Dropped out of college!

• Dropped out of college!

Hi. I made a thread about this a little while back, but I want to be more specific:

Went through a semester of college and I decided I'm not going back next semester. I dropped out, didn't register for classes.

Mom and dad don't know yet. I'm nervous to tell them, not sure what their reaction is going to be. My dad will likely be upset about wasted money, because I didn't earn any credits.

That's all. Any words of advice? Thanks guys.
    • Re: Dropped out of college!

Can't help you with your dad being mad. You didn't earn ANY credits your one semester there? You failed every one of your classes? I suggest you take a semester or two off and work, try to pay him back some of the money you wasted. When you get to a certain point of working minimum wage at a job you hate, you'll realize how much you took for granted and how much you really do need college, and you'll start taking it a bit more seriously. If you do decide you want to go back to school right now, I suggest only part time at a community college so you can get your head on straight.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling
    • Re: Dropped out of college!

Mr.Scarazzini wrote:

Let me just add a little extra info to clarify - I only attended the school to see what musical knowledge I could soak up, which I did. I'm a working professional musician, and that's the calling I'm continuing to work at.

I wasn't sure that I wanted to be in the school in the first place, but I gave it a shot anyway just to try it.

I'm glad you're intent on developing a career as a musician. Fortunately, a college semester bill isn't that bad. It's 1/8 of the total college bill (assuming 8-semester curriculum). I'm guessing you're stuck with between 2k-15k in loans.

From a practical standpoint, you will be able to pay back that sum. It isn't something that will ruin your life, even if in the worst case you work for minimum wage to pay off the loan. This alone should be a reason for your parents to not go over the top during your confrontation.

Before confronting your parents, I suggest reflecting on your experience and then think of ways to pay off that debt. If you think was a waste of time & money, tell your parents that they have the right to be upset. More importantly, reassure them with concrete plans with which you will pay off the debt.

Be sure to follow through with your plans. Don't disappoint them twice!