I'm here if anyone needs help or advise.

• I'm here if anyone needs help or advise.

Hey everyone, I recently just came back and I wanted to give an update about my personal struggles in life. I have over come my struggles and I'm now in my second year of college. I know some of you may remember me from my own struggles from my own story. I will post my story from a while back with my struggles for those who wish to read it.

A lot has changed since then and I'm happy to say that I have over come my depression, most of my health issues, although I still have my chronic pain issues. I want everyone to know that I was in the mind set back then as if nothing could ever change, I was always thinking negatively and I honestly thought that nothing could ever get better for me. I was wrong about that and I'm great full to those who helped me when I needed them most. I can't thank you enough and I wish to offer the same advise and help from my own experiences to anyone who is struggling or needs help. Feel free to message me or if you need a friend to talk to. I'm here for you and I'll do whatever I can to help and to listen to you. I know a lot of people feel that things will never change but things can and will if given enough time and I found ways of my own to help me through my struggles in life.

Again, if you really need someone to talk to and listen then feel free to message me as I'm here for anyone who needs someone to be there for them. I care about others and I want everyone to be happy in life and to go on to make their own future. Please know that things will never stay the same and that things can get better.

Thanks,
      Jon

This is the link to my own story - It's long, just a warning.
      I need someone to talk to. ( really depressed )
      Hi there, I honestly don't know where to begin but I'll try my best. I guess I should probably explain why I am so depressed and why I need someone to talk to.

My name is Jonathan and I have been depressed for about 4 or 5 years. I have been suicidal for a few years and I honestly don't think I can beat my depression. I also have health issues which started to happen 5 months after I was diagnosed with depression. My health issues are associated with my lungs and I also have chronic pain :(

I really don't know what to do anymore because my depression never seems to get better. My lungs continue to collapse and have been collapsing for the last 4 years. I have had 20 lung collapses in the last 4 years and my last one was in January 2009. I had a major lung surgery to stick my lungs to my chest wall so they can't collapse. However, my lungs always seem to find a way to collapse and it's just a question of time before they collapse again. I also have chronic pain that came about a year and a half ago. We think my chronic pain is from all of the chest tubes and lung surgeries I've had.

I also have no friends at all and I have had no friends for the last 5 years. I know it's sad and I fail at life for not having any but I can't help that. My dad usually gets a new job every 2-3 years so we move around a lot. It really sucks not having friends and i really wish I did have a friend or two. I guess I should explain why I have no friends and how my depression started.

Anyway, I was 14 when my dad got a new job and we moved from New York to Boston. My life was going really well and I was probably the happiest in my life when I lived in New York. Then my dad got a new job and we had to move to Boston. I had to leave all of my friends behind and I was just going into 9th grade at the time of the move. So we moved to Boston and I started 9th grade in a brand new High School with about 2000 kids. The move was really hard on me because I had to leave all of my friends behind. I'm also 50% deaf in both ears which doesn't help. So I went into 9th grade and finished the school year without meeting anyone. I went through the whole year without making friends at all. I don't know why but I did try my best to make friends.

So it's been about a year after we moved to Boston and I failed to make any friends. This was the start of my depression, I went into 10th grade and within a month I couldn't take it anymore. I decided to stop going to school and ended up dropping out of high school. I just couldn't go through another year without friends or having anyone to talk to. That's when I was Diagnosed with depression and I have been seeing people for it ever since.

About 5 months later both of my lungs collapsed for no reason at all. I spent two weeks in the hospital and I had chest tubes and everything. About two weeks after I left the hospital my lungs collapsed again so I had to go back and have chest tubes again. Then for the next two years I stayed at home and became really suicidal. My lungs continued to collapse and I would be in and out of the hospital every few months. I really had no chance of getting back into high school so my depression just got worse.

So this went on until we moved again to Wisconsin. Again my dad got a new job and we moved again. I decided to try high school again and tried it for half a year until I couldn't take it again. People were making fun of me because I am so pale and deaf. I was really hurt by all of the comments I would get called for no reason. So i decided to drop out again but instead of dropping out completely, I decided to do a GED with the school but at home. So I have been doing my GED at home for the last 2 years but that hasn't been going well. I have continued to have more lung collapses. About 6months into our move I started to have a lot of pain with my chest. So I see a whole bunch of doctors and it turns out that I have chronic pain from all of the surgeries I have had.

So now I have my depression, lung issues and my chronic pain to deal with. I have been alone for the last 4-5 years without any social contact. It really sucks and I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I have been seeing doctors for my depression and nothing has helped. The fact that I continue to have health issues and I'm in pain every day just makes things worse. I honestly don't think I can take much more.

I guess the whole point of my post is that I would like to have a friend or two to talk to. I just need someone to talk to and become friends with. I don't want someone who will judge me or whatever. I just want someone who is nice and friendly to talk to. This would be online and I really think it would help me if I had someone to talk to and express what I am going through. I also know a lot of people on this forum are going through depression and it would be nice to talk to someone who is going through what I am going through.

I really need someone to talk to and it would be awesome if someone could be my friend. This would just be online unless we became really good friends and wanted to meet in real life. I don't know what else to say besides that I really hope I can meet someone friendly and nice. I am willing to talk about anything and that I am willing to be a good friend to you.

Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Re: I'm here if anyone needs help or advise.

Thanks for the replies and of course I'll be friends with you guys. I agree Benton123 that doing Cardio is a great way to get in shape and it's a huge booster for people who are suffering with depression. I know I have struggled with depression for years and I have been quiet ill with lung issues although my lung issues are over for the most part. Yes, I still suffer from awful chronic pain but I'm seeing a pain management for that.

I have to say that exercise by far has been the biggest help in my fight against depression and I hope others who are suffering from depression take up some form of exercise. Do a sport or activity that you love and enjoy doing, I think you would be surprised at how helpful it can be in your fight against depression. It really does give you a huge boost and you actually start to find it enjoyable because you get to see how it's helping.

Also, one of the other things I have found is that it's extremely important to keep yourself busy. I can not state this enough as I struggled with this for a long time and I'm not surprised at all that I attempted suicide 2-3 times. It's extremely important to keep yourself busy with things because it will keep your mind off all of the negative things going on in life. If you can find something you love and continue to find activities that keep you busy and away from thinking about your problems, you will over come and beat your depression. I'm living proof with that and although I still have depression, it's a lot better than it was and I now don't view the world so negatively or view that I have a major depression disorder anymore. It's possible to beat it and I want anyone out there who is struggling to do whatever you can to take your mind off thinking about whats going wrong in your life.

It honestly doesn't matter what the activity is as long as it's keeping you busy, I mainly focused on getting fit, going out for walks, running, trying to meet new people and spending time finishing my GED as I was unable to finish high school due to my health reasons. I promise things will get better and no matter how hard it seems or how impossible it may seem, things will get better. When I was alone without friends, I spent a lot of time playing games, watching tv shows, reading and using the computer to take my mind off my negative thoughts. I really can't state how important it is and it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do something to keep you busy.

I started to notice that my depression wasn't getting any worst as I was doing things to keep my mind busy and it gets to the point where you honestly don't even think about the negative things any more in life. I used to be such a negative person and now I'm such a positive person and I love life despite all of the things that have happened to me. You can have a happy life and I only hope those who really need help have a chance to read my thread.

Feel free to message me as well and I'll be happy to talk and help.

Jon