UK Students!

• Re: UK Students!

Im actually doing mine now so i'll relay what other people have told me: Start off with an original sentence which immediately indicates what course you want to apply for - but not simply "i want to study medicine because it has always been my dream to be a doctor" (as a general example). The point of the personal statement is to get your personal input for the application. The admissions people want to know who you are and why you are a good candidate, so the most important thing is that it sounds like YOU. Use original vocabulary but dont use a thesaurus and end up putting in words you dont understand (we dont want a 'Baby Kangaroo Tribiani' incident)

Obviously it can differ depending on what subject you are taking, but the academic side of things is very important. Make sure you showcase your qualifications and achievements early on to catch the readers attention. Whats really important though is that it all flows. Treat it like you would a piece of English coursework - dont have a sentence about what GCSE results you got, and then move on to a sentence about extracurricular activities or something completely different. Also, speaking of extracurricular, pick the ones you put on the PS carefully. A DofE or EPQ will look very impressive immediately, whereas a JSLA could look irrelevant.

They will also probably appreciate outside reading, but make sure you have reas every book you put on there thoroughly, not just once or twice, as they may very well ask you detailed questions about it in interview.

Also make sure your closing sentence is a clear and brief summary of why they should choose you. Often if a University is stuck between candidates they will use the personal statement as a decider, so make yourself look the best you can (i know its hard to be deliberately a bit arrogant but you kind of have to be!)

I hope thats got you off to a decent start. Sorry if i rambled a bit! Best of luck and if you need any more help feel free to post here or PM me.