominant back then.
      My evidence does not prove that. As I mentioned previously, Republicans did not usually control both the executive and legislative branches at the same time. As in the instance of Reagan, as popular as he was, Democrats always had at least one majority in Congress.

Nayr343 wrote:

If Obama loses to Romney later this year I'll admit that democrats aren't dominant over the republicans in the present day
      The issue isn't as black and white as you're implying. A Democratic or Republican candidate winning an election doesn't instantaneously make that party dominant.

Papa Bear wrote:

if Obama care passes, then you could talk about the US becoming a lefty (which i hope it does btw)
      "ObamaCare" passed over two years ago.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]