Do you think today's music is garbage?

• Do you think today's music is garbage?

I believe that just about every big label artist today is complete shit. Every song seems to be trying to imitate every other one, creating an endless chain of music that sounds very similar. I can't understand how people enjoy the "music" that plagues the airwaves such as Justin Bieber, P!NK, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Bruno Mars and...you get the point. I could go on forever listing artists that have no musical nor emotional significance to their music. So do you agree that the music being produced today is bad? If not please, provide reasons.

PS, if you like any of the above mentioned artists, please don't be offended.
    • Re: Do you think today's music is garbage?

eh its not all shit there is some good stuff out from nowadays and yea i'd say older things like the 80s/90s and early 2000s was really good ^^
      idk music is music,always gonna find good and shit in it no matter what time "era" or genre, everyone has there opinions and what u dont like someone out there is bound to be a fan of it :)
      its all bout taste

shatteredangel22 wrote:

eh its not all shit there is some good stuff out from nowadays and yea i'd say older things like the 80s/90s and early 2000s was really good ^^
      idk music is music,always gonna find good and shit in it no matter what time "era" or genre, everyone has there opinions and what u dont like someone out there is bound to be a fan of it :)
      its all bout taste

I have never lived in the eighties and was only an infant in the 90's but listening to the pop music from then and comparing it the pop music now makes me think that it was so much better. I mean, I don't particularly like pop music in general, but the 90's and before stuff is SO MUCH BETTER than today's offerings.

Eminemaniac wrote:

It's not all shit - you just have to search a bit harder for the good stuff. The songs that get released as singles are not usually the best songs on an album - they're the ones that either sound appealing to a wider audience (code for cliche) or they're the ones that are the easiest to censor.

yup good point :)

Well, they're still talented, for instance Bruno Mars surely is.

Pop is too mainstream nowadays, and there are so many listeners out there, so many singers divert towards that path. Taylor Swift for example, got famous through country music, but she's doing half-pop right now.

The music decades ago, like ballad, is great and well-known. I was lucky to be influenced by my dad.
      "You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like Heaven."

I think there's great music today. Simple plan, Ed Sheeran, New Medicine, ECT. They have lyrics that actually mean something. I get what you mean though, like "ass ass ass ass ass ass ass now shake that mfin ass" Doesn't touch my soul like ed sheeran's "I could do without a tan, on my left hand, where my fourth finger meets my knuckle" :) I also happen to love Bruno Mars, He's amazing, and i don't think he falls in the same category as Katy Perry or Rihanna.
      [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Take a breath, I pull myself together
      Just another step until I reach the door.. [/FONT]

Eminemaniac wrote:

It's not all shit - you just have to search a bit harder for the good stuff. The songs that get released as singles are not usually the best songs on an album - they're the ones that either sound appealing to a wider audience (code for cliche) or they're the ones that are the easiest to censor.

This.

Some of my favorite bands are rather new. You can't generalize and entire generation of music based on the shitty manufactured talent that comes out of the pop media that buys it way to the top of the lists.

There's a lot of good music these days, it's just most of it is underground. Pop and RnB hit their peak in the 80's and early 90's but it's in a fairly bad place now. The problem with those genres is that they became driven by record labels that decided to constantly try to churn out identical acts of "vocal prodigies" that could sing and dance, but couldn't write their own songs, or sing/dance with the passion of the artists they were mirroring (Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna). That's not to say that Pop is bad these days, there are artists out there that make music that's challenging and interesting (Lady Gaga's music is definitely unique in the sense that it has it's own personality but is also catchy and pop at the same time) but most music sounds the same overall. I remember reading this study last year about how most pop music from the passed few years (2010-2012) actually all used similar chord progressions and drum kits/ synth patches, pretty much affirming that most pop music is prepackaged now.

But some great groups/artists out there are:
      The Flaming Lips
      Frank Ocean
      Bruno Mars (at least his album sounds unique and uses real instruments :P)
      Tegan and Sara
      Neon Indian
      MGMT
      "If you're sick of evil knocking on your door, throw up the love sign once and forever more"

I like some music from all of these singers/groups: Bieber, 1D, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Carly Rae Jepson...but then, I just recently got into current music and I can be very 'average teen girl' about these kind of things.
      "I think you call me 'Sexy'." "Only when we're alone!" "We are alone." "Come on then, Sexy."
      ~I am the Doctor's Sexy

Thanks for the responses guys. I just wanted to put it out there that much of what you would hear on the average radio station is terrible in my opinion And about Bruno Mars, OK he doesn't use autotune nor synthesized shit in his music, and I'll give him credit for that and regard him in a slightly higher manner than artists who don't use real instruments. But his voice just annoys the hell out of me and the topics of his songs all seem to be superficial. However, repeating what I said earlier, I will give Bruno Mars props for not trying to sound exactly the same as everyone else.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muffinhead123 ().