Olympic Games in London

• Re: Olympic Games in London

I'm English and I haven't met anyone here who even cares that the Olympics are in London, much less are they going to see it. I am however in the North East of England. But we had the Olympic Torch go by here, and neither me nor any of my friends or family went to see it.

What I and I think most people in this country really care about is that Russia have bought our World Cup. Russia, a country with no adequate facilities to host a world cup and widespread political corruption even today, and England a country with everything already there, and with venues not hundreds of miles away from each other. And don't get me started on Qatar getting to host the world cup. I thought that was some sick and twisted joke.

I'd love the world cup to be here, I think every family in the country would love the world cup here. In a second I would swap the Olympics for the world cup. Everyone would. Whether they love football, like football or don't even care for it, everyone realises the passion football brings to the country wherever England plays - the country comes alive. Imagine if it was here. Everyone feels as miserable as ever in the lead up to the Olympics.

No1sPerfect wrote:

I'm English and I haven't met anyone here who even cares that the Olympics are in London, much less are they going to see it. I am however in the North East of England. But we had the Olympic Torch go by here, and neither me nor any of my friends or family went to see it.

What I and I think most people in this country really care about is that Russia have bought our World Cup. Russia, a country with no adequate facilities to host a world cup and widespread political corruption even today, and England a country with everything already there, and with venues not hundreds of miles away from each other. And don't get me started on Qatar getting to host the world cup. I thought that was some sick and twisted joke.

I'd love the world cup to be here, I think every family in the country would love the world cup here. In a second I would swap the Olympics for the world cup. Everyone would. Whether they love football, like football or don't even care for it, everyone realises the passion football brings to the country wherever England plays - the country comes alive. Imagine if it was here. Everyone feels as miserable as ever in the lead up to the Olympics.

Russia actually has decent facilities. As for Qatar, someone threw a lot £'s.

hurr durr this event sux ballz

Be glad your country is relevant enough to host something like that.

It doesn't compared to the England, nor does it have the same high level of security (as shown by a fifa report on the bids) as England, and surely a politically corrupt country doesn't deserve the honour of the biggest sporting event in the world anyway? Obviously FIFA doesn't stand against corruption :wink:

Anyway moving on to the Olympics I'm simply saying I'm not interested in it, people I know personally aren't interested in it, and on the news all the people interviewed in my area as to whether they are interested in it or not said they weren't. How can I be glad when my family could never afford tickets to watch the Olympics, would have to holiday at the other end of the country to watch them costing more money, and my area will go unaffected as a result of the London Olympics? There will be no transport improvements, no people will holiday here giving monetary benefits to where I live. I have nothing to gain. I'll be watching the 100m final on the tele just like if the games were held in any other country. I'm sorry I can't be glad, for your sake.

No1sPerfect wrote:

Anyway moving on to the Olympics I'm simply saying I'm not interested in it, people I know personally aren't interested in it, and on the news all the people interviewed in my area as to whether they are interested in it or not said they weren't. How can I be glad when my family could never afford tickets to watch the Olympics, would have to holiday at the other end of the country to watch them costing more money, and my area will go unaffected as a result of the London Olympics? There will be no transport improvements, no people will holiday here giving monetary benefits to where I live. I have nothing to gain. I'll be watching the 100m final on the tele just like if the games were held in any other country. I'm sorry I can't be glad, for your sake.

I get your point, going there is an expensive luxury. If the WC was held in England you probably could go there, as it wouldn't be in one city. As for me, I'd have to travel at least 1000km :lol: