Seeing a therapist without parents knowing?...

• Seeing a therapist without parents knowing?...

I have some major issues that I need to see someone about, but unfortunately I can't really involve my parents. s: They're kind of in a really rough place in their relationship, and me coming forward about this sort of thing would be what breaks them. .. and that's the last freaking thing I need.

Not to mention my mom is kinda of .. to put it nicely, not very understanding. Last time she found out I had emotional things going on, all she did was scream at me & call me names. Didn't do anything to help me, just isolated me into my room and wouldn't let me talk to anyone for a week (until i lied my way out of what i'd originally said).. also busted into my room at random times to scream at me. lol.

so i'm pretty much wondering, is there any way without taking drastic legal action that i could see someone? my dad isn't much better about that sort of thing sadly..

i've heard that if you're 16, that in some states you can get it without parental consent.. I live in NC, does anyone know if that's true here? I'd be willing to get a job and pay for it myself s:

The post was edited 1 time, last by pod.love ().

• Re: Seeing a therapist without parents knowing?...

I live in NC and so far the two counselers I've seen both said that they won't tell anyone what I said, I believe it was because I am an adult not a minor. Also can't remember quite when but I believe I was a minor at the time, when I saw a female-type doctor I had to sign a release form before my mom could be involved w/ certain things, so...*shrugs* Look around the net for laws I guess.

logan524 wrote:

my mom wants to send me away. she says i need a change.

Fantastic, but this isn't your thread and I wasn't talking to you.

TheDoctor'sSexy wrote:

I live in NC and so far the two counselers I've seen both said that they won't tell anyone what I said, I believe it was because I am an adult not a minor. Also can't remember quite when but I believe I was a minor at the time, when I saw a female-type doctor I had to sign a release form before my mom could be involved w/ certain things, so...*shrugs* Look around the net for laws I guess.

No, by law they can NOT tell ANYBODY what you speak about, even if you're a minor. Privacy laws. Just as a doctor cannot tell anyone besides immediate family the derails of your health, or a lawyer can't tell anyone details of a case. I suspect that even if there was cause to tell your family something concerning (say, for example, you were to admit that you're considering suicide...) They couldn't say exactly what you said, just that there was cause to believe that you're suicidal.

meg.loomis wrote:

Fantastic, but this isn't your thread and I wasn't talking to you.

No, by law they can NOT tell ANYBODY what you speak about, even if you're a minor. Privacy laws. Just as a doctor cannot tell anyone besides immediate family the derails of your health, or a lawyer can't tell anyone details of a case. I suspect that even if there was cause to tell your family something concerning (say, for example, you were to admit that you're considering suicide...) They couldn't say exactly what you said, just that there was cause to believe that you're suicidal.

u been very miserable latley megs boy problems are u having? i can help maybe

Isn't the school counselor free and obligated to not inform anyone unless you conscent to it?
      I see the school counselor and none besides the school director and the teacher who advised me to go see the counselor know. They said they wouldn't inform my parents unless I agreed.

But then again, I'm not American, so the rules might be different where you live. It would surprise me that you can't secretly see the school counselor though, because knowing that their parents will be informed probably would be something that could prevent a lot of distressed teens from seeking help.

Don't you have a free helpline in your country for counselling?

I have Kids Helpline in Australia. I think you can still call them from overseas but I'm not sure if it's still free or not. They're free here and literally saved my life because I can't talk to my parents either and I didn't want my friends to know.

Try searching for helplines in your country. Good luck though, sorry I couldn't help much.
      [COLOR="Plum"]Follow your heart but use your head as navigation[/COLOR]

meg.loomis wrote:

Meg is right.
      "You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like Heaven."