18 years old and scared of adult life

• 18 years old and scared of adult life

I’m eighteen years old and I’m scared to finish high school, go to college and eventually live on my own. I’m scared of working a shitty dead-end job so I can live in some shitty apartment. I come from a well-off family so I don’t think I’ll be able to handle having so little money (and managing it). I probably won’t have enough to eat; none of the things I’ve taken for granted like TV, computer, oven, fridge, which I won’t have when I’m living on my own. The only thing I fear more is having to move back in with my parents; or disappointing them by showing them that they wasted 18 years to raise a nobody. I’m scared to die alone; I know no one’s ever going to marry me and I don’t know if I’m gonna make friends because of my social anxiety. I’ve heard that when you’re an adult, the world is cruel and everyone is against you, and no matter how much effort you put in you still might end up a failure. Is there any way to better prepare myself for life?
    • Re: 18 years old and scared of adult life

They say everyone is against you because most adults have given up. They do what they think they should do and get a job they hate but think thats what they're supposed to do because that's what their parents did.
      You can think for yourself, don't get a shitty job if you don't want one. There's no point to life if we're just going to force ourselves to do things we hate. Search your mind for what you really want to spend your time doing, that something that will have you jumping out of bed. And most of all, don't believe what other people tell you about life. There's a million perspectives on life, don't settle for a shitty one. The only advice you should take is this one: only take advice form people who are happy with their life.

I can relate, I'm 19 and the thought of life on my own scares me. I have social anxiety too, and a phobia that my mom has helped me through to this point, and I'm scared to have to deal with it on my own. My best advice is, baby steps.

And don't say no one will marry you, I don't believe that. ;)
      "I think you call me 'Sexy'." "Only when we're alone!" "We are alone." "Come on then, Sexy."
      ~I am the Doctor's Sexy

Wow you are assuming that your life is going to suck.
      Don't move out until you are ready (unless your parents
      are focing you to move out). I understand because I''ll be
      eighteen soon and I'm scared of living on my own. but
      that's part of being an adult you have to do it sometime.

But, you could stay with your parents at least your first
      year of college focus on school and also get a job. You could
      try paying for things on your own that your parents usually
      pay for (phone,gas,car payment etc.)

that's what I'm going
      to do when I get a job so my parents don't always have to
      babysit me.

Hey, now. I used to have the same view as you. I'm 19 and I moved out a month after my birthday (about 4 months ago). It's honestly not that bad... Just get a place that's not over your budget or future budget and get a good job. I have two jobs and the people at both of my jobs are nice people for the most part. School should introduce you to some people and you'll get friends that way. It's a scary thing though. I'm honestly still frightened of further in the future but it's really not that bad... I do live with my boyfriend but the same concepts exist.

I'm sure you'll do really fine! A lot of people are terrifed at first but really start to enjoy the experience over time. And college should be an awesome way to get accustomed to an independent life. Anyway, I'm sure you'll still be able to afford a lot of the things in your parent's house whether you took them for granted or not.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to really go after what makes you happies. A lot of times we get caught up in standardized test scores and grades and good resumes that we do whatever it takes without being happy, often leading to dead end or boring jobs. Just take college to find your passion and where you're happy and I don't think it can ever lead to a dead end life.
      Signature removed by staff. You must have 50 posts in order to provide a link in your signature.

Nick* wrote:

They say everyone is against you because most adults have given up. They do what they think they should do and get a job they hate but think thats what they're supposed to do because that's what their parents did.
      You can think for yourself, don't get a shitty job if you don't want one. There's no point to life if we're just going to force ourselves to do things we hate. Search your mind for what you really want to spend your time doing, that something that will have you jumping out of bed. And most of all, don't believe what other people tell you about life. There's a million perspectives on life, don't settle for a shitty one. The only advice you should take is this one: only take advice form people who are happy with their life.

nice answer Nick.
      Link(s) removed by staff member
      [size=1]A minimum of 50 posts is required before links (excluding TeenHut.net) may be posted in signatures. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines to prevent further action(s).[/size]

I have the same situation. I'm 18 years old, I'm going to college next semester, and I come from a pretty well-off family.

See, here's the thing. You assume on the negative side of things. You assume that you're going to end up with a shitty apartment, a shitty job, and all that shitty stuff. Why do you assume all this? You fear what's coming ahead of you. There should be no fear at all.

The future is an indefinite thing, it's a piece of blank paper sitting right in front of you and you're the one holding the pen. As long as you try to write positive things, it should come out in your favor. Don't let fear riddle holes in you.

Everything is going to be alright. I'm ready to face what's coming ahead, and you should join me. Great things are ready to come, that's what I'm writing on my piece of blank paper.

Keep your chin up :)