So I'm new.. And fat. =/

• So I'm new.. And fat. =/

Hi all,
      found this forum a little while back and lurked for about a month. Enjoyed the atmosphere here and found most of the people here to be excellent, easy going and easy to talk to things I can't really talk to my best friends/family/teachers about. Great place for any teen =)

So as the title suggests I am fat and a bit self aware about it. I'll be honest about it when I look in the mirror I'm quite disgusted with myself. It sucks.
      Every day I see people and I wonder what it would be like to have their body and it upsets me.
      But enough about my problems,hopefully some solutions!

So at school (the UK in case you're interested) they recently started a mini gym (weights upto about 40 kg, running machine, rowing machine, just a small school gym) and it got me motivated to try and lose some weight and hopefully build muscle. I've been researching ways to lose weight and build muscle and came up with zilch (for my age anyway). Most of the links I'd click were just repetataive advice saying the same thing again and again. Which didn't help much.
      So I joined this forum hoping I can get some insight from you guys.
      Breakdown of me:

• Height: Around 5'8 or 5'9
      • Weight: 100kgs (I am sorely ashamed of this, depresses me everyday)
      • Build: not much =/ some very light muscle on my arms but thats about it
      • Lifestyle: Typical lazy teen. Food wise I eat no breakfast, maybe a small burger from the canteen and a small Yazoo. Dinner is typical asian food (chapatis and a curry). I don't excericse much but I stand for around an hour and a half each day druring break and lunch and some walking around the school. I walk about a mile and a half from the bus station to home. I also live in a smoking household, if that helps. One final thing is that I get around 9 and a half hours of sleep per day.
      Thanks in advance guys, really appricaited
    • Re: So I'm new.. And fat. =/

The first thing you need to do is change the way you eat, at the very least you need start eating breakfast. You should try to eat four smaller meals every day, that will help to speed your metabolism up. Instead of just standing around during your free time, go to the gym and hop on the treadmill or rower. If you are on the treadmill go slightly faster than walking or if you are on the the rower a good pace would be 500m every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. You just have to go fast enough to get your heart rate up but not so fast you cant keep going of mor than a few minutes at a time. If you do that you should lose weight pretty quickly, but when I say quickly that means 2-3kgs a week maybe it could be less. More than likely you didn't get fat overnight, so don't expect to lose the weight overnight. As far as weight training goes there are dosens of programs that you can find online, there might even be somebody in your school that can help you out.
      Look at yourself in the mirror and tell me what a man is without pride, tell me what a man is without fire in his eyes.

1.) Ask yourself this question.
      What do I believe I will need to do to get to my target weight/ideal body?
      2.) Do that.
      Thats all it is. If you believe that that will get you to where you want to go, and you do it, then you will get there.
      Option 2: Change what you believe it will take to get to where you want to go.
      Do that instead.

Its simple, lets not overcomplicate life.

YO_VANILLA wrote:

The first thing you need to do is change the way you eat, at the very least you need start eating breakfast. You should try to eat four smaller meals every day, that will help to speed your metabolism up. Instead of just standing around during your free time, go to the gym and hop on the treadmill or rower. If you are on the treadmill go slightly faster than walking or if you are on the the rower a good pace would be 500m every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. You just have to go fast enough to get your heart rate up but not so fast you cant keep going of mor than a few minutes at a time. If you do that you should lose weight pretty quickly, but when I say quickly that means 2-3kgs a week maybe it could be less. More than likely you didn't get fat overnight, so don't expect to lose the weight overnight. As far as weight training goes there are dosens of programs that you can find online, there might even be somebody in your school that can help you out.

Thanks =)
      The tips you've given are actually more helpful than 90% of the sites I've been to :thumbsup:

I've also heard about working a muscle to failure to try and build muscle is this a good idea?

Thanks again =)

Geyete wrote:

Thanks =)
      The tips you've given are actually more helpful than 90% of the sites I've been to :thumbsup:

I've also heard about working a muscle to failure to try and build muscle is this a good idea?

Thanks again =)

If I was you I would just focus on doing body weight exercises (push-up, pull-up, sit-ups, etc.) Rather than muscle building. You would be surprised at how strong you can get just from those types of exercises. There are a number of books about it, my favorite is called 'Convict Conditioning' you should be able to find that pretty cheap, I believe you can even download it as an ebook. Trust me it is much more impressive to able to do one arm handstand pushups than it is to have big muscles.
      Look at yourself in the mirror and tell me what a man is without pride, tell me what a man is without fire in his eyes.

Do activities you enjoy like walking, ice skating, swimming, cycling etc and you don't see it as a form of exercise.

(Sorry if you covered this in your thread, didn't read it thoroughly) Think why you go to food a lot. Maybe you have a bit of depression which you should tackle which may help you avoid food as a comfort. Find an alternative to food when you need some comfort.

Stick to three meals a day. Get some healthy cereal for breakfast and have about half a bowl. Then have controlled portion sized meals with healthy foods for lunch and dinner. If you want a snack, have a piece of fruit. If I feel hungry, I just think to myself, 'my body will end up burning my fat for energy and my belly will stop rumbling and it won't be a problem.' :P I think it's all about your mind set sometimes.

Get a family member to help you out. See a dietician to help. Plus, if you get a job, you will naturally lose weight with all the hard work. :)
      Eat less, move more.
      [CENTER]Ask me a question[/CENTER]

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?