Parents Party More Than I Do

• Parents Party More Than I Do

My parents are 40 and I'll be 18 in 3 weeks.

Two years ago we moved into this neighborhood and it wasn't long before my dad started making friends. The same night we were moving in he met the people across the street and greeted them with beer. Ever since then they've been pretty tight. They're in their 30's. Not much of a difference though, right? Nah.

The people from across the street are in their 30's, sure, but they mostly associate with kids closer to my age. I can't really tell you why, but I get the idea it's because they don't want to feel like they're getting older. Hell, I don't care how old people are. If you have a good time, then who cares?

The problem I have is that kids from my school come around this neighborhood (It's a neighborhood that is constantly active, especially at night, especially when I'm trying to sleep because I have school..) Kids that range from 16-19 that go to my school, and while it isn't my place to judge who does what, it bothers me that a lot of them do come over to my house to hang out. No, they don't come to hang out with me because quite honestly they never acknowledge me. They're there to be with my parents and all the other people that cling to my parents' generosity.

My parents are the oldest of everyone so yea, they're more mature on a lot of things and everyone thinks they're the "Cool older couple."

While my parents and all their buds party it up in the backyard doing god knows what, I stay inside (when I'm even here) doing the household chores because they truly never get done if I don't. I actually spend the time I can away from home because of all the drinking and drugs that take place here and around the neighborhood. You know, just the other day a girl my age was over here with my mom and I look out the window and see that she's taking a hit off a pipe.

It's crazy to think that while my parents were lecturing me about not hanging around boys because they might have "Dirty things in mind," they're enabling kids that are their child's age to take part in drinking and pot smoking.

I feel more like an adult than my own parents half the time.

I already know I won't get any support here because people are going to think the complete opposite of what I'm feeling and let me know about it. I just had to get it out there.
    • Re: Parents Party More Than I Do

Yeah, like .. at first I think everyone thinks wow, what great parents I'd love to have parents like that.
      But it must be hard, you having to basically take the role as a parent.
      Do they know how you feel though? Like, have you sat them down and talked to them?
      Now that i've chose to become a pal, a sister and adviser, there's no body wiser.

:hugs: <-- because these make the world go round ;)

AlwaysHaveFaith. wrote:

Yeah, like .. at first I think everyone thinks wow, what great parents I'd love to have parents like that.
      But it must be hard, you having to basically take the role as a parent.
      Do they know how you feel though? Like, have you sat them down and talked to them?

I certainly think they know how I feel. Just the other night I got home from spending the day with a friend, and a girl a year younger than me approaches me drunk and says, "HEY I REPLACE YOU TODAY!! I MADE FOOD FOR YOUR FAMILY." Just a minute before my dad had greeted me with, "Oh look it's my oldest daughter." It pissed me off because of what my dad said, and also because any of these people would be lucky to even have a percentage of what I am. All of them either dropped out of High school or couldn't even finish. Here I am a straight A student with plans for college, and I have to come home to a mess every day. Some nights I can't even sleep because people are going in and out slamming the front and back door and yelling because they're all so drunk.

I told my mom how disrespected living in this house makes me feel and she just shrugged it off as if I was being over the top. I actually think that my parents (mostly my dad) prefer these other kids over me because they have more in common. I.E, everything illegal for them to be doing..

I asked my mom if she would do me a favor and let me have a nice quite birthday at home without all of these people around. I didn't want all of these people I'm not even friends with to be at our house drinking and eating my cake on my birthday. I asked her for that simple request and her response was to get upset and tell me, "UGH, Well you know I can't just tell them no! Whenever there's an excuse to drink, they do!"

Your parents are very creepy and immature hanging out with people that are almost your age, I am sorry but we just needed to establish that. Secondly, I've never seen a situation like this before so I highly recommend you call the crisis or family help center hotline. There is a national one but there are many local ones too, search it up. They can definitely help you with your situation better than this website can

I suggest talking to your parents first though. Be serious and tell them straight up about how creepy and unruly they are being. You live in the U.S., providing alcohol to people under 21 is a criminal offense. You can mention that too

The post was edited 3 times, last by V1NC3 ().