PC Assembly help

• PC Assembly help

Hey people, if someone here is a tech expert, please help me. I have some questions about assembling a pc.

I have some knowledge about hardware (i just suck at software), i'm not a n00b, but i'm no expert to. Do you think someone like me CAN assemble a desktop? I was thinking about a gaming pc.

The principal components are (and correct me if i'm wrong or if i forgot something):

Motherboard
      RAM (goes in the memory slots in the motherboard)
      CPU (goes on the socket in the motherboard)
      Videocard
      HDD (i don't really know much about these, i heard about Sata, e-Sata and other things...)
      The box that gives power to the pc thati don''t really know the name since i'm not a native english speaker :p
      The tower itself (lol)
      The DVD drive

Things i have questions about: Fans. Where are the fans placed? The CPU has to have a fan above it, right? But i've heard about heatsinks...

But mostly. Do you think i could assemble a computer?
    • Re: PC Assembly help

McDerp wrote:

Things i have questions about: Fans. Where are the fans placed? The CPU has to have a fan above it, right? But i've heard about heatsinks...

I suggest you spend hours looking at youtube how-to videos and read building threads on overclock.net. You first need to familiarize yourself with all the parts and their function.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thank you both, i'll check the sites ;)

Do you think I should buy the components one time to time (now i buy the case and motherboard, next month CPU [and assemble this 3] the month after the graphic card and so on...) or buy them all when i already have the money?

Anyone here already assembled a pc?

Late post or not, still replying.

McDerp wrote:

I have some knowledge about hardware (i just suck at software).
      The point of this topic is generally hardware based, not software. :p

McDerp wrote:

Motherboard
      RAM (goes in the memory slots in the motherboard)
      CPU (goes on the socket in the motherboard)
      Videocard
      HDD (i don't really know much about these, i heard about Sata, e-Sata and other things...)
      The box that gives power to the pc thati don''t really know the name since i'm not a native english speaker :p
      The tower itself (lol)
      The DVD drive

Motherboard: This will determine which CPU and RAM you buy, as there are many types of socket types, and 3 RAM slot types. I recommend getting any Intel 1155 motherboards, thus allowing you to get an i Series Intel Processor (i3, i5, i7). However, make sure it's the 2nd Gen. CPU. You'll know when you read the description, as it'll tell you the socket type and stuff.

RAM: If you're getting a decent motherboard that is up-to-date, chances are you want to be getting DDR3 RAM, you don't have to pay attention to anything else really. Unless you're fussy about speed on the RAM. I'd recommend a min. of 4GB.

CPU: Again, based on the motherboard you get, it will determine what CPU you get. I prefer Intel as they've never let me down, and you want to go for the i Series family. But remember, the socket type MUST match for the CPU and motherboard!

Graphics Card: This is generally your own personal choice really. So long as it's a PCI-E graphics card, you can get whatever.

HDD: Since there's so many to choose from you're pretty much spoilt for choice. You want to get a SATA HDD (Not e-SATA), if you can afford it, it'll be better to get 1x SSD and 1x HDD. Solid State for your OS, and the standard HDD for all your other crazy junk.

PSU: The box that gives you power. Depending on how much internal hardware you have, depends on what PSU you need. Best to get around 750W as then you have room to upgrade and not worry about a power issue.

Tower: No need to explain this really, besides the form factor. If the motherboard is mATX, then you want a tower that supports mATX. If you get a motherboard that is ATX, then you clearly want an ATX tower.

DVD-Drive: Any will do, to be honest.

McDerp wrote:

Lots of people I know that custom build prefer a custom heatsink and CPU fan, but I've never had any issues with the stock cause I don't overclock. For now, just stick with stock (which comes with the CPU).

McDerp wrote:

Thank you both, i'll check the sites ;)

Do you think I should buy the components one time to time (now i buy the case and motherboard, next month CPU [and assemble this 3] the month after the graphic card and so on...) or buy them all when i already have the money?

Anyone here already assembled a pc?
      As previously mentioned by other members, order them all at once.