Martial Arts

• Re: Martial Arts

capoeira

jokes

actually capoeira can be effective if you're fighting against someone that's trained, its really the element of surprise with it that knocks off people that fight regularly. Of course its impractical also, but youll win a fight easily against untrained aggressors with it.

but yea, what the above posters said, MT/boxing and bjj are the most practical martials to use to defend yourself. There is a huge argument of whether MT or boxing is better, but I say that they're useful in given situations.

Bhenji wrote:

This. I have taken muay thai, BJJ, a month or two of MMA, and Krav Maga. I couldn't get enough. It is probably the most useful of any self defense system because it is just that, a defense system. It's not a martial art, there are no rules of engagement, it teaches you how to not just fight back, but to make sure that the guy trying to hurt you can't get back up and fight. I'f you're looking for a sure way to defend yourself on the street from fists, knives, bats, or even guns, then krav is where to go.

cool, u go to PG

JC wrote:

You have a good argument, and you are absolutely right in that grappling techniques would be great for such an example.
      You are overlooking something , however.

Aikido is very ineffective. BJJ has proven to be a better style to learn than Aikido when dealing with grappling techniques. It's not only about ground combat, it teaches various standing locks, takedowns, and throws. After all, they gotta be able to get a fight to the ground in order to win it, don't they?

Aikido's training methods are the true question here, since last I heard, they don't let you engage in any sparring at all because the techniques are 'too dangerous'.
      They don't apply their techniques against any worthwhile resistance.
      What makes you think that what you can't even try out against someone resisting in a controlled environment (dojo) , will work against someone in the street that's out to hurt you?

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you're saying.

Aikido isn't entirely ineffective but it does take a long time for it to become effective. Partly because it's hard to practise the complicated potentially bone breaking techniques against opponents who are resisting, and also because of Aikido's tendancy to focus on avoiding all bodily harm, even at the cost of effectiveness, efficiency and ease of execution.

And +1 to everything Asphalto said.

And I havn't actually heard that much about Krav Maga, but it does look like a pretty good style for learning self defense.

i've trained and several styles and every one is practical . seeing how something can be used and when is what it's all about . in any martial arts , you are taught the techniques but it's up to you to decide when to use them . even if you know the right technique , if you can't execute it properly then it's pointless . find a martial arts that emphasizes your personal strengths , don't just find one that's generally good . it's all about being comfortable and efficient in martial arts . and i have fought with a couple aikido practitioners , it's not completely impractical as some say .

boxing is the most practical for street defense. anyone can learn it, it can be learned quickly but can be trained to complexity.it also has a strong following and you will get lots of experience sparring. you can also enter competition, and will be in fantastic shape. boxing gyms are also everywhere.
      kickboxing is great as well(what i trained) if you want to learn to kick in addition to your hands, but dont count on using it in a street fight above the knees. krav maga and judo are excellent as well. judo throws are deadly, stand up grappling and locks are extremely useful. while krav maga teaches weapon defense.

you never want to kick in a street fight and wont be able to efficiently due to people usually wearing pants. or someone catching your kick and giving you a beatdown. you also never want to go to the ground in a street fight either, people dont fight fair. expect boots to the jaw and friends to jump in. most martial arts taught dont have enough real world application and focus more on the tradition. this is because they have become more watered down throughout the ages because sparring these martial arts it would be common that participants were killed using these moves.

but the best advice is to learn to recognize danger and stay away. and to run very fast.

endgame wrote:

...you never want to kick in a street fight and wont be able to efficiently due to people usually wearing pants. or someone catching your kick and giving you a beatdown. you also never want to go to the ground in a street fight either, people dont fight fair. expect boots to the jaw and friends to jump in. most martial arts taught dont have enough real world application and focus more on the tradition. this is because they have become more watered down throughout the ages because sparring these martial arts it would be common that participants were killed using these moves.

but the best advice is to learn to recognize danger and stay away. and to run very fast.

If you're going to street fight, I recommend finding someone to teach you arnis de mano or any other martial art that starts you off with a weapon.

As far as kicking efficiently, I can kick someone in the face if I'm wearing jeans. I just have to break the jeans to do it. Part of learning self defense is learning to be prepared, and part of being prepared is dressing for the occassion.

If you want a taste of martial arts, you might want to see if your local community college has any courses on them (they'll be under PE). Once you figure out if you like it, and what you want out of it, the instructor there can recommend someone to you.

There are a lot of bad martial arts teachers out there, and some of them spend a lot of money on advertisements. Don't train with the guy who will train you to break boards with your face. Ask around, talk to real martial artists and see who they recommend. The art matters a lot less than the teacher.

As far as capoeira goes, finding a bunch of friends that like to do kung fu dancing goes a long way towards self defense by itself. For the rest, capoeira is very different from oriental martial arts, and mixing the two practically guarantees that someone will get hurt.

> Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan here (plus a smattering of other arts). By green belt, you should be able to kick someone in the face. By red belt, you should be able to do it twice.

The post was edited 3 times, last by dire ().