I don't cut!

    • I don't cut!

      When I tell people I'm partly emo, they always seem to assume I'm the type to cut and brood all the time. That's not me. I'm not a full-fledged emo, and yet people seem to think it's all or nothing. They either say "Of course you're not emo! You never cut yourself!" or they say, "Ew. Get away from me. Go cut." I get that cutting is very emo, but I'm not that kind of emo! I'm only partly emo. We're emotional train wrecks, sure, but you can't say we all do something as sad and terrible as self-harm. Why is it that nobody can see that?

      EDIT: A lot of you are saying I'm assuming only emos can cut. That's not the case. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]Life's a thousand yesterdays to learn from, a thousand tomorrows to plan for, and one today to be the best you can be.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

      Post was edited 1 time, last by TheGirlyEmo ().

    • Re: I don't cut!

      Maya:O wrote:

      ...Just because people cut doesn't make them emo.


      True, it works both ways. I'm just saying that not all emo people cut themselves. I didn't mean to imply that everyone who cuts is emo. In the emo community, however, only the full-fledged ones, the kind with black hair and piercings and stuff, cut. There are exceptions, of course, but I personally have never purposefully self-harmed, unless you count the occasional facepalm. :D Sorry if I offended you.
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]Life's a thousand yesterdays to learn from, a thousand tomorrows to plan for, and one today to be the best you can be.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    • Re: I don't cut!

      A lot of people just judge way too fast, they should get to know that person first before saying anything.

      I had that too once, some guy who I am now good friends with told me once that I always looked like a mean, angry person since I wear black a lot etc. but once he knew me and got friends with me he noticed im totally the opposite. Actually funny when he told me though.

      Anyway, just ignore those people.. if they dont want to know you then let it be, you know who you are and that the important thing.
      [CENTER]It's the missing that will kill you,
      knowing you've missed your shot.
      ☆[/CENTER]
    • Re: I don't cut!

      'Emo' is an image and music genre subculture. Cutting is associated with the feelings that create the subculture. The link is there, but its not immediate. It's about as useful as expecting Schwarzenegger to fight in a real battle, because that was his image in the films, that was his 'thing' that his films were obsessed with. That idea sounds fucking stupid. So does expecting all emos to cut.
    • Re: I don't cut!

      TheGirlyEmo wrote:

      When I tell people I'm partly emo, they always seem to assume I'm the type to cut and brood all the time. That's not me. I'm not a full-fledged emo, and yet people seem to think it's all or nothing. They either say "Of course you're not emo! You never cut yourself!" or they say, "Ew. Get away from me. Go cut." I get that cutting is very emo, but I'm not that kind of emo! I'm only partly emo. We're emotional train wrecks, sure, but you can't say we all do something as sad and terrible as self-harm. Why is it that nobody can see that?
      i dont get this TO BE OR NOT TO BE
      either you are emo and do what emos do or your not an emo!
    • Re: I don't cut!

      Well, quite honestly, if you don't want problems, stop classifying yourself by silly social divisions like emo and just be a person. Then, at least if people want to classify you, you're not helping them to do it. :nono: Additionally, like someone mentioned above, emo is primarily a classifier for a music genre and the subculture surrounding...so, for that reason alone, I would say simply stop calling yourself emo in any regard unrelated to music.
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!
    • Re: I don't cut!

      Musicaddicted wrote:

      Well, quite honestly, if you don't want problems, stop classifying yourself by silly social divisions like emo and just be a person. Then, at least if people want to classify you, you're not helping them to do it. :nono: Additionally, like someone mentioned above, emo is primarily a classifier for a music genre and the subculture surrounding...so, for that reason alone, I would say simply stop calling yourself emo in any regard unrelated to music.

      she wants to call herself emo because she doesn't have an identity! She obviously doesn't have one and would wish to belong somewhere in the society.she is a wannabe. i mean since when is there partially emo. ohh and emos cut themselves because their emotional train wrecks!
    • Re: I don't cut!

      imchamp wrote:

      she wants to call herself emo because she doesn't have an identity! She obviously doesn't have one and would wish to belong somewhere in the society.she is a wannabe. i mean since when is there partially emo. ohh and emos cut themselves because their emotional train wrecks!


      I'm not completely emo. I'm part girly and part emo, which is why I chose the username TheGirlyEmo. You all seem to be assuming that emo and girly are black and white, with no inbetween. Guess what? I'm gray.
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]Life's a thousand yesterdays to learn from, a thousand tomorrows to plan for, and one today to be the best you can be.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    • Re: I don't cut!

      Partially identifying with a subculture is actually perfectly fine. Me, I actually identify with the hipsters to some degree- I love the music they love, I'm studying literature, wear the clothes very occasionally, love pretending I'm smarter than I actually am etc XD. What I don't like is the perpetual condescending irony and nihilism behind that subculture; I prefer being sincere, optimistic, and generally value other people's opinions. When it comes to subcultures, the best thing to do is not to throw yourself in completely- as with all things, cherry-pick the aspects that you think suit you best, and that you like the most.
    • Re: I don't cut!

      TheGirlyEmo wrote:



      I'm not completely emo. I'm part girly and part emo, which is why I chose the username TheGirlyEmo. You all seem to be assuming that emo and girly are black and white, with no inbetween. Guess what? I'm gray.


      I mean this in the nicest possible way: Why do you feel the need to label yourself as "part this and part that"? Just be yourself!
    • Re: I don't cut!

      @above: I never really thought about that. I just sort of feel like I'm a mix between two seemingly incompatible extremes. Maybe imchamp was partially right when she said I feel the need to identify with someone. I wouldn't say I'm a "wannabe", I just don't want to become my own freakish category, so I think of myself as a little bit of both, if that makes any sense.
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]Life's a thousand yesterdays to learn from, a thousand tomorrows to plan for, and one today to be the best you can be.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    • Re: I don't cut!

      I see what you mean. To be fair it took me a long time to stop trying to fit a category but towards the end of secondary school you gradually stop giving a shit. That's the thing though, you say you don't want to be your "own freakish category", but just don't think of it as a category. You're not a freak, you're an individual (a serious compliment).
    • Re: I don't cut!

      TheGirlyEmo wrote:

      True, it works both ways. I'm just saying that not all emo people cut themselves. I didn't mean to imply that everyone who cuts is emo. In the emo community, however, only the full-fledged ones, the kind with black hair and piercings and stuff, cut. There are exceptions, of course, but I personally have never purposefully self-harmed, unless you count the occasional facepalm. :D Sorry if I offended you.


      No. No they don't.

      Don't moan about people assuming when you're doing exactly that. Stop digging or you'll soon be hitting the Earth's core.
      [CENTER]

      [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]When the city sleeps, I'm wide awake.
      You know what I see? High rises. Low lifes.
      Bright lights and back alleys.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

      [/CENTER]
    • Re: I don't cut!

      Shortages wrote:

      No. No they don't.

      Don't moan about people assuming when you're doing exactly that. Stop digging or you'll soon be hitting the Earth's core.


      I said there were exceptions, didn't I?
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]Life's a thousand yesterdays to learn from, a thousand tomorrows to plan for, and one today to be the best you can be.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]