Scars at a party.

• Scars at a party.

I have been an active self-harmer for two years now. My last self-harm attempt was two weeks ago, and 6/10 on a severe level.

Christmas wasn't long ago either. My grandmother had gotten me this beautiful sequenced top that must have been incredibly expensive, except the only problem is that it has no sleeves. My mom's side of the family has been organizing a New Year's Eve party, in which they do every year, and it's huge. Every HAD TO insist that I wear this on New Year's Eve, and my grandmother said this in exact words, "I would die if you didn't wear that to your mama's party!" The only problem is: I have pink scars all down my wrist.

The scabs have fallen off, the only thing left are the scars, and I'm not sure what to do. I really want to wear my grandmother's top, because she's old and she's getting sick, and I just want her to be happy, but what should I do about my wrists?

I honestly have no clue what to do. Are there any recommendations to cover up the scars some way but allow me to wear the top? Should I not risk it and wear the top another time, when the scarring has subdued? Help.
    • Re: Scars at a party.

As a fellow self-harmer, I can relate to this. You mentioned that the scars are on your wrist. Are they only on your wrist? And, if you don't mind me asking, how far up do they go? You could potentially cover the scars with bracelets and bangles, or even fingerless gloves or something.

Another option is to use foundation, but I wouldn't recommend this if the scars are very dark. I tried this and ended up layering way too much and it looked obvious.

They stop at the bend of my elbow, so I don't think bracelets would be too trendy all the way up to there. Foundation isn't a good idea with me either. I tried it once when going out in a t-shirt and it ended up itching like crazy and I ended up removing a layer of skin.

I guess I could always try a little sweater-shawl or something.

Thanks for the advice!

I self-harm, but I pretty much have only ever done it on my legs, and nowdays just the thighs/hips, so I don't have as much of a problem, though when I wear shorts you can see the faint marks on my leg from the old ones.

I agree with seeing if you can't fit something under the top that'll look cool. :)
      "I think you call me 'Sexy'." "Only when we're alone!" "We are alone." "Come on then, Sexy."
      ~I am the Doctor's Sexy