Do you think there is such a thing as Black music and White music.?

• Do you think there is such a thing as Black music and White music.?

Hey, so ummm do you think there is such a thing as black music and white music because I hear alot of people refer to many music genres as white people music (ie. Rock and Country) and certain music genres as black people music. (ie. Rap, Rhythm and Blues, and Hip Hop) I wanted to know what you guys thoughts were on this particular subject...
      I am such a small fry.
    • Re: Do you think there is such a thing as Black music and White music.?

Most of your modern music comes from blues, which was made almost entirely by blacks. Rock is credited to Elvis, who's white, but a lot of people argue that people like Buddy Guy, who was black, were actually the first RocknRoll musicians. On the other hand, you've got a lot of Rap/Hip hop/RnB artists now who are hispanic or white.

Calling one type of anything white and the other type black is a vast oversimplification that has essentially no relation to reality. It also further suggests that whites and blacks are inherently different in someway unrelated to skin color, which also has no basis in reality.

tl;dr distinguishing between white and black music is dumb and pointless.

Well, statistically speaking, there would obviously be one race that is more dominant in any given genre. But, to divide all music into white or black seems silly.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

music is like a vendiagram, i would say that some music could be called "white" or "black" but those terms are pretty loose and are better for complimenting other genres. white gospel is distinctively and clearly different from black gospel i guess. but honestly i've never described any music by skin color... it just feels so wrong in the spirit of music :)

I personally think that music used to be more polarized than it is now. I mean, back in the day you had "black music" with artists like Little Richard, James Brown, and Sly Stone that made distinctly "black music". Then you had "white music" with artists like Pink Floyd, The Beatles, David Bowie, and many others. Either way, you could just tell if the music was "white or black". In my opinion, black music leaned towards funk, RnB, and early Rock n Roll while white music was more of glam rock, punk, and disco. But eventually, people started to put the different genres of music together (sorta like how Disco was derived from funk and New Wave was derived from Punk) so now you kinda have music that shares traits of both black and white music. You can hear the blending of the different genres in David Bowies Young Americans album, Prince's Dirty Mind, and a lot of music from Rick James. So no, I don't believe in black or white music anymore.