Would you date someone if you somehow know that the relationship would not last?

• Would you date someone if you somehow know that the relationship would not last?

I repeat the question: Would you date someone if you know, for definite, that it wouldn't last until marriage?

I'm not asking this question based on my own experience, but rather, to hear what people have to say.

And don't reply that "you can have sex with her" etc because that's not the kind of answer I'm interested in.

What I think is that one might be able to learn something from the relationship. But the time, energy spent, plus the probability of someone getting hurt from the relationship... So I would like to hear you guys' take on this.
      "You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like Heaven."
    • Re: Would you date someone if you somehow know that the relationship would not last?

ari96hot wrote:

Of course I do, like (almost?) any person worldwide. Dating is not for getting married, but to train themselves to get married (if you ever will)

livingtoride96 wrote:

Personally I wouldn't because I don't see the point in dating someone if I can see myself marrying them... But hey, that's just me :)

Both are what I thought. Which means I'll probably be in a dilemma sooner or later.
    • Re: Would you date someone if you somehow know that the relationship would not last?

ztmj96 wrote:

Both are what I thought. Which means I'll probably be in a dilemma sooner or later.

I think both of those two things too. Contradictory, I know, which is why I don't really know what I would do if I actually had to choose between one of them... :confused:

meg.loomis wrote:

Most relationships don't last anyway, tbh. So why not.

Right, but if you know there's not even a possibility then why put so much time and energy into it? I doubt it would be a very good relationship anyway if your trying not to get in too deep because you don't want to get hurt in the and... In my opinion.
      [CENTER]And in no way is it worth
      Losing everything I am including these words

[/CENTER]

I'm not sure. A month ago I would have said no, but right now I'm almost in a relationship with someone that I'm 95% sure I won't marry (she wants to leave for college, doesn't want to get married) but I get enough interesting experiences from being with her that I might. I'm not sure if we should just be friends or not though.

Why not?

What if you knew it would be a great relationship but it ended because one of you had to move away or something like that? Also, what if you knew it would be a shit storm of a marriage would you still do it?
      Look at yourself in the mirror and tell me what a man is without pride, tell me what a man is without fire in his eyes.

YO_VANILLA wrote:

Why not?

What if you knew it would be a great relationship but it ended because one of you had to move away or something like that? Also, what if you knew it would be a shit storm of a marriage would you still do it?

You mean get married if you knew it was gonna suck?

[/CENTER]

Ghukek wrote:

I'm fine with dating if you are unsure if the relationship will or will not work out, but as soon as the relationship is obviously going nowhere, it's time to end it... regardless of whether or not you can still squeeze a few months or years out of it.

But he said if you knew from the beginning that it wouldn't...

[/CENTER]

I definatley would. I'm unsure at this point if I will be getting married anyway or what is going to happen even a year from now, so you might as well enjoy the time you have together. As others have already said, most relationships don't last till marriage and not even that lasts forever. what is more important is to focus on the now in the relationship and getting that to work; trying to hone in on variables that could happen in the future only leads to anxiety. to be honest, anyone you meet before age 23-25 you probably aren't going to end up marrying now a days. marriage isn't some golden holy land of relationships either.

I would, but not necessarily knowing it won't last on a conscious level. See, I tend to be very impulsive when it comes to getting into a relationship with someone, so I'm not thinking as far ahead as marriage, but I never expect the relationship to last forever.

endgame wrote:

trying to hone in on variables that could happen in the future only leads to anxiety. to be honest, anyone you meet before age 23-25 you probably aren't going to end up marrying now a days. marriage isn't some golden holy land of relationships either.

Can't agree more with the bold words. It's true, it screws relationships because one might be paranoid with the thought of commitment.

Ari Gold wrote:

No. Why would I want to the little time I have on this earth with someone I knew isn't the right one for me?

Because there are many things to understand about relationships; how it works, how do boyfriends/girlfriends usually feel/think. Furthermore, when someone is right for me, it doesn't mean that I am right for he/she. So in the end, it might not turn out well at all and one is left alone.

Jack Havock wrote:

I'm not sure. A month ago I would have said no, but right now I'm almost in a relationship with someone that I'm 95% sure I won't marry (she wants to leave for college, doesn't want to get married) but I get enough interesting experiences from being with her that I might. I'm not sure if we should just be friends or not though.

Tell me how it goes :)