Your first DIY computer?

• Your first DIY computer?

Hey fellow brothers of technology. This is the place to post the system specs of the first "baby"; or, basically, the first DIY computer you built.

Once our terrible X 12 Vista machine broke down, I convinced my dad to save money by letting build my custom-planned machine (which I was able to get Win7 Pro! =D) and sneak in some gaming components too. And only about 500 dollars for a system that plays Crysis 2!

I used a AMD Phemom II Quad-Core processor, 4 Gb Crucial Ballistix RAM, a Cooler Master Elite 540 desktop, a wonderful Asus M5A97 motherboard, a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 Gb hardrive, A GeForce 550ti video card, an internal optical drive + burner, and an additional 160 gb hardrive.
    • Re: Your first DIY computer?

First one I built had:

• i5-750
      • 8GB of Crucial RAM
      • 640GB WD hard drive
      • XFX Radeon 5770
      • 750W Corsair PSU
      • Some shitty H55 MSI motherboard

I was kind of a noob and not happy with that build whatsoever. I picked a horrible fucking case that didn't have any sort of cable management whatsoever, and very very poor airflow. I also couldn't figure out how to mount the CPU cooler properly so I just set it on the CPU and kept the computer lying flat on its side. Yes I was a horrible noob.

Current build, which I've had for almost two years now and very happy with:

• i7 2600K
      • Noctua NH-D14 cooler
      • 16GB GSkill RAM
      • EVGA GTX 580
      • ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
      • 128GB Crucial M4 SSD
      • Lots of HDDs
      • same Corsair PSU from original build
      • Corsair 650D case

Reminds me, I need to crack it open and clean out the dust, haven't opened it up in a few months...

The post was edited 1 time, last by xyz123456 ().

cant really remember the full specs of my first build, it wasnt the best. AMD 4200 or something to that effect, geforce 6600 PCI-e, 2GB DDR, 200GB HDD,

next one,
      Q6600, Asus P5KC Mobo, Geforce 8800GT 1GB, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR2, Antec P182 case, Antec 850W Modular psu.

Current build,
      I7 950, Asus Sabretooth Mobo, Nvidia 460, 1TB HDD, 6GB DDR3, Antec P182, Antec, 850W psu, NH-U12P cpu cooler.

getting a bit out of date now but im at uni so not the top of the list of my priorities anymore. Or im just waiting for DDR4, got to keep the upgrade trend up, lol.

rmg126 wrote:

DDR4 won't be out for a couple more years yet, and when it is released it'll cost 50 trillion dollars per GB (my official estimate.) DDR3 was also expensive as shit for awhile when it first came out too.

I was only saying cos ive gone from DDR-DDR2-DDR3 for my self builds. but tbh i dont think we will see DDR4 anyway, graphics cards are allready on 5 so it would more than likely be that as a next step.

sptsheff wrote:

I was only saying cos ive gone from DDR-DDR2-DDR3 for my self builds. but tbh i dont think we will see DDR4 anyway, graphics cards are allready on 5 so it would more than likely be that as a next step.

Samsung is gearing up for DDR4 release in the future and they've got the fabrication plants being readied for large-scale production. Intel is planning support for DDR4 with Haswell-EX, and Skylake will be the first consumer series with DDR4 support. It's definitely going to happen, it's just a matter of time.

And GDDR5 used in graphics cards isn't the same thing as far as I know.

The post was edited 1 time, last by xyz123456 ().

rmg126 wrote:

Samsung is gearing up for DDR4 release in the future and they've got the fabrication plants being readied for large-scale production. Intel is planning support for DDR4 with Haswell-EX, and Skylake will be the first consumer series with DDR4 support. It's definitely going to happen, it's just a matter of time.

And GDDR5 used in graphics cards isn't the same thing as far as I know.

GDDR and DDR are two completely different things.

The first system I built was an AMD K5 system. I don't remember any of the specifications at all. Shit was IDE and parallels back then. Ran Debian Bo with the gnome 1.x. Though it didn't take me long to switch over to E. Which I ran steadily until gnome 2.x hit the scene.
      A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.
      [INDENT]Friedrich Neitzche
      [/INDENT]

My first and current build is:

AMD Phenom II x4 965. Overclocked at somewhere around 3.7 GHz
      Two 2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Two empty slots that I'm planning on filling soon.)
      NVIDIA GTX 550 ti
      600 W PSU
      Kuhler water cooling system... I can run all four cores at max speed and the air coming out from the cpu will still be cool.
      For hard drives, I'm using a 120GB SSD and then a 250 GB Western Digital (Blue) as well as an external 1 TB
      I have Windows 7, but I primarily use Linux Mint.

It plays BF3 at high settings while watching a video and participating in a Skype group call.

I was originally using a random Mid ATX tower, but I was having trouble fitting everything in it nicely, so I bought a Full ATX tower.
      - Ghukek

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghukek ().