My taste in music disgraceful to my religion

• My taste in music disgraceful to my religion

So I'm a christian... But not really religious, more spiritualistic... I'm not going to get into my own personal faith here but I have a question...

My mother is very straight up in your face christian (I'm obviously not) and she thinks that my music is "Sinful"

Whats your opinion, if you are religious (or even if you're not) do you think the things you watch/read/listen to can be "Sinful" or wrong.

My more extreme music tastes (according to my mother) mainly include: Marilyn Manson, Lady Gaga, Adam Lambert, Tokio Hotel, Panic! At The Disco, Mindless Self Indulgence, My Chemical Romance and a few hard rock bands that I'm too lazy to list.

What are your thoughts on music and religion? How do you feel abotu your own musical taste affecting your own beliefs? Any similar experiences with your parents?
    • Re: My taste in music disgraceful to my religion

LetsKillTonight wrote:

So I'm a christian... But not really religious, more spiritualistic... I'm not going to get into my own personal faith here but I have a question...

My mother is very straight up in your face christian (I'm obviously not) and she thinks that my music is "Sinful"

Whats your opinion, if you are religious (or even if you're not) do you think the things you watch/read/listen to can be "Sinful" or wrong.

My more extreme music tastes (according to my mother) mainly include: Marilyn Manson, Lady Gaga, Adam Lambert, Tokio Hotel, Panic! At The Disco, Mindless Self Indulgence, My Chemical Romance and a few hard rock bands that I'm too lazy to list.

What are your thoughts on music and religion? How do you feel abotu your own musical taste affecting your own beliefs? Any similar experiences with your parents?

I'm a Christian as well.
      I don't really see why there's a big debate on music and religion. For example, take My Chemical Romance's early formation. This is my opinion/outlook on it all: "God made Gerard Way witness 9/11 and influenced him to start the band. God gave him a sign to write the song "Skylines and Turnstiles" to express his feelings about 9/11." and so on, you get the idea of what I mean, hopefully. Everything happens for a reason in my opinion.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Feel free to PM me anytime about anything![/SIZE][SIZE=7][SIZE=6]
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE][CENTER][SIZE=4][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 2 times, last by ItsMee ().

Music taste has nothing to do with religion, unless it's a song about sinful actions which you plan to pursue. Either way, that is personal and not relative to music or religion.
      [CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]When the city sleeps, I'm wide awake.
      You know what I see? High rises. Low lifes.
      Bright lights and back alleys.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

Quite honestly, I second what Hannah said. Music and religion are two separate entities unless you chose to join them by following the actions certain songs mention.

I went to Catholic school growing up, and while I have a few differences of opinion with the Catholic faith, I still consider myself Catholic. But, I listen to all sorts of music, from songs that talk about silly topics to songs that verge on disgusting or ridiculous.

I do this because I see songs as stories. If I'm going to say that stories harm my faith in some way, then I should also stop listing to the news because the stories on there are generally more terrible than those in music.

Just, try to remember the separation of music from faith, because while they can be connected, they don't have to be.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

I think religion is controlling and this just proves it. You should be able to do what you like without worrying about what God thinks or any other idiot (no offense) who believes in a religion. Listen to whatever you like! Swearing doesn't hurt anybody.
      [CENTER]Ask me a question[/CENTER]

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?

Jack Havock wrote:

This is why I hate religion. It's just music, and your mother doesn't like it so she thinks of an excuse for you not to listen to it.

No... Jesus loves you! :)

Papa Bear wrote:

you're going to hell, that music is shit

This.

OP, Maybe if you didn't listen to crap your mom wouldn't pull out that silly religious excuse.

i'm an arabic muslim, and our music is shitty, so most of us listen to american artists
      my advice 2 u is: don't worry about religious and stuff, u're not killing people and stuff, u're just enjoying ur time, and make this as ur logo (I LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC BUT I DON'T BELIVE IN YOU) ;)
      [COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]facebook.com/rockeur
      Subscribe 4 funny shit[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Unless it's music that's straight up worshipping Satan or dissing religion then yes, it's sinful, but really? I've seen so many people say that hard rock is against religion and it is ridiculous. Like other people said, music and religion have nothing to do with each other. I'm religious also, and i listen to music with screaming and swearing an all that, and it doesn't affect my faith in the least.

I do understand why some religions don't agree with music as it can influence you into doing stuff that is against your beliefs. I'm a Muslim and music isn't allowed. But I still listen to it.
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]People will hate you, rate you, shake you and break you. How strong you stand is what makes you. ♥
      [/FONT]http://www.staystrongyall.blogspot.com

You can't (and shouldn't) be punished for having your own taste in music.. and it's just music, it's not like you'll become atheist if you just listen to music.. I agree with what Zombienewt said, as long as its not crazy giving your soul to the devil music, then you shouldn't be worried! :)
      “I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.”

She's an idiot. I would love to hear her case on this just so I could dismantle it. So basically, if I believed in Jesus and God, and didn't commit any sins other than listening to Slayer, then fuck it, I'm burning in hell?

Years of christian schooling and I've yet to understand Christianity in the slightest.