High school graduate looking for advice

• High school graduate looking for advice

Hi everyone
      I'm 18 from Arizona, native american,high school graduate. Graduated last year of 2012 dec 19 th. With a 3.6 GPA
      My family have been asking. Wether or not if I'm going to college. I decided I want to very much, feel excited about it.:p
      I would be so grateful to receive any advice and ideas.
      About anything doing with scholarships, grants, and which state it's best to check out for colleges. I live with a small budget.
      I want to be careful of which one I chose, and go to.
      The kind of college, I want to go to is a community college,that's with dorms or On Campus housing,cafeteria, diversity.
      I plan to finish off my general education first before I decide on a professional major.

Thank for taking the time to look over this, and replying. :D
      The next six months, I'm going to work full time to, to buy a moped. Wish me luck :D
      *-Sharpie-*
    • Re: High school graduate looking for advice

Do not go into debt. It's not worth it.

Work your way through college, get scholarships, or have your parents pay. If necessary, go into the military and have them pay your way.

If you are studious and self motivated, study for and take some CLEP and DSST tests. These are standardized tests that are accepted by many colleges as credit. Check with the college you want to graduate from to see which tests and how many they will take. These are literally a fraction of the cost of an actual course. They can cut your expenses by a lot. They will cover a lot of your general education.

I ended up getting a little over 90 credits through testing and the rest through online courses at Thomas Edison State College. This took me two years for a Bachelors in Communications. The final cost? Somewhere around 16K.
      - Ghukek
    • Re: High school graduate looking for advice

Ghukek wrote:

Do not go into debt. It's not worth it.

Work your way through college, get scholarships, or have your parents pay. If necessary, go into the military and have them pay your way.

If you are studious and self motivated, study for and take some CLEP and DSST tests. These are standardized tests that are accepted by many colleges as credit. Check with the college you want to graduate from to see which tests and how many they will take. These are literally a fraction of the cost of an actual course. They can cut your expenses by a lot. They will cover a lot of your general education.

I ended up getting a little over 90 credits through testing and the rest through online courses at Thomas Edison State College. This took me two years for a Bachelors in Communications. The final cost? Somewhere around 16K.

Damn, I'm doing a 4 year Bachelor of Science degree Specialization in Kinesiology, and my first year alone I'm dropping 17k... #CanadaProblems