Education Differences Based On Country

• Re: Education Differences Based On Country

Then, if it's not a funding issue, explain why the United States education system is ranked so highly but those within it perform so lowly.

As, I'll admit I don't know much on the issue, as I'm just going off something I'm studying at university currently and the textbooks we're using. If anyone has other information I'm open to it. I know even books can be wrong.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Musicaddicted ().

Ziggs wrote:

So what are you trying to say? Improve our education or remove welfare as an incentive?

I am saying that a better educated America would lead to higher employment or more diverse employment, in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Ari Gold wrote:

40% of adults in the United States have graduated from college, as opposed to 30% in the United Kingdom.

Just putting that out there.

Mkay, I can deal with that as a good argument for American education. You'd think it'd be higher in the UK with the difference in education costs.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

Musicaddicted wrote:

The percentage of college graduates who are unemployed is still significantly lower than non-graduates who are unemployed, so there is some correlation.

This is a correlation that will always remain. You can't blame the quality of education on this. Blame social stratification. People who are educated will always seek out jobs, and employers will seek them out.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ziggs ().

Ari Gold wrote:

University actually costs a lot in England. It's only free in Scotland.

Didn't they install an education cap of £9,000 last year in England? For native students that is...international costs a lot more from what I've seen looking at studying abroad for the rest of my degree. I didn't know Scotland provided free education either though.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Ziggs wrote:

This is a correlation that will always remain. You can't blame the quality of education on this. Blame social stratification. People who are smart, will always seek out jobs, and employers will seek them out.

But you aren't only as intelligent as you happen to be when you're born. It's not a genetic trait, at least not entirely. So, with better or more education, couldn't it be argued that the US overall would become a better country?
      ~*~

Musicaddicted wrote:

Didn't they install an education cap of £9,000 last year in England? For native students that is...international costs a lot more from what I've seen looking at studying abroad for the rest of my degree. I didn't know Scotland provided free education either though.
      Yeah, there's a cap at £9,000 (around $12,000.) Nearly every university in the UK, as far as I know, charges the maximum. Despite that only 3 or 4 of them are actually worth paying that for. You can get a better education cheaper in the USA.

My tuition is around $9,000 at a university that's ranked above nearly everything in the U.K. There's obvious exceptions, and I concede that the top U.K. universities are cheaper than the top U.S. universities, but let's be honest: most people will never have a shot at those unis anyway.

Musicaddicted wrote:

But you aren't only as intelligent as you happen to be when you're born. It's not a genetic trait, at least not entirely. So, with better or more education, couldn't it be argued that the US overall would become a better country?

That's not the point. Academic achievement isn't prioritized in lower class families, sometimes it's even looked down upon. I've personally witnessed this. I do agree that a better educated America would greatly benefit every aspect of our lives. I don't think anyone would dispute with that, but that's not the topic of debate here.

Ari Gold wrote:

Yeah, there's a cap at £9,000 (around $12,000.) Nearly every university in the UK, as far as I know, charges the maximum. Despite that only 3 or 4 of them are actually worth paying that for. You can get a better education cheaper in the USA.

My tuition is around $9,000 at a university that's ranked above nearly everything in the U.K. There's obvious exceptions, and I concede that the top U.K. universities are cheaper than the top U.S. universities, but let's be honest: most people will never have a shot at those unis anyway.

The US also does have a greater number of options for schools, spread out over a larger area, which I suppose is a plus.

I'd say the downside of the highest ranking universities in any country--but especially the US because there is no tuition cap--is that it's a lot more about who can fund what, not just who is the more intelligent applicant. Or, what your last name is. It irritates the hell out of me when celebrities in America get honorary degrees for existing/name recognition ha.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Ziggs wrote:

That's not the point. Academic achievement isn't prioritized in lower class families, sometimes it's even looked down upon. I've personally witnessed this. I do agree that a better educated America would greatly benefit every aspect of our lives. I don't think anyone would dispute with that, but that's not the topic of debate here.

True, sorry, I swung a little off topic to what I was talking about earlier in the America vs. England thread ha. I've never understood why the lower class would look down on what could help them rise above though.
      ~*~

Musicaddicted wrote:

True, sorry, I swung a little off topic to what I was talking about earlier in the America vs. England thread ha. I've never understood why the lower class would look down on what could help them rise above though.

Haha Don't worry about it. They don't fully understand it's potential. Probably because they've never had a college graduate within their family members to relate to. They'll also say things like "I can't afford it", "it takes too long", "I'm not smart enough", "I can be making more money as an independent contractor" etc. I'm not making this up. I've actually heard people say this. Colleges understand this kind of mentality exists, hence why there's first-generation graduate scholarships.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ziggs ().

Wow, it just seems so backwards! But I guess you base opinions off of experience, and a family without a college graduate so far, has no experience to draw on.

That's another thing though, some countries don't take as long to complete a college degree! America is 4-5 years for bachelors and 2-3 (I think) for masters, where some countries are 3 years for bachelors and 1-2 for masters.
      ~*~

The education system in England is shockingly bad, I can't really compare it to other countries, but I missed almost every Maths lesson over the first 4 years of Secondary school, only to attend on the last year, yet I still got a high grade. They teach you stuff you don't need to know, stuff that won't be on the test and stuff that you won't come across in the real world unless you take Maths further, which is a waste of time.

And also if you finish a qualification in a subject early, quite a few classes will prepare you for that same subject but at a higher qualification even if no one in the class intends to take it further. That was half a year wasted on nothing when we could have gotten another qualification

The work load for some subjects is also stupidly low, for my ICT qualification, which was a 2 year course, I didn't do anything for the first year, did all the work in the second yet I got a the highest marks possible and highest grade possible. At the same time though it astounds me how some people don't even make the pass mark.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Savoir ().

Savoir wrote:

The education system in England is shockingly bad, I can't really compare it to other countries, but I missed almost every Maths lesson over the first 4 years of Secondary school, only to attend on the last year, yet I still got a high grade. They teach you stuff you don't need to know, stuff that won't be on the test and stuff that you won't come across in the real world unless you take Maths further, which is a waste of time.

And also if you finish a qualification in a subject early, quite a few classes will prepare you for that same subject but at a higher qualification even if no one in the class intends to take it further. That was half a year wasted on nothing when we could have gotten another qualification

This is too true. They often don't tell you that the extra content won't be on the exam so you spend all your energy trying to learn it and bypassing the actual exam content. Then it comes to revision season, you break out some past papers and wonder why all that hard stuff you just mastered isn't there.

Now if that content was for a subject you can get in depth, interesting personal study and can apply your findings to real life, like History, then this wouldn't be a bad thing. But this pattern seems to occur with a certain subject. Seriously, have any non-Mathematicians managed to use vectors in real life?