Help with losing weight?

• Help with losing weight?

Hey, I'm 16, male, and I'm around 13 stone and 12 pounds.

I know this isn't a healthy weight for someone my age, and I wanted to ask the opinions of the people on here on how I should lose weight..

I'm not much of an exercising kind of person, so that wouldn't appeal to me..

I'd like to be able to quickly, but not rapidly lose weight without the aid of physical activity.

I was thinking of having a banana or something for breakfast before school, and then taking nothing at breaktime or lunchtime, waiting until my evening meal, is this a good idea?

P.S, this is my first post on here, hi!
    • Re: Help with losing weight?

Hello welcome since this is your first post :) i lost 3 stone not sure how much in pounds or kilos but anyway i highly suggest u dont skip meals and just slowly cut down and gradually introduce healthy alternatives or lil amounts as going straight into a healthy diet can be daughting and can make you want unhealthy food even more.I would suggest sum exercise try and find something u enjoy you dont have to be a fitness freak just a few intensive workouts or runs one or twice a week but u can lose weight purely on the food you eat but please be gradual no starving

Agree with the above poster. However I read that 65% of obese / overweight people over eat out of boredom. Try and find something active that you can enjoy and use to keep your brain engaged. Sports are good but just simple outdoor activities can be just as good too. See if you can team up with people in similar situations that want to loose weight because you can help motivate each other and even have light hearted competitiveness. Healthy eating is important though even if you are skinny or what people call "normal" size eating the wrong foods can still affect your fitness. Speak with a doctor about how to introduce a healthy diet and maybe help your parents do the grocery shopping so you can get a feel for what is healthy. Hope this helps :D

Skipping meals is a stupid idea.
      Not only is it unhealthy, but it will slow weight loss, possibly stop it all together and make you regain it once you start eating regularly.

Eat 5-6 SMALL meals per day.
      Small does not mean a big mac and fries.
      Small does also not mean just a small piece of fruit.

At the end of my post, I will give you a good sample meal plan for a day, including some portion sizes.
      However, first I'm going to inform you that if you truly want to lose weight quickly, you're going to have to suck it up and burn some additional calories by exercising.
      It does not have to be heavy exercise.
      Go for a walk.
      Go for a bike ride.
      Go swimming.
      Just get your ass moving and your heart rate up a little bit, it's not difficult.

Food wise, stop eating off a full dinner plate. Nobody needs that much food at any given meal and we're brainwashed to believe otherwise. Use a lunch plate for all meals.(smaller than dinner plate, larger than a tea cup saucer) The plate should ideally be divided into 50% fruits/veggies, 25% protein and 25% complex carbs.

The lunch plate rule also does not work if you stack your food a mile high on it.
      Don't pile your food more than 1 inch off the plate.(however, watery, non starchy veggies are usually a safe bet to pile up on since they're low calorie, however don't over eat at any meal.)

For example, 1 serving of protein would be about 4 oz of chicken.(This is when a food scale comes in handy) but it's about the same general size as a stack of playing cards.

Always try to have at least 2 different types of watery, non starchy veggies with at least 3 of your meals.

Complex carbs are what help you feel fuller, longer, but you do not need a lot of them.
      These carbs include your whole grain breads,pastas,oatmeal,starchy/root veggies etc. A typical serving size for something like pasta is 1/2 cup COOKED, or ONE slice of bread/toast etc.

This means having a nice big plate of pasta is not feasible.
      It should be a small side dish only.
      Also, simple carbs, like candy and crackers/chips,most cold cereals, are just fillers. Your body metabolizes them quickly so they have little nutritional value,they're packed with calories and you will feel hungry soon after eating them. Stop eating these.

Also, stop drinking your calories. You don't need that shit. This includes diet sodas and juices.
      Stick to water,green tea, occasional coffee.

A decent meal plan for one day would look like this

Breakfast;

1 whole egg + 1 egg white omelette w/ diced onions,peppers,spinach & 2 tbsp low fat cheddar cheese(or whatever veggies you prefer)
      1 slice of whole wheat toast with butter/natural peanut butter/almond butter
      1/3 cup 1% cottage cheese and your choice of a piece of fruit

Mid Morning Snack;
      20 frozen(or unfrozen) grapes(I prefer them frozen) or an apple sliced up,baked/microwaved w/ cinnamon on top.

Lunch;
      Grilled chicken breast(optional) chopped up on a bed of spinach(really can never have too much leafy greens. They're low calorie and taste good) with 1 tsp of sunflower seeds,low fat oil based dressing(I like oil& vinegar w/ some garlic and pepper), 2 tbsp low fat cheddar cheese and some other chopped veggies of your choosing.

Afternoon Snack;
      -1/2 can of tuna (mixed with 1/2 low fat mayo and 1/2 mustard)with pickles diced up in it either wrapped in leaf lettuce or on 1 slice whole wheat bread as an open faced sandwich
      -1 stalk of celery/some cucumber dipped in whatever low fat veggie dip/salad dressing you like.

Dinner;

-4oz salmon fillet
      -steamed green beans with 1.5 cm cube of light feta cheese
      -1/3 cup cooked brown rice
      -1/4 cup caramelized onions

Evening snack/Dessert(optional);
      -Make your own home made "ice cream" with pureed frozen bananas,natural peanut butter and cocoa
      or
      -1/2 cup mixed berries w/ 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla yogurt is one of my favorites.

It's difficult, trust me.
      I used to like the convenience of shitty food and I hated exercising for anything other than playing soccer.
      However, once I was actually eating the healthy food for 1-2 weeks and making myself do some regular exercise, it became much easier and the cravings I always got for shitty food went away. I lost 30lbs in the span of 3 months and kept it off, even now that I'm pregnant I've mostly lost weight the first 5 months, and I've only gained 2lbs back so far, and I've been eating some shitty food too.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Shonna ().

Shonna wrote:

Skipping meals is a stupid idea.
      Not only is it unhealthy, but it will slow weight loss, possibly stop it all together and make you regain it once you start eating regularly.

Eat 5-6 SMALL meals per day.
      Small does not mean a big mac and fries.
      Small does also not mean just a small piece of fruit.

At the end of my post, I will give you a good sample meal plan for a day, including portion sizes.
      However, first I'm going to inform you that if you truly want to lose weight quickly, you're going to have to suck it up and burn some additional calories by exercising.
      It does not have to be heavy exercise.
      Go for a walk.
      Go for a bike ride.
      Go swimming.
      Just get your ass moving and your heart rate up a little bit, it's not difficult.

Food wise, stop eating off a full dinner plate. Nobody needs that much food at any given meal and we're brainwashed to believe otherwise. Use a lunch plate for all meals.(smaller than dinner plate, larger than a tea cup saucer) The plate should ideally be divided into 50% fruits/veggies, 25% protein and 25% complex carbs.

The lunch plate rule also does not work if you stack your food a mile high on it.
      Don't pile your food more than 1 inch off the plate.

For example, 1 serving of protein would be about 4 oz of chicken.(This is when a food scale comes in handy) but it's about the same general size as a stack of playing cards.

Always try to have at least 2 different types of watery, non starchy veggies with at least 3 of your meals.

Complex carbs are what help you feel fuller, longer, but you do not need a lot of them.
      These carbs include your whole grain breads,pastas,oatmeal,starchy/root veggies etc. A typical serving size for something like pasta is 1/2 cup COOKED, or ONE slice of bread/toast etc.

This means having a nice big plate of pasta is not feasible.
      It should be a small side dish only.
      Also, simple carbs, like candy and crackers/chips,most cold cereals, are just fillers. Your body metabolizes them quickly so they have little nutritional value,they're packed with calories and you will feel hungry soon after eating them. Stop eating these.

Also, stop drinking your calories. You don't need that shit. This includes diet sodas and juices.
      Stick to water,green tea, occasional coffee.

A decent meal plan for one day would look like this

Breakfast;

1 whole egg + 1 egg white omelette w/ diced onions,peppers,spinach & 2 tbsp low fat cheddar cheese(or whatever veggies you prefer)
      1 slice of whole wheat toast with butter/natural peanut butter/almond butter
      1/3 cup 1% cottage cheese and your choice of a piece of fruit

Mid Morning Snack;
      20 frozen(or unfrozen) grapes(I prefer them frozen) or an apple sliced up,baked/microwaved w/ cinnamon on top.

Lunch;
      Grilled chicken breast chopped up on a bed of spinach(really can never have too much leafy greens. They're low calorie and taste good) with 1 tsp of sunflower seeds,low fat oil based dressing(I like oil& vinegar w/ some garlic and pepper), 2 tbsp low fat cheddar cheese and some other chopped veggies of your choosing.

Afternoon Snack;
      -1/2 can of tuna (mixed with 1/2 low fat mayo and 1/2 mustard)with pickles diced up in it either wrapped in leaf lettuce or on 1 slice whole wheat bread as an open faced sandwich
      -1 stalk of celery/some cucumber dipped in whatever low fat veggie dip/salad dressing you like.

Dinner;

-4oz salmon fillet
      -steamed green beans with 1.5 cm cube of light feta cheese
      -1/3 cup cooked brown rice
      -1/4 cup caramelized onions

Evening snack/Dessert(optional);
      -Make your own home made "ice cream" with pureed frozen bananas,natural peanut butter and cocoa
      or
      -1/2 cup mixed berries w/ 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla yogurt is one of my favorites.

It's difficult, trust me.
      I used to like the convenience of shitty food and I hated exercising for anything other than playing soccer.
      However, once I was actually eating the healthy food for 1-2 weeks and making myself do some regular exercise, it became much easier and the cravings I always got for shitty food went away. I lost 30lbs in the span of 3 months and kept it off, even now that I'm pregnant I've mostly lost weight the first 5 months, and I've only gained 2lbs back so far, and I've been eating some shitty food too.

Just listen to every Shonna said, it nailed all the key points.